Baltimore and Washington DC on the same trip?

William W

OK, let's get a little geography straight here. A Comfort Inn on Glebe is not in Pentagon City in the eyes of anyone who works in the area. You'll have to drive, or get a shuttle. It's probably a mile and a half from either Metro stop.

The Sheraton on Orme is still not at Pentagon City. You again have to either drive about a mile, and your GPS will probably take you the long way as the short way cuts through one of the Pentagon parking lots, or again use a hotel shuttle. It's a nice hotel.

The only hotel that's "at" Pentagon City is the Ritz Carlton. There's a Residence Inn on Army-Navy that's walkable, as well as a Doubletree. For Crystal City, the hotels within an easy walk are all full service hotels. The Crystal City Marriott, Gateway Marriott, Sheraton Crystal City, and Crown Plaza are the most convenient. The Hyatt is a walk.

Someone previously posted a $99 rate at the Crystal Gateway. If you can get that for four, take it. You are literally on top of the Metro stop.

The cheaper places you see are cheaper for a reason. And, yes, I work there.

Thanks........that's why I tend to stick with the Crystal City properties....they're all pretty close to, or on top of, Metro

The Gateway is awesome...fall down the elevator, through the lobby, walk down the tunnel and you're there!

• 8 months later...

Most everything in DC is free. Know that the Smithsonian is MANY museums and they are for the most part, close to one another

Parking in DC is not cheap, so you may be able to find a hotel package that includes parking......

Remember, DC gets HOT in August....keep that in mind.....not sure of your dates since I have signatures shut off, but if you want to post the date you'd need a hotel in DC, we can look for you...

Since you want to explore Baltimore, I would for a hotel in the White Marsh area, or over by the airport, keeping in mind rates will be higher on a week day...and park at the pier so you don't have to wait for a shuttle and waste an hour....

I am considering maybe taking an extra day before our cruise to check out the area around the White House. I have only drove through this area once (by mistake) doing a "spur of the moment" trip driving until we wanted to stop...having no idea where we were headed and ended up going around this area. I can remember me saying "Oh my gosh, is that the White House??? How did we end up here?". I knew I always wanted to return and see the sites.

We are planning on staying at a hotel closer to the port in Baltimore (for the cruise and park package with free shuttle) and don't have a problem driving the hour+ to get here for the day and back.

I just wanted to book mark this since it has some useful information for us or places to go and see while there.

What/where is there parking here? We will be here on the weekend, on Easter weekend to be exact. I have read that the traffic is not as bad and more places to park during weekends and holidays. Do you park on the street? Parking garage? Cost?

Thanks in advance. :)

I am considering maybe taking an extra day before our cruise to check out the area around the White House. I have only drove through this area once (by mistake) doing a "spur of the moment" trip driving until we wanted to stop...having no idea where we were headed and ended up going around this area. I can remember me saying "Oh my gosh, is that the White House??? How did we end up here?". I knew I always wanted to return and see the sites.

We are planning on staying at a hotel closer to the port in Baltimore (for the cruise and park package with free shuttle) and don't have a problem driving the hour+ to get here for the day and back.

I just wanted to book mark this since it has some useful information for us or places to go and see while there.

What/where is there parking here? We will be here on the weekend, on Easter weekend to be exact. I have read that the traffic is not as bad and more places to park during weekends and holidays. Do you park on the street? Parking garage? Cost?

Just answered your other post on taking the train.

Yes, there is parking in the area. Figure $20 for a garage; $50 + for a DC parking ticket if you park in the wrong place on the street...

If you look up Parking Panda or ParkWhiz and search for the White House, you should find some parking garages in the area. You can actually pre-pay if you like, and have a definite address for the GPS. There are several garages along F Street and G Street around 14th Street; that's a 10-15 minute walk to the White House.

This is really a personal comfort type of thing, as it's not that difficult to drive in DC, but it can be confusing if you're not familiar with the area.

I live in the area and usually park in DC rather than metro it in when I have the family. My favorite place to park is the Ronald Reagan building on 14th. It is very easy to get into as it is right off I395 (which literally turns into 14th street). It always has spaces. You can actually park a larger car/van/SUV in most of the spaces, something that can be a real challenge in your average DC underground garage. And, most importantly, it has a mall with a food court and bathrooms in the building above it. When travelling with kids, finding bathrooms is always a pain. On weekends it is $14 per day, flat rate. It is more during the week. From there you end up right on one end of the mall and just off Pennsylvania avenue. All of the museums/white house/capital/ monuments are wakable (in theory). But do remember that DC blocks are very looooooong. This is the best location for white house, natural history museum, art museum, archives, american history museum, newseum. The air and space and native american museums are directly across the mall. It is a little longer to the capital. Close enough to Washington monument but maybe a hike to the lincoln/MLK/roosevelt/WW2. Those can be done pretty easily with street parking over by those monuments if you really want to.

Great tip! I've been to that RR building for events but I always assumed the garage would be closed to the public on weekends. $14 flat is great.

Do you have to leave the garage at a certain time?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It is a 24 hour garage and their "day" starts at 3am. But you don't want to be hanging around in that area after dark or when the museums start closing on weekends. This is true for most locations on the mall!! Not much going on except trouble when museums shut down!

While I was searching for where to stay on my upcoming cruise on the Breakaway, I saw my thread from last year got bump. Anyways, we ended up staying at the Holiday Inn Rosslyn at Key Bridge in Washington DC. The room was fairly spacious, parking is included at their adjoining parkade which is a big plus, it is 2 blocks/10 mins walk from the subway station. And it has a grocery store near by. I would not hesitate to stay there again.

BTW, I always enjoyed your extensive reviews!

While I was searching for where to stay on my upcoming cruise on the Breakaway, I saw my thread from last year got bump. Anyways, we ended up staying at the Holiday Inn Rosslyn at Key Bridge in Washington DC. The room was fairly spacious, parking is included at their adjoining parkade which is a big plus, it is 2 blocks/10 mins walk from the subway station. And it has a grocery store near by. I would not hesitate to stay there again.

Thanks for the info. Do you know if it's one of the places that they normally offer on some of the sites mentioned for a good "deal"?

Thanks for the info. Do you know if it's one of the places that they normally offer on some of the sites mentioned for a good "deal"?

I booked mine through a hint, hint "Last Minute Travel" website. And the rates they advertised was about 30% cheaper than the rates from the hotel websites. Though, I don't see them being listed on that site for the coming Easter Weekend.

I booked mine through a hint, hint "Last Minute Travel" website. And the rates they advertised was about 30% cheaper than the rates from the hotel websites. Though, I don't see them being listed on that site for the coming Easter Weekend.

Awesome. I have used LMT before and will check them out for this place as well as others if it's not on there and see what I can come up with. Thanks!

Awesome. I have used LMT before and will check them out for this place as well as others if it's not on there and see what I can come up with. Thanks!

Just a word of warning: Easter week is Spring Break on almost the entire East Coast, and DC is a very popular destination for Spring Break. I'd seriously consider making a standard booking through the hotel for safety (will probably be a 6:00 p.m. cancellation) if you're going to play the lottery on a late price drop...

Just a word of warning: Easter week is Spring Break on almost the entire East Coast, and DC is a very popular destination for Spring Break. I'd seriously consider making a standard booking through the hotel for safety (will probably be a 6:00 p.m. cancellation) if you're going to play the lottery on a late price drop...

I usually don't play the lottery game waiting on price drops. I just haven't got around to even looking into getting a place yet. I have a cruise in 36 days that I have been trying to concentrate on and just haven't thought about it until now. I guess I should get a move on it then. :p :o

Oh wait, you said in Washington DC. I didn't catch that the first time around. We aren't going to be staying in Washington. We will be staying in Baltimore. :)

I went with the "LMT Club" version. You can google the coupon code that would waive the membership fee. The club version actually disclose the neame of the hotel on the search page, plus, it gives a better price than their non-club version.

I haven't been to DC for 50 years. But I remember taking my 4o kids (ages, 2,5,9 and11_

on a bus tour. I don't remember that the line was called. Bit, I'm sure it's still there under

some name. At the Lincoln memorial, we took the elevator to the top and walked down?

I was carrying the almost 2, holding the hand of my 5 year old and the other 2 walked (ran)

down to the next level. We enjoyed everything we saw. My husband was in a business

meeting. In those days, we had no internet. I used Mobil Guide. lol

Correction: we were back about 25 years ago.

You'll enjoy grandeur. Try the roast beef sandwiches.

joann

I haven't been to DC for 50 years. But I remember taking my 4o kids (ages, 2,5,9 and11_

on a bus tour. I don't remember that the line was called. Bit, I'm sure it's still there under

some name. At the Lincoln memorial, we took the elevator to the top and walked down?

I was carrying the almost 2, holding the hand of my 5 year old and the other 2 walked (ran)

down to the next level. We enjoyed everything we saw. My husband was in a business

meeting. In those days, we had no internet. I used Mobil Guide. lol

Correction: we were back about 25 years ago.

You'll enjoy grandeur. Try the roast beef sandwiches.

joann

A lot has changed...

The Tourmobile went out of business in 2011. There are a couple of bus tour companies still in town, but nothing like the Tourmobile (IMHO).

And the elevator is to the top of the Washington Monument. You now need to make reservations in advance, and I don't think you can walk down anymore. Times have changed in DC...