No Travel Insurance, Cruise is in 3 weeks and just got bad news today.....

tandtmk04

Again, non traveling people are not covered under pre-existing waivers. Only the people traveling.

You are sadly mistaken.

There are experts replying to your original post that has been moved to the travel insurance forum.

Again, non traveling people are not covered under pre-existing waivers. Only the people traveling.

I just went over to that thread, and some insurance experts clearly disagree with you.

I just went over to that thread, and some insurance experts clearly disagree with you.

I think what might be happening here is a mis-understanding of how some plans treat non-traveling family members when it comes to pre-existing conditions. Compare the following (from TravelSafe) to the definition of "Pre-existing Medical Condition" from TravelInsured quoted in a previous posy:

"“Pre-Existing Condition” means any injury, sickness or condition (including any condition from which death ensues) of You, Your Traveling Companion, or Your or Your Traveling Companion’s Family Member traveling with You which within the 60 day period prior to the effective date of Your Trip Cancellation coverage under the Policy: (a) manifested itself, became acute or exhibited symptoms which would have caused one to seek diagnosis, care or treatment; (b) required taking prescribed drugs or medicine, unless the condition for which the prescribed drug or medicine is taken remains controlled without any change in the required prescription; or © required medical treatment or treatment was recommended by a Legally Qualified Physician."

Note that with this insurer a NON-traveling family member is not subject to the pre-existing condition exclusion.

So, if I were to call the insurer and ask if the pre-existing condition waiver applies to a NON-traveling member the correct answer would be "no". Why? because you can't waive something that does not exist -- these NON-traveling family members are not subject to the exclusion so the waiver is meaningless with respect to them.

Don't cancel... just re-schedule it for another time and it should be $50 to move the dates

I wouldn't reschedule, especially yet. The OP has not gotten enough info on her father. And, she wouldn't know what date to schedule with no info.

You are sadly mistaken.

There are experts replying to your original post that has been moved to the travel insurance forum.

Exactly. NON TRAVELING FAMILY MEMBERS ARE NOT COVERED UNDER THE PRE-EXISTING WAIVERS. Seriously, I spent a lot of time on this to get it in writing from various insurance agencies. Even on my thread people agree on that. Please, please, please DO NOT spread misinformation. That really serves no-one.

GET IT IN WRITING if you are worried about a non-traveling family member. NONE of the insurances would do it, except for travelguard. They are the ONLY ones who will put it in writing that an already sick non-traveling family member is covered for trip interruption or trip cancellation.

In other words: if your family member is sick before you take out insurance, and the dr has told you they may get worse, and you then take out insurance to cover trip cancellation or interruption, it will not be covered once you file the claim. If an agent denies this, have them put it in writing!

Edited by Lisichka

My 15 year old went into cardiac arrest 2 weeks after our cruise in April,no warning!! Never thought a that could EVER happen in a million years!Thank God it didn't happen on the cruise as he wouldn't be alive today!! That being said I will always buy insurance because "people plan and God laughs"!!Best wishes for your dad!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by twingles3
mistake

My 15 year old went into cardiac arrest 2 weeks after our cruise in April,no warning!! Never thought a that could EVER happen in a million years!Thank God it didn't happen on the cruise as he wouldn't be alive today!! That being said I will always buy insurance because "people plan and God laughs"!!Best wishes for your dad!

Wow....THAT is scary!

Sent from my phone - using the Cruise Critic forums app

That must have been a terrible scare for you. I hope everything is going well for your son.

Reading all these stories solidifies my decision to always buy insurance.

I was just a friends home last weekend and there were saying they cancel all there health insurance and were just going to pay the penalty because they say they can't afford the insurance. I tried to reason with them about the "what if" and it went in one ear and out the other. Funny how some will spend money on 3 different online movie rental things, lawn service, throw a party every weekend at their lake house but you can't afford to protect your family. :roll eyes:

To the OP.... Im really glad you were able to get insurance and hope your dad get well soon.

The OP didn't say whether her father was even booked on the cruise. It doesn't read like he is, just that she doesn't want to be away if he needs surgery.

Since not traveling herself is a personal choice, not a medical emergency on her own part, I can't see any reason to expect Carnival to offer a refund or reschedule.

It's a personal choice to go or not to go. What if everyone who broke up with their boyfriend, had a work situation, found a kitten, or something much more trivial than cancer asked for the same consideration? Where to draw the line?

Bottom line, it's the reason that travel insurance is offered at all. It's expensive because so many people take advantage of it (file claims).

I hope OP's father gets the best medical care and recovers completely, and that he has great medical insurance.

I would say they would absolutely give you credit for a future cruise.

Really?

So those of us that buy insurance should stop doing that if you think they would absolutely give a credit then?

Of course if you know this for a fact I stand corrected

The OP didn't say whether her father was even booked on the cruise. It doesn't read like he is, just that she doesn't want to be away if he needs surgery.

The OP did say her father is not traveling.

Huh, interesting...and good to know!

Who knew this was an option! I always thought it would go back to the "diagnosis date" as the determination date. If it was before the insurance was purchased that it would not be covered - but covered if it occurred after the insurance was purchased. Since this is an option I'm really surprised we haven't heard more about it being used!

OP - very glad it worked out for you! Best of luck to your Dad.

Stop confusing diagnosis of a non traveling relative with pre existing condition of the traveling party

She is insuring herself not her ill father

Insurance can be purchased from third party insurers up to 48 hours before cruise

As long as it is cancel for any reason she can cancel if her non traveling third cousin dies from a pre existing illness or dies from a fall or decides to throw a party and the traveler wants to go to it over the cruise etc.

Btw the closer to travel you buy the insurance the more expensive it is

Edited by Crusin6

Just an FYI for anyone, that in the future may be in the same nightmare that I'm in right now. I called Carnival back and because I am not less than 15 days away from the sailing date. I was able to purchase Travel Insurance and if I have to cancel, I have until the day before sailing date to cancel and will get 100 percent of my money back. I explained everything to them and would still be covered. The insurance was $219.00 total for hubby and I. Because we booked under the "kids sail free", there was not a charge for them! Yay! I highly recommend the Travel Insurance because your life can change in a matter of days.... Mine did and it's not worth the stress I'm having today! Thank You to everyone who welcomed prayers, so appreciate it! Thanks again!

I'm not trying to be a negative Nelly here,

But if you don't purchase travel insurance within a certain time frame (2-3 weeks) from original trip deposit pre existing condition's are not covered. Your father is concerted pre existing since it was found out before travel insurance purchase.

The one thing you might have going for you is if there is a cancel for any reason provision in your travel insurance policy. In most cases these are not full refunds so check your policy.

If it's a cruise line insurance, some of there cancel for any reason only pays a future cruise credit and not %100

just some food for thought.

I hope things with your father turn out well. Our prayers are with you.

I'm not trying to be a negative Nelly here,

But if you don't purchase travel insurance within a certain time frame (2-3 weeks) from original trip deposit pre existing condition's are not covered. Your father is concerted pre existing since it was found out before travel insurance purchase.

The one thing you might have going for you is if there is a cancel for any reason provision in your travel insurance policy. In most cases these are not full refunds so check your policy.

If it's a cruise line insurance, some of there cancel for any reason only pays a future cruise credit and not %100

just some food for thought.

I hope things with your father turn out well. Our prayers are with you.

The father is not cruising. Pre existing only relates to the cruiser. The daughter is the cruiser. She is not ill. She does not have the pre existing illness. A non traveling relative has the illness. Pre existing conditions have absolutely nothing to do with the daughter as she is the traveler and is not ill Any insurance she purchases covers herself. The fact her father is ill does not constitute a pre existing condition for. All it means is that she may cancel because an immediate family member got sick. Which is what insurance covers. Pre existing relates to travelers condition only. It is a non issue for the daughter. She is healthy but may need to cancel due to her fathers illness. She can still buy insurance which is what I read she did a few posts back!! Should I repeat it again?

Why is this not clear? Also it is amazing the amount if misinformation posted here as well as the lack of basic travel knowledge many have.

Edited by Crusin6

The father is not cruising. Pre existing only relates to the cruiser. The daughter is the cruiser. She is not ill. She does not have the pre existing illness. A non traveling relative has the illness. Pre existing conditions have absolutely nothing to do with the daughter as she is the traveler and is not ill Any insurance she purchases covers herself. The fact her father is ill does not constitute a pre existing condition for. All it means is that she may cancel because an immediate family member got sick. Which is what insurance covers. Pre existing relates to travelers condition only. It is a non issue for the daughter. She is healthy but may need to cancel due to her fathers illness. She can still buy insurance which is what I read she did a few posts back!! Should I repeat it again?

Why is this not clear? Also it is amazing the amount if misinformation posted here as well as the lack of basic travel knowledge many have.

You are right and I was mistaken. I should have not posted

I have been reading since my post. It is now my understanding that any pre existing condition to any NON travailing member will not be covered.

I hope I'm wrong about this. The pre existing weaver was the only reason I purchased cruise insurance whiles making deposit.

My dad live's with me and has diabetes, a heart condition and other medical conditions he has been treated for the past 15 years.

I bought the insurance to help cover our expenses if something was to happen to him while we were gone.

After reading this morning I understand that's not the case. It would be our cost.

It was one of the main reason we bought travel insurance.

here is another post I was reading. this is very disappointing.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2051383

You are right and I was mistaken. I should have not posted

I have been reading since my post. It is now my understanding that any pre existing condition to any NON travailing member will not be covered.

I hope I'm wrong about this. The pre existing weaver was the only reason I purchased cruise insurance whiles making deposit.

My dad live's with me and has diabetes, a heart condition and other medical conditions he has been treated for the past 15 years.

I bought the insurance to help cover our expenses if something was to happen to him while we were gone.

After reading this morning I understand that's not the case. It would be our cost.

It was one of the main reason we bought travel insurance.

here is another post I was reading. this is very disappointing.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2051383

I don't follow your thinking here you are saying will NOT be covered. Your st mean WILL be covered. A typo maybe?

You are the traveler correct?

You can buy insurance at deposit or shortly thereafter that will cover YOU and your traveling party should you or the party have a pre existing illness that you are concerned about

However if you buy insurance say a month before departure you are still covering YOU and travel party for any number if reasons. Ok? You are just not covering you and the travel party for pre existing that you or the travel party may have that may cause cancellation.

Your dads illness is not part if the equation as he is not traveling and has no travel insurance

Now if your immediate non traveling family member which on this case takes ill from a medical condition be it pre existing or not and you feel it is serious enough for you to cancel or should an immediate non traveling family member die say a few days before your cruise from whatever cause you can get a refund for cancellation because YOU insured YOURSELF not your dad

Your dads condition has nothing at all to do with the pre existing clause as he us not the insured you are so pre existing therefore means if you cancel because if a prexisting issue YOU have

Insurance covers you if a non traveling family member takes seriously ill and you can't leave them regardless of how they died or what illness they have or when they diagnosed the illness

Pre existing clause is only about the traveler and it always has been

Also I did read the link to posted and yes travel guard is the one to buy hands down!!!

I always buy travel guard so that is why I am posting what I am which is correct info btw. As per your link as per the travel guard website as per any policy I have ever purchased from them

Fwiw travelers should always buy third party insurance and not buy from the cruiseline oh and read the policy

I wouldn't dream if not buying it. why?

We travel with 4 kids have a large extended family with elderly parents and cannot afford to lose money should anything happen

Btw if your home car etc is damaged prior to a cruise insurance will cover cancellation

Travel guard even has a policy that if you get a flat tire while driving to the cruise or airport etc and miss the cruise you are covered

It just takes some googling to find all this out

Btw I am not yelling just emphasizing

Edited by Crusin6

Thanks it is getting a little clearer but still murky.

The link I posted had this statement in it. I'm feeling really stupid because it (the link) says I'm not covered if my dad dies but you say I am. Here is the quote I read.

So since I did not buy Travel guard I guess I'm not covered.

"What I found is interesting to say the least. While most insurance companies will cover if a relative dies while you are away, they will NOT cover it if there was a way to foresee a possibility of them dying. For example, a parent who has been ill or diagnosed with some disease/heart condition/diabetes, etc...if they then die while you are away, you are NOT covered."

Edited by Bases5

Here is my take on cruise travel insurance. I retired in July of 2007, healthy as an mule. At that time, I was not taking any medication. To celebrate, my retirement, my wife purchased a cruise on RCCL Mariner of the Seas, cruising at that time out of Port Canaveral, FL. Thank goodness she purchased the travel insurance.

Night 5 of the 7 day cruise, my dinner tasted 'funny.' We ate, and went to the late main show. Returning to our room, I still didn't feel normal. After a restless night, the next morning I decided to visit the ship's medical center. I was informed that to check my blood pressure would incur a cost of $25.00. Sure, go ahead, I replied. Of course the blood pressure was high, so the nurse asked me if I would like to see a Doctor, implying that the cost will go up significantly. Boy, was she right! The doctor found that I was in Atrial Fibrillation, so to make a long story short, I spent 20 hours in the ship's medical facility, at a cost of $18,000 US dollars. When we arrived at Port Canaveral, I was taken by ambulance to a hospital in Cocoa Beach, where I spent the next week. I don't remember what the Hospital bill was, but I'm sure it was not cheap.

Every medical bill was paid, including the motel and food for my wife, by the travel insurance.

I have been on 10 cruises since then, and I never leave home on a cruise without purchasing the insurance.

Thanks it is getting a little clearer but still murky.

The link I posted had this statement in it. I'm feeling really stupid because it (the link) says I'm not covered if my dad dies but you say I am. Here is the quote I read.

So since I did not buy Travel guard I guess I'm not covered.

"What I found is interesting to say the least. While most insurance companies will cover if a relative dies while you are away, they will NOT cover it if there was a way to foresee a possibility of them dying. For example, a parent who has been ill or diagnosed with some disease/heart condition/diabetes, etc...if they then die while you are away, you are NOT covered."

That is correct. You will not be covered for trip cancellation or trip interruption to return home to a sick/death of a relative if they had been sick with an expectation of the condition worsening before you leave. If a CSR tells you they will, GET IT IN WRITING!!!! That is all I can offer you. None of the insurances would put it in writing, and instead said they would handle trip interruption and trip cancellation on a case by case manner, with a prior expectation that the disease in a non-traveling family member could worsen or result in death resulting in a non-payout. If they deny this, GET IT IN WRITING!

Edited by Lisichka

Sorry for your situation.

I never book travel insurance. Insurance is simple. If you go on 10 cruises, w/o insurance, than you can go on your 11th cruise with the money you save for free. So every 10 cruises, you get a free cruise. If you are unfortunate enough to need the insurance, than you really still don't lose, since you will still get your free cruise to make up for it.

Don't fret about the money or insurance. Most cases it's not worth it, and insurance is big business, taking advantage of people's fears

You will regret your decision should you ever need to be evacuated from a foreign land or cruise ship due to medical reasons. Its not just about losing money when canceling a cruise. The cost for medical evacuation would financially ruin many cruisers for the rest of their lives. Think $100,000 plus depending on the medical problem.

now if your immediate non traveling family member which on this case takes ill from a medical condition be it pre existing or not and you feel it is serious enough for you to cancel or should an immediate non traveling family member die say a few days before your cruise from whatever cause you can get a refund for cancellation because you insured yourself not your dad

FALSE!!!!!!!!!!! Unless you have travelguard as he states

your dads condition has nothing at all to do with the pre existing clause as he us not the insured you are so pre existing therefore means if you cancel because if a prexisting issue you have

TRUE!!

insurance covers you if a non traveling family member takes seriously ill and you can't leave them regardless of how they died or what illness they have or when they diagnosed the illness

FALSE!! Only travelguard will cover you if a non traveling relative dies due to a condition that made it forseeable he might die or get worse

Edited by Lisichka

I didn't read through all the responses.

I will tell you this. Last summer my dad and brother were both diagnosed with different types of stage 4 CA within 2 weeks of each other. My dad's is inoperable, my brother's was operate or die pretty much. At any rate, my brother's throat sx to remove the mass ended up being scheduled for the afternoon of my last day at sea. My brother insisted I go. He said, "go I will be here when you get back... come to the hospital from the dock. If I'm not "here" when you get back, there wasn't anything you could have done anyway." LOL. I cracked up.. he's a riot. I went on the cruise. He's doing great and still in remission. My dad is still hanging in there and still gets up at 6am and works the farm everyday. He's surprised us all by lasting this long. He says he's not going to just lay in the house and die. He's getting more tired these days, but he's a trooper.

Good luck with everything!

Hoping someone can give me some advice.... I booked a cruise awhile back that leaves in 3 weeks and did not purchase Travel Insurance (bought 3 times in the past, didn't use and thought I wouldn't need it this time either). Well, just found out today that my father has throat cancer. Hope to find out Thursday how far along it is. Right now, just trying to think ahead.

Do you know if something was to happen and he has surgery etc and we're not able to make the cruise.... will Carnival maybe give us a credit for the cost of the cruise, to use on a future cruise or without the insurance, will we just be out the money?

Any help or suggestions, will be very much appreciated!

Sincerely,

Jennifer

I am sorry about your situation, but yeah, we buy insurance for a reason. My thoughts on insurance is this. I insure what I can't afford to lose. My house, yeah I can't replace it, so I insure it, my car, when it gets old enough that I can afford to replace it, I drop to liability, my husband, he is unreplaceable but highly insured since I can't afford to support myself. A cruise, if you can afford to lose the money don't insure it. For some people the price of a cruise is pocket change, not for me.

Please remember that those of us commenting about lack of insurance still feel bad for you and your dad and the whole situation. Blessings to you all!