Seven Mile Beach

craigtompkins

I've been to Grand Cayman a few times and have done an island tour including Hell and turtle farm as well as the semi-submersible boat a couple times. We just booked a cruise for 2 weeks from now and are looking for something new to do. We will have my 12 year old son who has not been here and my 10 year old nephew who has never cruised before.

Because we only stop at Cozumel and Grand Cayman I'm thinking a beach day here is in order. So my question really is: Is Seven Mile Beach the best place to go? If not, where; If so, what part? We like soft white sand without a lot of rocks.

TIA

Craig

I've been to Grand Cayman a few times and have done an island tour including Hell and turtle farm as well as the semi-submersible boat a couple times. We just booked a cruise for 2 weeks from now and are looking for something new to do. We will have my 12 year old son who has not been here and my 10 year old nephew who has never cruised before.

Because we only stop at Cozumel and Grand Cayman I'm thinking a beach day here is in order. So my question really is: Is Seven Mile Beach the best place to go? If not, where; If so, what part? We like soft white sand without a lot of rocks.

TIA

Craig

Honestly, I'd save the beach day for Cozumel, where there are beach clubs with activities and stuff for the boys (like water toys at Paradise Beach) and take them to Stingray City. That's a perfect age for them to be there. I think they'd love it.

The wife and I have done stingray city (me twice), I don't know how I forgot to include that!

We actually plan on doing Paradise Beach in Cozumel, but we tend to hang at the pool there more than the beach due to the quality of the sand.

Yes..that's a nice area.....the sand in the Caribbean isn't like the sand in the US....it's firmer and made mostly of finely crushed shell/coral, unlike US beaches where the sand is mainly finely crushed rock. The beach isn't rocky there....it's lovely. Caribbean beaches are much narrower than most beaches we are used to...

Deciding between Royal Palms and Westin. Do we just hop off the bus and go to the beach? Don't they (especially Westin) frown upon non-guests coming to their property to use their facilities for the day? I just don't wanna get in trouble.

Hotels like the Westin won't let you use their facilities unless you purchase one of the rarely-offered day passes.

If you don't want to purchase a day pass (if even available) then you have to go to one of the beach clubs like Royal Palms if you want a section of beach with facilities to use.

Can you purchase a day pass at time of visit or do you have to do it in advance? We don't need a room, but would be willing to pay for the use of the other facilities.

It depends. Sometimes, you can book in advance with the hotel. Sometimes, they'll say no passes are available. Some people have reported being able, in very slow times, to walk in and get a pass day of. Some people have reported being turned away. It all depends on how busy they are with stay-over guests.

Out of curiosity, you don't need a room, why do you want a hotel? All of the beach clubs have great facilities. Only Royal Palms has an entry fee, $2pp, mainly because they also have an adults-only pool. You can rent loungers, use the restrooms and showers, buy food/drink, rent watersports items, etc. at all of the main sections of Seven Mile Beach...

Resort For A Day has booked us with the Westin twice. Booking includes the use of a guest room and full use of their facilities. We love Seven Mile Beach. The sand is soft as powder and the water is very clear, you can watch the fish swim around your feet.

Enjoy Grand Cayman with whatever you do.

Out of curiosity, you don't need a room, why do you want a hotel? All of the beach clubs have great facilities. Only Royal Palms has an entry fee, $2pp, mainly because they also have an adults-only pool. You can rent loungers, use the restrooms and showers, buy food/drink, rent watersports items, etc. at all of the main sections of Seven Mile Beach...

No reason, really. I heard some good things about the Westin and everyone said that all the beaches were public, so I thought maybe we could get a cabana there. Also, had only heard about royal Palms and thought maybe it would be uber crowded.

Edited by libertybelle41

• 1 month later...