Port or Starboard on Allure?

Cruisin'Kim

We just booked our next cruise on the Allure. As we haven't sailed on her before, it took awhile to decide on cabins. We ended up in #6186 & 1684 on the port side of the ship - we usually pick the port side for the side when coming to port, but I've read several posts saying starboard is the port side of the ship most of the time when they're arriving. (No pun intended) :-) We're doing the eastern caribbean. Anyone know if we picked the correct side for what we want??

Thanks!

We just booked our next cruise on the Allure. As we haven't sailed on her before' date=' it took awhile to decide on cabins. We ended up in #6186 & 1684 on the port side of the ship - we usually pick the port side for the side when coming to port, but I've read several posts saying starboard is the port side of the ship most of the time when they're arriving. (No pun intended) :-) We're doing the eastern caribbean. Anyone know if we picked the correct side for what we want??

Thanks![/quote']

There usually no set rule. The chief engineer asks the captain for a certain if maintenance needs to be done or lifeboats checked/serviced.

Port simply means "left"...it doesn't mean that side will face the dock! Generally, the Captain will dock to each side, when possible, so everyone gets a chance at a land view. No worries, there are good views on ALL sides of the ship!

Edited by cb at sea

We were on the port side on Allure in April. We backed in to each Eastern Caribbean port. We had a great view of each port from our boardwalk cabin. ImageUploadedByForums1402628531.325074.jpg.578f6788572b77243ccea6d7a942a0c0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

ImageUploadedByForums1402628466.893753.jpg.4f7fee118bcad0deebfe0482c12c70fa.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1402628497.310541.jpg.8a1b6df9549eb229575318e9421e9ed8.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Port simply means "left"...it doesn't mean that side will face the dock! Generally, the Captain will dock to each side, when possible, so everyone gets a chance at a land view. No worries, there are good views on ALL sides of the ship!

I know that port means left, and not that it's always going to dock on that side - I've cruised a few times.... but we have always taken cabins on that side for eastern caribbean sailings, and almost always have the side towards the dock - I was just wondering if the larger Allure usually was docked with the "left" side of the ship at the dock. (and every sailing i've been on, both sides have not had the land view at different ports - it's not the captains decision, it's the islands decision depending on which docking area is available.

The portside seems to always be where we book if the true afts aren't available..We have sailed many times to the eastern caribbean on Indy and Liberty..on our Oasis I knew to opt for a starboard side balcony..and had #6662..great choice.