No Travel Insurance, Cruise is in 3 weeks and just got bad news today.....

tandtmk04

FALSE!!!!!!!!!!! Unless you have travelguard as he states

TRUE!!

FALSE!! Only travelguard will cover you if a non traveling relative dies due to a condition that made it forseeable he might die or get worse

If you read all my posts you will see that I specifically mentioned that it was only travel guard that I was referring to

Again we must read the posts. All of them.

I guess since I know how good travel guard is that I assumed that people do their research on insuremytrip.com and can read.

Thus the saavy traveler especially one with a sick non traveling relative would know this.

My bad but as I stated I was always speaking about travel guard.

Edited by Crusin6

OP-so sorry to hear about your Dad. I hope all works out well and he lives a long and happy life. My Mom also had a "sinus infection" that wouldn't go away for months. I begged her everyday to go see the doctor but she was from a generation who didn't really see the need to see doctors on a regular basis. Anyway, she finally went and was checked into the hospital that day with stage 4 uterine cancer. At least I was there by her side for the remaining three weeks of her life. I wish you luck and am sending you and your Dad healthy vibes!

Huh? Carnival has to pick up their tab because this woman didn't purchase insurance, and you say absolutely? Statements like this can destroy the insurance industry, as why would anyone buy it if a cruise line would "just give you a credit"? I guess you don't realize who does the payouts.

OP ... Should something happen, it wouldn't hurt to make the call, expecting nothing but hoping for the best. They may or may not offer you another cruise with a couple of dates they throw at you. Or not. And if not, consider it a lessoned learned, for you, and anyone that reads this thread.

"I want insurance. I just don't want to pay for it."

Every cruise we have been on, something has happened to someone. In one instance we asked one of the relatives if the patient had trip insurance and the answer was no. They were helicoptered off and in foreign waters, so medicare won't pay any of it. Even though nothing has happened in the past, it only takes one thing to break you. Too late to cry over spilled milk.

To the OP, I hope your father gets well.

QUOTE:

Only travel guard will cover you if a non traveling relative dies due to a condition that made it forseeable he might die or get worse.

In my opinion this is the big loophole. My dad has had the same conditions for over 13 years and he's also 85, He's perfectly fine with the help of Med's. The insurance company could always say it was forseeble.

I had cancer 40 years ago, so they could say it was for seeable if I was diagnosed with cancer again 40 years later.

I'm sure most everybody would have something the insurance company could call forseeable.

That just not seem right. I always have bought insurance but not travel guard. i guess that will change in the future.

QUOTE:

Only travel guard will cover you if a non traveling relative dies due to a condition that made it forseeable he might die or get worse.

In my opinion this is the big loophole. My dad has had the same conditions for over 13 years and he's also 85, He's perfectly fine with the help of Med's. The insurance company could always say it was forseeble.

I had cancer 40 years ago, so they could say it was for seeable if I was diagnosed with cancer again 40 years later.

I'm sure most everybody would have something the insurance company could call forseeable.

That just not seem right. I always have bought insurance but not travel guard. i guess that will change in the future.

You are correct. So that is why as a saavy traveler I have always bought insurance. Always bought it with the 14 days of initial deposit and I always buy from travel guard.

Edited by Crusin6

You are correct. So that is why as a saavy traveler I have always bought insurance. Always bought it with the 14 days of initial deposit and I always buy from travel guard.

I was wondering why I had never purchased travel insurance with travel guard so I did a mock booking with TG and I must say there coverage numbers suck

I now see why I would have never chose them with such low medical limits. There top plan is $50,000. A good heart attach would blow that number up real quick

I was wondering why I had never purchased travel insurance with travel guard so I did a mock booking with TG and I must say there coverage numbers suck

I now see why I would have never chose them with such low medical limits. There top plan is $50,000. A good heart attach would blow that number up real quick

So, which travel insurance company do you use? We have always bought Travel Guard - usually the Gold Plan.

Lots of third party insurers will cover pre-existing illnesses if you buy the policy within a certain time period after making the first deposit on the trip. We use either Allianz or Travel Safe. Allianz requires you to buy the policy within 14 days of the first deposit and I think Travel Safe is more lenient -maybe within 21 days.

Allianz paid our claim in full when I had to cancel because my mother had another hospitalization due to her congestive heart failure. She was diagnosed about 2 years before that particular episode.

We used to get the insurance because we had elderly parents. They all died between 2010 and 2012. Now we get the insurance because we are the elderly people and are more likely to have a medical problem crop up.

Lots of third party insurers will cover pre-existing illnesses if you buy the policy within a certain time period after making the first deposit on the trip. We use either Allianz or Travel Safe. Allianz requires you to buy the policy within 14 days of the first deposit and I think Travel Safe is more lenient -maybe within 21 days.

Allianz paid our claim in full when I had to cancel because my mother had another hospitalization due to her congestive heart failure. She was diagnosed about 2 years before that particular episode.

We used to get the insurance because we had elderly parents. They all died between 2010 and 2012. Now we get the insurance because we are the elderly people and are more likely to have a medical problem crop up.

See: That's what is so confusing.

What other posters have posted is the pre existing waiver is only for the actual travelers.

They are saying it doe's not cover pre existing condition of family members not traveling.

You just debunked that by saying your insurance company paid in full.

I have always got insurance to help with expenses in case one of our elderly parents had issues and we had to cancel or help if we had to fly home.

I am so confused.

Edited by Bases5

What other posters have posted is the pre existing waiver is only for the actual travelers.

They are saying it doe's not cover pre existing condition of family members not traveling.

I have always got insurance to help with expenses in case one of our elderly parents had issues and we had to cancel or help if we had to fly home.

I am so confused.

Don't be confused. Pre existing is about the traveler

If a relative dies and you can't travel because if that and you have Insurance you are covered. That deceased or very ill non traveling family member may have had the illness for decades it doesn't matter because pre existing only relates to the traveler not their non traveling family members

It's not difficult.

I am so confused.

There really is no such thing as pre existing illness for non traveling family members. Just how could one know about someone else's illness? They may choose not to tell you. They may live 2000 mrs away. Etc. think it thru!!

Btw. In an effort to be nice I am going with my travel guard Info that they pay but really now I am not gullible enough to really believe that other companies won't also pay I just don't want to argue that point so I am agreeing with the poster who said it because it actually is true

It is just that travel guard is a safe reputable company that is well known

I use them specifically because I actually read their policy so I know what it covers

Did you have a pre existing illness that caused you to cancel ? No?

Ok so you cancelled because your parent was hospitalized!! That us covered

It is not pre existing because pre existing is only about you!! Not non traveling parents who may be ill for decades.

Btw insurance will even cover you if your travel partner takes ill or whatever and you choose not to go alone

Read the policies. They cover almost everything if you buy the right policy.

However just to keep it simple for the confused among us why not just buy the policy within the 14 day limit?

That should solve all thus silly confusion

So, which travel insurance company do you use? We have always bought Travel Guard - usually the Gold Plan.

Just an FYI. Silver plan is excellent as well

I cover 6 pax usually and for our European trips I usually buy a $20000 silver travel guard cancellation policy which covers airfare cruise and any non refundable prepaid costs like first nights hotel and timed admission tix

For the newbies I am of course also covered for all the other things too but I only need to buy a policy for my no refundable costs thus the $20000

Baggage. Evac. Life. Delay. Etc are if course covered that is standard

The only real concern is cancellation losses should one need to cancel last minute

Baggage delay and evac means absolutely nothing if you cancelled right? Lol

Don't be confused. Pre existing is about the traveler

If a relative dies and you can't travel because if that and you have Insurance you are covered. That deceased or very ill non traveling family member may have had the illness for decades it doesn't matter because pre existing only relates to the traveler not their non traveling family members

It's not difficult.

You don't get it.

I am so sorry to hear about your father's diagnosis, I hope that all goes well and that he will be ok AND you get to go on your vacation.

I don't know what Carnival will do, I have never had this situation come up with Carnival, but I did have it happen when we were booked on RCI a long time ago.

We had booked and paid for a 7 night southern Caribbean cruise (this was in 1996). About a week before we were scheduled to leave my father wound up in the hospital with what we thought was congestive heart failure. When I went to see him in the hospital he seemed alright and we had planned to go, however, within a couple of days he was on a respirator (turned out to be much worse than CHF). So of course we didn't go on vacation, and of course, we hadn't purchased insurance, we were young and never thought it was necessary. We contacted the cruise line and the travel agent who booked our trip (we were supposed to be travelling with my brother in law and sister in law and they still went on the cruise), they advised us to write a letter and get a letter from my father's doctor, the travel agent also wrote a letter. The cruise line gave us a full credit for a future cruise and we were very grateful. As I said I don't know what Carnival will do for you but hopefully they will be understanding and they take these things on a case by case basis as RCI did in our case. By the way, because of the way RCI handled this, I am forever a Royal customer, I enjoy other cruise lines too, but am a RCI fan first and foremost.

I hope it all works out for you and I pray for you and your family.

You don't get it.

Sorry to burst your bubble but actually I fully understand what the term pre existing illness means with reference to travel Insurance

What posters here do not understand is that the term only applies to the traveler

Should the traveler them self have a pre existing condition

But so be it. Doesn't mean anything to me if others don't understand. As long as I do is all that matters

Edited by Crusin6