50th Anniversary Celebration

alibubba

Would like to do a cruise to celebrate our anniversary-June 2016-7 adults and 5 youth 9-18. People would be coming from Ohio and Oregon. Any suggestions as to best ship and destination to do something like this. Kids prefer a warm weather destination. Also, how far ahead would we need to book for a group this size?

You might have a better selection of rooms / locations if you book early.

The biggest decision on the ship might be "size" - were you happy with the size of your ship when you sailed last? NCL has some much larger ships now (Epic, Getaway and Breakaway around 4K passengers each), then the size you were on before (Jewel, Gem, Pearl, etc around 2.5K passengers each) and the slightly smaller ones (Spirit, Sun, Sky around 2K passengers each)

If the anniversary couple also likes warm destinations, then you can start with that. Also the ease of getting to / from the port.

Not so sure why everyone says to book soon. You could probably book the half dozen rooms you need on most of their ships for next month. June 2016 is two years from now.

Sure, book in advance, but "soon".

I would start doing some test booking to get an idea of cost.

Your type of cruise fits most cruises and ships. Comes to down to preferences, desires, etc.

I would pick Bermuda, but you can only book through 10/31/15 on the website as of 5 minutes ago. If you liked the GEM, then perhaps booking out of Boston would work, probably a few dollars less. Out of NYC its the BREAKAWAY, bigger, bit more expensive. CC faithful have declared Bermuda much better than the Bahamas cruises. You might want to book at least 9 months ahead of time to get the AARP discount, extra latitudes points and better choices of cabins. ENJOY!!

I will look up what I can on Bermuda. Thank you for that suggestion. We have all been to the Bahamas and have no desire to go back there. Was definitely hoping for what people consider their favorite destinations with family. Wondered about going out of Houston or New Orleans as none of us have done that. Never thought about leaving from Boston. Might be interesting.

Loved Gem and Pearl. Have not been on the smaller ships nor have we tried bigger ships. We have also sailed Disney, Celebrity, Royal Carribbean and Princess lines. We love the relaxed feel of Norwegian. Have you been on the bigger ships and do you like them? Most of my friends choose not to sail on the big ones. We would like at least balcony if not a suite or two on this trip.Thanks for responding.

We do New Orleans every year. Can't be beat for pre and post cruise activities. With NCL you get four ports which is good. For this year and next it will be the Dawn. Oops, sorry, NCL only cruise out of NO in fall/winter. NCL does not have much for Caribbean cruises in the summer. Most of the ships are in Europe or Alaska. June is really going to limit your choices.

Oregon and Ohio means that one or both will be flying right?

Ok I say fly south stay a few days in a hotel and enjoy some land based Olympic pool time at a nice hotel and then book a cruise from whatever port is closest best itin best price etc

Bottom line if flying is part of it then fly south

Alternately if flying in NYC is the plan then do Bermuda by all means

And with a group your size by insure at initial deposit.

Our family did the Dawn last July out of Boston to Bermuda for our 50th. We liked the three days stay in Bermuda. It allowed us lots of time to explore the island. We started out with 17 and were able to get a group rate on 8 cabins. Gave us some extra OBC to spend and only two people in a room. We ended up with 16 people going but one person had to cancel at the last minute because of a new job and no vacation time available. We kept the 8 cabin and sailed with one cabin with only one person. The only disappointment with me was that NCL told our TA that they would do a special Anniversary Dinner for us with a cake but it never happened. When we boarded, I check with Guest Services and Dinning and no one knew anything about any plans for a celebration dinner. With paying for 8 cabins, I would have thought that NCL would have, at least, acknowledged out 50th Anniversary. Outside of that, our family had a great time.

They do sell special party packages on each ship, but you must tell them about it and where you will be eating and when once you are on the ship. One hears happy birthday being sung in the MDR every night.

Why not do it up big and do the Hawaii cruise on the Pride of America?

With that trip, airfare will jump up.

And, based on many reviews here...not sure if that would be my best choice.

In June most ships have left the Caribbean and have headed to Alaska or Europe. I've been to Bermuda in June and the water was a little cool for me. The towns are charming, the beaches beautiful, and the Dockyard is interesting.

I recommend booking as early as possible in order to get the cabin locations and types of cabins you want near each other.

First, you have a lot of people to include. I think that is why you need to book early -- so that the dates are set. Second, I would not recommend Bermuda. Why not go to several islands? There are many Caribbean itineraries to choose from. And, I would suggest using a travel agency. You should get a whopping amount of on board credit or other perks. Happy Anniversary!!!

Edited by rbrugler

Right now there is one Caribbean cruise in June, 2015, the 7 day Getaway from Miami to St Thomas, British Virgin Islands and Nassau. Nice enough cruise, but also in hurricane season is more likely to be disrupted, granted June hurricanes are rare

If we had the money, we would so do Pride of America. Have been on it and love it plus no passports needed. Not only is the cruise way more expensive, but the air fare getting everyone to Hawaii would be out of question. Our granddaughter suggested the Greek Islands also. Another nice idea, but a little out of our range as we will be paying for all our guests.

I like the idea of several islands also, but it seems like an awful lot of people really like Bermuda. Told both my daughters to look that up and see what they think, however we are open for lots of ideas before we make our final decision. Thanks.

I like the idea of several islands also, but it seems like an awful lot of people really like Bermuda. Told both my daughters to look that up and see what they think, however we are open for lots of ideas before we make our final decision. Thanks.

With Bermuda, your group has so many options to 'go off on their own'. Which means nobody is 'stuck' doing something with everyone else if they choose. Some might like to hang at the beaches longer and others might want to explore Hamilton. You can always meet up for dinner ashore for a special meal. You get the ship as a hotel to totally explore an interesting island a bit more in depth than your regular multi-island rush about.

Ships like BA to Bermuda in June have seen pricing dropping steeply 30 days and then 14 or so days before sailing. Unless it is a holiday week and/ or you are very particular about cabin type/ location, there is no rush to book this. Once the new RCCL ship starts to also sail out of NY in November! I also suspect we'll see even further price drops with the increased competition especially in that "family" market.

Edited by conandrob240

I'll add that if you want NCL and you see that Kids Sail Free promo come again, jump on it and at least hold the rooms. I don't think you'll see that one come around too many times per year.

I will definitely be watching for that. I'm sure it would help a lot. Do you know what the age limit is on Kids Sail Free?

Would like to do a cruise to celebrate our anniversary-June 2016-7 adults and 5 youth 9-18. People would be coming from Ohio and Oregon. Any suggestions as to best ship and destination to do something like this. Kids prefer a warm weather destination. Also, how far ahead would we need to book for a group this size?

Just came back from Boston to Bermuda on the Dawn for our dear friends 50th Jubilee at Sea... Had a BLAST!! There were 22 adults in our group - mostly booked on our own through BJ's Travel and some of us had comped cabins from CAS or Foxwoods.

Also sailed the Gem to Bermuda from NYC a few years ago for our 30th anniversary - LOVED that too!!!

If you want the bigger ship - the Breakaway was terrific -also out of NYC we did the FLA / Bahamas itinerary- definitely a different experience. So, it depends on what you like and the preferences and ages of the people in your group.

Re: the post about their anniversary not being acknowledged... I am VERY surprised. Every time we mentioned the anniversary to the waiter they came over and sang "Let me call you sweetheart..." And brought a cake at least twice and one waiter, William, made a paper rose for my friend and she kept it all week she was so touched by his creative talent!!ImageUploadedByForums1402421653.769566.jpg.b69f596d37df03fb81e5ad5b52e66316.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

ImageUploadedByForums1402421603.380469.jpg.90bd4c073a5701b5b5f80657e5a0114f.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1402421621.223782.jpg.397409a58e9f9de09296be4f20eb8f80.jpg