What is the best waterproofing spray?

Dizzneefan

I've read many threads that mention the importance of waterproofing tennis shoes, coats, etc for an Alaskan trip. In looking around there are a lot of different brands and sizes. What are some you can suggest using? Also, since we will be in Seattle for a few days prior to sailing should we just wait and try to buy some there to avoid any problems with plane security? Should we just spray it prior to leaving home and not worry about doing that later or buying it in Seattle? Does it "wear off" easily and will need more applications during the week?

Sorry, I cannot help you on specific brand names, but we have used several in the past. They do NOT wear off in a day or so. You can easily use them at home, before you leave and the waterproofing will be good for some time.

With clothes, as you launder them, the waterproofing will eventually wear off, but sneakers etc. will last probably thru a season. I just wouldn't buy the cheapest one on the shelf.

Cheer

Len

Sorry, I haven't bought a waterproofing spray for over 20 years so in terms of comparative brand quality all I can say is that Nikwax worked for me way back in the day and is still available now so they must be doing something right...

As to the basics of how & when - you definitely want to spray your footwear before you travel. Generally speaking they won't wear off in the rain - a water-soluble waterproofing spray would be a non-starter! I would expect a properly-coated pair of athletic shoes to stay functional throughout your entire trip and at least a couple of months use thereafter.

Each brand, and whether it's aerosol (a pressurized spray can), a 'pump & spray' style, or a sponge/brush-on type will have different instructions about coverage & how many coats to apply. Make sure you do what the manufacturer of the specific product you're using says and you'll be good to go.

Where to buy? Online stores - Amazon, REI, Sierra Trading. For example REI are selling Nikwax leather & fabric footwear product in a 4oz container for $9 right now. That should be enough to coat several pairs of shoes.

NB: whatever product you use will only enable water to 'bead off' the shoes - i.e. if it's raining or you splash through the occasional puddle water won't soak into the fabric. Don't expect to be able to stand in water or wade through a creek! The breathability of treated fabric also reduces - so if you have an itinerary where you expect to be walking a lot over consecutive days I'd take 2 pairs of shoes and alternate them so they can properly air out.

On the coat front, there are launder-in products that are much more convenient than spray-on, but these only work properly on already-waterproof fabrics (they're meant to restore water repellency rather than add it). Honestly I'd recommend picking up a cheap, non-breathable jacket or poncho to use as your top layer when required rather than attempting to waterproof an existing coat. Amazon has a bunch of light, packable jackets in the <$25 range that get consistently good reviews - e.g. this one.

If you're not from a wet climate, your existing coats are probably designed for cold rather than rain - that means insulation and therefore weight, which in cruise season in Alaska could be very annoying as it's often wet but not very cold.

Layer your clothes - the top layer (shell) is just about keeping wind & water off you, not about keeping you warm. If it's also cold you add additional layers under your shell.

We've used Scotch Guard with good results. Spray it before you leave home and it should be good for the trip as long as it is not something that you will have laundered during the trip.

I've used it on coats, shoes, hats and even outdoor cushions.

Mary Lou

I don't know if there is a best. I have used a product sold under the brand Moneysworth and Best that is available in Canada and I can still turn the hose on my Columbia hikers while washing the car and it still repels water. In the US I would go to something like Bass, REI, Cabella,s or another good outdoor store and ask them what they recommend.

Edited by Putterdude

I purchased KIWI heavy water repellent CAMP DRY - (it had great reviews) says ideal for tents, tarps, boots, outdoor gear, boat covers, patio furniture etc - I purchased on Amazon for upcoming august cruise for my cherished hiking boots and for my husbands backpack!! Good luck!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

In the US I would go to something like Bass, REI, Cabella,s or another good outdoor store and ask them what they recommend.

Thank you, there is a Cabella's fairly close to us. Will try there.

Thank you, there is a Cabella's fairly close to us. Will try there.

While I have ordered from their catalogue for years, I have stopped and done some shopping at Cabella's in OR (no sales tax:)) on my way to and from AZ the last couple of years and have found their knowledge and service outstanding.

As someone that has camped every month for the past 10 years (Boy Scout Leader), I'll tell ya Camp Dry is my number 1 choice. You can pick it up at Dicks Sporting Goods, or just about any outdoor sports store. I've also used Scotch Guard a number of times with good success.

The key is to spray it on all seems, let it air dry, and then spray the entire object (Tent, rain jacket, boots, etc...). Let it air dry, and you should be good to go.

I do this yearly to my tent, and rain gear and I have never had an issue.