HAL Alhambra tour-Nasrid?

Nanner

I am trying to decide whether to do a private or HAL tour to the Alhambra from Almeria. The HAL website description does not specifically say that their tour includes the Nasrid Palaces. I read of a person who contracted with a private tour that excluded Nasrid, and I would be sorely disappointed to miss that portion if I trek all the way to Grenada.

Spare me the "don't do private" lectures, as I feel that is a personal decision up to each traveler, and I know the risks. I prefer private excursions, but would consider the HAL version if I can see the palaces as well as just a general tour of the Alhambra.

Could someone who has done the HAL version from Almeria please advise?

Edited by Nanner

I did a tour last fall thru Spain Day Tours and saw the Palace and the summer palace. Saw plenty of my shipmates all thru the area. I think it's pretty sure most tours take thru the palaces.

We did this HAL tour last fall. I don't know where the Nasrid Palaces but I don't remember a separate stop at any palaces.

The Nasrid Palace is within the Alhambra complex, but you have a specific entrance time on your ticket to enter the palace, and you can only enter at that specific time. Usually people are queueing at least 15 minutes in advance of their designated entrance time.

VMax gets the point I want answered. When the ship tours do the Alhambra, do you get tickets that allow you INSIDE the palace at a certain time? There is a ticket for the grounds, but another one with a time stamp to go inside the palace. Some tours do not do that, and I would really like to see the interior as well as the exterior.

We went inside on our HAL tour last year. Our larger group was divided up into smaller groups - 2 busses, i think, and we were divided up into groups of fewer than 40 or something like that, and we had to go in at a certain time. In the meantime, we toured the Generalife gardens. I will go back over my photos and try to remember what was "inside", I really don't remember things like furniture, etc. There certainly were interior rooms, very ornate, and, I believe they were an inspiration to Gaudi.

After checking back, our tour went from Malaga, not Almeria, sorry, Nanner, I really wouldn't be able to say, as the timing might be different.

Here's a map:

P1030571_zps63644e99.jpg

Edited by Vict0riann

Thanks for the photo and info, Ann. I see that it's about 30-45 minutes quicker from Malaga to Granada, so I really am not sure if that would eliminate the palace interior or not on a HAL tour.

I'm going to try the Ports of Call board, but I still hope another HAL cruiser could give me the scoop on Almeria to the Alhambra.

We did the HAL tour out of Almeria and there were two buses. one bus toured the Palaces at a specific time and then were taken on a tour the gardens of the Generalife. The tour started at Charles V Palace before entering the Nasrid Palaces. Then they went to lunch. While they were touring, we were eating lunch. At 1:00 PM exactly on the dot, they let us enter. We stood at the entrance waiting and they wouldn't let us in until 1 PM. The only part we didn't have time to see was the Alcazaba---the fortress.

There is an excellent website that has all the details of an Alhambra visit. It even has a detailed guide to all the rooms that might be worth looking at before you visit. I thought our group was small enough while going through the Palaces as we never had trouble taking photos due to people in the way. However you go to the Alhambra, you will have an incredible visit.