HAL vs. Carnival

Woody9

That is exactly the point I was trying to make---that a trip to Alaska does not have the typical party atmosphere of a Caribbean cruise. I was just hoping that Carnival would have more choices than the other lines would offer on an Alaskan cruise

Sorry, no, won't be the case. There were very few activities, as I already mentioned. Trivia was there every day and some kind of spa lecture.

You go to AK for the itinerary, the ports you visit, the arrival/departure times in each port, and especially the glaciers. You get zero glaciers on your trip. Just my opinion but both of those itineraries are awful. If it were me, I would swallow the airline change fee and find a better itinerary.

DON

You go to AK for the itinerary, the ports you visit, the arrival/departure times in each port, and especially the glaciers. You get zero glaciers on your trip. Just my opinion but both of those itineraries are awful. If it were me, I would swallow the airline change fee and find a better itinerary.

DON

Tracy Arm Fjord features Sawyer Glacier and they could get an even more up close and personal view if they do the small boat excursion there which I know for certain HAL offers. And they can view Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau. So it really isn't accurate to say they would see zero glaciers.

I decided to go with Carnival because of the Tracy Arm private boat tour you can do with Carnival. Every review I have read says that was the highlight of their cruise. That is important to me (I see HAL offers it too, didn't know that but would not have changed my mind). Plus the $150 OBC is nice (eventhough I Just booked the cruise, I ended up still getting it). lolol

I also did not want to miss SKagway.

ALL the cruiselines offer the Allen Marine add on tour in Tracy Arm. It used to be just NCL, but over several years, they have all picked it up.

Thanks for your lengthy and thoughtful comparisons!

Good point about the port times! The longer Carnival port times in Skagway and Victoria kind of make up for skipping Ketchikan.

Can anyone comment on "Puget Sound scenic cruising" vs. cruising the inside passage (albeit mostly in the dark)?

Budget Queen, what gave you the impression that the Miracle's passengers are uninformed?

I looked into Vancouver departures, but I have not found one that works with the flights I booked in and out of Seattle.

How long is the train ride from Seattle to Vancouver anyway?

The longer Carnival port times in Skagway and Victoria kind of make up for skipping Ketchikan.

Depends on why you're going on the cruise. Are you going to see Alaska? If so, then no amount of time in Victoria can compensate for skipping Ketchikan, because Ketchikan is in Alaska, while Victoria is in Canada.