Tips

Just returned from Jewel of the Seas ending in San Juan. When you get off the ship if you are getting a taxi, watch out for people trying to help you, they do nothing and want a tip!!

Just returned from Jewel of the Seas ending in San Juan. When you get off the ship if you are getting a taxi, watch out for people trying to help you, they do nothing and want a tip!!

Just curious. If people are trying to "help" you how is it they "do nothing"? Almost all people that expect/receive tips do "something" for you.

I would be curious to understand this better too. What do they seem to be offering as "help"? And what are they doing, to indicate they want a tip, if they did not do it? (Just trying to get a visual ).

Every taxi stand (at airports, ships, etc...) have someone who tells the taxi to "come on" to the next potential passenger. Sort of like a parking valet. At hotels, we do tip them. At airports, ships, etc...we don't!

Tipping is totally up to you.

When we got off Freedom last year in PC, the porter who assisted us with our bags in the baggae area was real good. Got our bags and our customs declarations and tokk us straight through with no wait at all, handing the declarations to the customs agent (We didn't even have to show our passports) and right to a taxi outside without having to hail one. Needless to say he received a good tip! :cool:

Edited by bigque

my advice is stop tipping everyone. no extra tips , remove daily tip charges also. Maybe then corporates will pay the staff accordingly.

And raise the price to the consumer. :rolleyes:

my advice is stop tipping everyone. no extra tips , remove daily tip charges also. Maybe then corporates will pay the staff accordingly.

This was not another thread about on board tipping!

that is all fine by me, as long as they stop calling it "tips" and then expect an extra tip at the end.

It really is time to take a break from all the not tipping stuff. You've made your point, several times, stop beating that poor dead horse!

It really is time to take a break from all the not tipping stuff. You've made your point, several times, stop beating that poor dead horse!

if it is so redundant many would not keep missing the point. I always tip , but at my discretion not royals.

if it is so redundant many would not keep missing the point. I always tip , but at my discretion not royals.

But as previously stated this theread is not about tipping on board the ship, why are you taking it there???

But as previously stated this theread is not about tipping on board the ship, why are you taking it there???

That is the difference between debate and a troll, which is why I have blocked them.

What OP is saying, I think, is that when you exit the terminal and go to the taxi line someone comes over acting like the taxi driver...grabs your luggage and loads it into the taxi, just like a cab driver would. The taxi is right there so no hauling or value added. He then says give me a tip. I have no problem tipping but I am accustomed to tipping the taxi driver for that service. Basically you are expected to tip twice for the service.

We have only had it happen once out of 4 trips in San Juan and next time if someone grabs my luggage I will make sure they are the taxi driver.

Our taxi driver shrugged his shoulders and basically said there isn't much they can do and the only way to stop it is for everyone to quit tipping these people. Not going to happen when there are so many first timers unaware of these tip scavengers.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

But what about all the people who serve you throughout your cruise and you don't even see them? You are stiffing them out of their tips.

perhaps it can be confusing and difficult to distinguish between a nice person who simply wants to help and wants nothing in return and a person who uses that expectation to trick a person to "owing" them.

What OP is saying, I think, is that when you exit the terminal and go to the taxi line someone comes over acting like the taxi driver...grabs your luggage and loads it into the taxi, just like a cab driver would. The taxi is right there so no hauling or value added. He then says give me a tip. I have no problem tipping but I am accustomed to tipping the taxi driver for that service. Basically you are expected to tip twice for the service.

We have only had it happen once out of 4 trips in San Juan and next time if someone grabs my luggage I will make sure they are the taxi driver.

Our taxi driver shrugged his shoulders and basically said there isn't much they can do and the only way to stop it is for everyone to quit tipping these people. Not going to happen when there are so many first timers unaware of these tip scavengers.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I agree that these warnings are warranted. On my many resort trips to PR, Mexico, and Dominican Republic there are always people (my DF calls them "mosquitos" who will literally snatch your luggage from your hands if you let them. They will ask which hotel and if you want a taxi.

Some will take you across the airport lobby to timeshare leaches who will offer you free transport to your hotel if you signup for their timeshare pitch. If you decline they tell you the taxis are outdoors and leave you to walk to them on your own.

Others will take your luggage 20 feet (or less) to the airport exit taxi stand. In all cases they ask for a tip after doing nothing for you. They got me one time only. Now I ignore them.