United or Emirates?

TroubleT

Trouble T,

Thanks for posting the photos.....and real cutlery.....wonderful :D. I think UA have lounges in a couple of our departure airports, which is also a bonus :). Hopefully I've made the correct decision booking businessfirst; well I'll be more than happy with the ice cream and truffles :D.

Thanks again for all your comments, much appreciated ;).

Just did a round trip Houston-Frankfurt-Johannesburg on Lufthansa and they have real cutlery for the main meals in Coach - and wine included. You aren't going to get that in coach on United!! :D

Just did a round trip Houston-Frankfurt-Johannesburg on Lufthansa and they have real cutlery for the main meals in Coach - and wine included. You aren't going to get that in coach on United!! :D

Confirm! :D Our flight back from Europe was with Lufthansa (Frankfurt - Chicago) and they do have real cutlery! They present the wine in Economy as the best sommelier does at the restaurant (as if we have any other choice in EC! :D) . Anyway, the service on Austrian Airline and Lufthansa is like "Day and Night".

Have you flown businessfirst on UA transatlantic? I asked a poster on another thread, but didn't get a reply. Would welcome your comments/views if you've experienced this class of flying on the 757-200 and 737-700 & 800. Many thanks :).

UAL in business class (or Businessfirst as UA markets it on two class internationally configured flights) the service is "fine" but nothing special, the main reason to book it is for the seat comfort for sleeping/lounging. The food is just okay, but certainly nothing I would get all excited about. The international flights are usually staffed with the most senior FA's and this is not necessarily a good thing. They are many times very old and loathe serving. Many of them act like they should be the ones sitting in the big chairs and we should be serving them. These are the flight attendants who make the announcements and very forcefully say "we are here PRIMARILY for your service" when making the inboard announcements, which equates to unless you are on fire please don't ring the call button for anything and you better make any drink orders during the original drink service.

If you want to get an idea of the two cabins then check out this video. I found the vlogger's voice announcing but it does give a good overview of the cabin.

I have flown a multitude of foreign and US carriers in premium cabins and UAL has some of the worst service.

Edited by nolatravelgirl

UAL in business class (or Businessfirst as UA markets it on two class internationally configured flights) the service is "fine" but nothing special, the main reason to book it is for the seat comfort for sleeping/lounging. The food is just okay, but certainly nothing I would get all excited about. The international flights are usually staffed with the most senior FA's and this is not necessarily a good thing. They are many times very old and loathe serving. Many of them act like they should be the ones sitting in the big chairs and we should be serving them. These are the flight attendants who make the announcements and very forcefully say "we are here PRIMARILY for your service" when making the inboard announcements, which equates to unless you are on fire please don't ring the call button for anything and you better make any drink orders during the original drink service.

If you want to get an idea of the two cabins then check out this video. I found the vlogger's voice announcing but it does give a good overview of the cabin.

I have flown a multitude of foreign and US carriers in premium cabins and UAL has some of the worst service.

Thanks for the link :). TBH, US airways FAs' attitude left a lot to be desired (quite rude on tannoy), however being well over 6ft, I'm sure my DH will be more concerned with the extra legroom than the lack of a smiling face :D.

I'll take UA E+ seats and plastic silverware any day over Lufthansa's very cramped economy seats.

I can go up $139 for 4 inches more room same food and same service on UAL but if I choose the same flight operated by ANA then Economy plus is a real difference in product but the price runs almost double or sometimes more. If I can get to my cruise for $1,500 instead of $2,500 guess I have to put up with plastic and my own snacks and water bottle but then I can put that money to a private guide in Asia.

Choices nice to have them because it is just not possible to spend more on cruise (often have outside no balcony) and better air (first or business) and not either go less often (3x year) or go cheaper cruises (not exotic or longer). Everybody has a budget. For my money often, long and never been there before. But then as a reality check my kids comment on how much better we travel now than when we took them -- true 2 costs less than 4.

• 3 weeks later...

You should consider something in between like Lufthansa Premium Economy or Virgin Atlantic premium economy. The seats are about like US airline's domestic first. Abu Dhabi is close to Dubai and only about an hour away depending on traffic. These tickets should be around $2000 each and avoid the hell that is long haul economy on any airline.

Edited by number5858

You should consider something in between like Lufthansa Premium Economy or Virgin Atlantic premium economy. The seats are about like US airline's domestic first. Abu Dhabi is close to Dubai and only about an hour away depending on traffic. These tickets should be around $2000 each and avoid the hell that is long haul economy on any airline.

Virgin Atlantic doesn't have flights on the dates we need. We decided to go with United Premium Economy.

I have just returned from Japan with Emirates, and flew their A380 Business class. I loved it every second. It wasn't that expensive comparing their full economy. They don't have premium economy and their coach cabin is standard. Larger pitch, good food, lots of smiles but apalling configuration even in the side rows.

In case you decide flying business (check everyday. They have some good business fares from time to time) here is my video of how it is.