No Travel Insurance, Cruise is in 3 weeks and just got bad news today.....

tandtmk04

To the OP.....so sorry for your situation for yourself and your family but you will not receive a refund or a credit. If the cruise line did that for everybody who came along with a family emergency or problem they wouldn't make any money.

Travel Insurance is one of those things that you hope you never have to use it but it is a good piece of mind to have it. At least you know it is there should a problem arise

OK... Just spoke to the 3rd Carnival Employee, this time "Dave" was in the Insurance Department (Called the number on the policy). What he said is "the Pre Existing Condition ONLY pertains to the people that are actually going on the cruise... He put it as if, I was the one that was told I have cancer, then purchased the Insurance the next day, that it would be looked at as "Pre Existing Condition".... but, "non crusiers, immediate family member and a few others does not have that provision and would be covered, even if it was due to a condition that they had before purchasing the insurance and that it would be covered if the traveler had to cancel".

Hopefully I will not have to use this Insurance but, if I do, I hope that ALL 3 Carnival Employees told me the correct information, they all told me the same thing... "That I would be covered, if I had to cancel due to my father's illness, even though it was Pre Existing... due to being a someone not actually booked on the cruise".

Fingers Crossed! I will not be stressing about this in the future because I will buy the insurance for now on! :)

*** As far as the Credit Card reply.... I wondered about that myself and will check on it. I paid it off with a Carnival Credit Card. **** Thanks!

I actually started a thread on a similar issueHERE a few days ago. I researched this extensively because I am in the same boat as you. DO NOT believe what a CSR tells you. You may NOT be covered. I called around and in the end talked to someone who rates and oversees all travel insurances. He told me ONLY travelguard will cover a disease/death of a relative who stays behind (in my case I discussed death in that thread as that is what I am most worried about, but the same counts for illness). As you said, pre-existing conditions only applies for those who travel...however, should you need to use an insurance for an issue that was pre-existing in people who leave behind, NONE of the insurances will put it in writing that they will cover you, and instead will tell you they will take it on a case by case basis, and pay out will depend on what the doctor writes up. If the doctor states (or documents support) that a worsening of health could have been foreseen, they will not cover you. NONE of the CSRs I talked to admitted to this, but claim processors and the insurance 'rater' all told me this.

Edited by Lisichka

I am so sorry to hear about you father. Will lift you all up in prayer for a complete recovery. Please keep us posted on how Carnival deals with this. I have no idea if they will be the least bit compassionate in this or not. We always take the insurance just to be on the safe side. Have a blessed day.

I actually started a thread on a similar issueHERE a few days ago. I researched this extensively because I am in the same boat as you. DO NOT believe what a CSR tells you. You may NOT be covered. I called around and in the end talked to someone who rates and oversees all travel insurances. He told me ONLY travelguard will cover a disease/death of a relative who stays behind (in my case I discussed death in that thread as that is what I am most worried about, but the same counts for illness). As you said, pre-existing conditions only applies for those who travel...however, should you need to use an insurance for an issue that was pre-existing in people who leave behind, NONE of the insurances will put it in writing that they will cover you, and instead will tell you they will take it on a case by case basis, and pay out will depend on what the doctor writes up. If the doctor states (or documents support) that a worsening of health could have been foreseen, they will not cover you. NONE of the CSRs I talked to admitted to this, but claim processors and the insurance 'rater' all told me this.

Although there's a diagnosis, Her Dad hasn't reached the "foresee" part yet, he's needing more tests, and then treatment is possible.

To the OP.....so sorry for your situation for yourself and your family but you will not receive a refund or a credit. If the cruise line did that for everybody who came along with a family emergency or problem they wouldn't make any money.

Travel Insurance is one of those things that you hope you never have to use it but it is a good piece of mind to have it. At least you know it is there should a problem arise

I was still in the time frame to be able to purchase the Insurance. Purchased it yesterday evening.

Although there's a diagnosis, Her Dad hasn't reached the "foresee" part yet, he's needing more tests, and then treatment is possible.

Exactly.

I work in the information side of cancer and once a patient is diagnosed, they have workups done and then come up with a treatment plan. Each case of cancer is different and some patients can put off treatment for vacations and such. For example, my father was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer a few months before my wedding and put off treatment until after the wedding. But he was lucky because it was early stage prostate cancer and slow growing. Sadly, not everyone who gets cancer is afforded that opportunity. :( But it is possible that OP's father won't start treatment by then.

:)

I understand what you're telling me. I'm keeping a open mind and praying that I don't have to use it. I lost my Mom 3 days after a Cruise I took, to a surgery gone wrong. I have alot of guilt for being on vacation the week before she passed away (they type of surgery, she wasn't supposed to die.... the doctor made a huge mistake)... just wanted to cover myself (hope I did anyway) should my Dad need surgery as well.

I did call Travel Guard yesterday, I have purchased from them in the past and was not able to get the Insurance because it had to be purchased before the trip was paid in full in full and now considered pre existing. I think the "cancel for any reason had to be purchased within 15 days of deposit". I hope that info is correct... been a tough couple of days.

Good Luck with what you're going through. I hope it works out well for you.

:)

I understand what you're telling me. I'm keeping a open mind and praying that I don't have to use it. I lost my Mom 3 days after a Cruise I took, to a surgery gone wrong. I have alot of guilt for being on vacation the week before she passed away (they type of surgery, she wasn't supposed to die.... the doctor made a huge mistake)... just wanted to cover myself (hope I did anyway) should my Dad need surgery as well.

I did call Travel Guard yesterday, I have purchased from them in the past and was not able to get the Insurance because it had to be purchased before the trip was paid in full in full and now considered pre existing. I think the "cancel for any reason had to be purchased within 15 days of deposit". I hope that info is correct... been a tough couple of days.

Good Luck with what you're going through. I hope it works out well for you.

Again, the pre-existing waiver has nothing to do with the family who is not traveling. Good luck, my prayers are with you and your Dad. I know how tough this is.

Exactly.

I work in the information side of cancer and once a patient is diagnosed, they have workups done and then come up with a treatment plan. Each case of cancer is different and some patients can put off treatment for vacations and such. For example, my father was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer a few months before my wedding and put off treatment until after the wedding. But he was lucky because it was early stage prostate cancer and slow growing. Sadly, not everyone who gets cancer is afforded that opportunity. :( But it is possible that OP's father won't start treatment by then.

That's pretty much what I have been told as well. They've been treating him for a Sinus Infection since Feb. Long Story short.. this all has come up fast... less then a week. But, he was diagnosed yesterday by a MD. (Still in shock)! Will see a cancer doctor tomorrow. At this point we don't know the stage, if it's spread... nothing. You're correct, he may not have treatment etc by the time we go. I was hoping to get info. should something come up and oh boy did I. some I'm still shocked, well in a way. haha

If you can get them to state that in an email, you would be much better off if you need to contest what they stated verbally.

WAY BETTER. If nothing else it will help to have the names of the people you spoke with and the date and time of the call.

Good luck.

OK... Just spoke to the 3rd Carnival Employee, this time "Dave" was in the Insurance Department (Called the number on the policy). What he said is "the Pre Existing Condition ONLY pertains to the people that are actually going on the cruise... He put it as if, I was the one that was told I have cancer, then purchased the Insurance the next day, that it would be looked at as "Pre Existing Condition".... but, "non crusiers, immediate family member and a few others does not have that provision and would be covered, even if it was due to a condition that they had before purchasing the insurance and that it would be covered if the traveler had to cancel".

Hopefully I will not have to use this Insurance but, if I do, I hope that ALL 3 Carnival Employees told me the correct information, they all told me the same thing... "That I would be covered, if I had to cancel due to my father's illness, even though it was Pre Existing... due to being a someone not actually booked on the cruise".

Fingers Crossed! I will not be stressing about this in the future because I will buy the insurance for now on! :)

*** As far as the Credit Card reply.... I wondered about that myself and will check on it. I paid it off with a Carnival Credit Card. **** Thanks!

I think you should call the insurance company that you now have the plan with. Don't listen to Carnival, they are not the insurance company. Speak directly to any agent (there should be a telephone number on your policy). Whatever information they tell you, ask them for it in writing.

That's pretty much what I have been told as well. They've been treating him for a Sinus Infection since Feb. Long Story short.. this all has come up fast... less then a week. But, he was diagnosed yesterday by a MD. (Still in shock)! Will see a cancer doctor tomorrow. At this point we don't know the stage, if it's spread... nothing. You're correct, he may not have treatment etc by the time we go. I was hoping to get info. should something come up and oh boy did I. some I'm still shocked, well in a way. haha

I will keep my fingers crossed for a good outcome.

Sorry for your situation.

I never book travel insurance. Insurance is simple. If you go on 10 cruises, w/o insurance, than you can go on your 11th cruise with the money you save for free. So every 10 cruises, you get a free cruise. If you are unfortunate enough to need the insurance, than you really still don't lose, since you will still get your free cruise to make up for it.

Don't fret about the money or insurance. Most cases it's not worth it, and insurance is big business, taking advantage of people's fears

We usually do not buy insurance to cover the cost of the cruise because our position is if we can afford the cost of the cruise, we can afford to lose the money. We do however always purchase evacuation and secondary medical insurance because if we neede that it would be a financial blow. We get it reasonably through Squaremouth. After we are on Medicare, we will purchase primary medical as Medicare will not cover you if you are out of the country.

I don't think this unicorn exists here either.

We purchase Roam Right Insurance from Squaremouth. If you purchase within 2 weeks of when you book the cruise it does cover pre-existing conditions. I emailed to double check this and also wanted it verified in an email. I had a small stroke a few years ago and was lucky enough to completely recover, but it is still considered a pre-existing condition.

I have a friend who refuses to buy travel insurance unless it is a more expensive cruise. I keep trying to tell her that it's not just the cost of the cruise that it covers. The big thing for me is if we are evacuated from the ship (could be $50k) or in a hospital in a foreign country. Those would be big expenses!

On 7 cruises I purchased insurance. I booked cruise #8 and planned to buy insurance. Life stuff happened and I forgot. Fast Forward 1 year 2 months later and 2 weeks before our cruise my 32 yr old daughter who was fighting breast cancer received devastating news that her treatment was not working. She kept telling us to go she would be fine but when I didn't go I could tell she was happy.

I didn't even beat myself up for not buying insurance.. it is what it is and somethings in life are not worth worrying about. Especially when your world is falling apart.

I called and canceled my pre-paid tips and excursions were refunded. I wasn't even counting on that. OP I am so sorry about your dad and I hope things work out.

My daughter was with us for 4 more months and I will be forever happy with the decision I made.

We purchase Roam Right Insurance from Squaremouth. If you purchase within 2 weeks of when you book the cruise it does cover pre-existing conditions. I emailed to double check this and also wanted it verified in an email. I had a small stroke a few years ago and was lucky enough to completely recover, but it is still considered a pre-existing condition.

Again, non traveling people are not covered under pre-existing waivers. Only the people traveling.