Snobby Passengers??

LOL :D Oh that was you and your lovely wife in the elevator. <jk> :D

A few years ago on Grandeur, before the advent of MTD, we came back from a busy shore day and quickly cleaned up changed and stepped on the elevator to go down the dining room.

Us: I was wearing sandals, capris pants and a matching top. DH was wearing khakis and a polo shirt.

The couple on the elevator: Nylons and heels, sparkly top, wrap. He had a suit and tie on.

I said to her, "You look lovely. Oh shoot, it must be a smart casual evening. I must have missed it in the Compass"

She replied, huffy, "Well yes it is smart casual attire if you had bothered to read. I believe it was also on the announcement. "

We sort of thought it was funny. I didn't notice any meerkats, and our table mates didn't have a problem with it. Pretty much everyone looks appropriately dressed above the table top.

I find it amazing that people get huffy with strangers like that. I must go around with my head in the sand. There is something strange about people showing so much of an interest in what other people are doing. I always remember my Dad saying to me that you can't change other people, but you can change the way you react, for your own "inner peace".

We've found that on cruises with a lot of people from the West coast, they are not very friendly. They ignore you, are unfriendly, and will just step right in front of you when you are in the buffet line etc. When coming back from a repositioning Hawaiian cruise through Vancouver, a customs agent made the comment that we must not be from California, we were too friendly.:)

Wow, there is a sweeping generalization I wouldn't make even of New Yorkers and that's true!. Kidding!

As a person who is so close and striving to be Diamond, the only outright snob I ever met was on my 2nd cruise. We got an invitation to our first Welcome back party. The invitation said to bring that invitation with you for admittance so we had it clutched proudly. There was a crew member at the doorway collecting those. A lady stepped in front of us and when the guy asked for her invitation she actually said, "I don't have it, but its ok, I'm diamond" That would have been bad enough but the the dismissive hand gesture she made while intentionally walking by him and looking away from him was almost laughable.

Fortunately my first experience with a Diamond member was so much nicer. At the very end of our first cruise on Voyager we were having our final breakfast in the windjammer before disembarking. There wasn't a lot of tables available, but an older couple sitting at a table for 4 saw my Ohio State sweatshirt and invited us to join them. Turns out they were from our area. After discussion turned to cruising and how much we enjoyed our first cruise they told us they were doing a B2B and the 2nd half of it was a TA. I learned two new terms that day, but it was an enjoyable conversation.

Now, Know-it-alls, thats a whole other discussion and perhaps sometimes they have been confusing with each other. I've heard some people so sure of themselves making the most ridiculous statements. One of my most favorite happened in a real coincidence. On the way to the cruise at the airport someone happened to leave behind a photocopied article that came from the New England Journal of Medicine. It had something to do wiht chemicals leaching into water bottles when they are exposed to sunlight for long periods of time, I read it and then threw it away. (By the way the aritcle was less than a week old at that point. Wouldn't you know it, I was on deck on Navigator and a woman said to her friend that she heard that leaving water bottles out in the sun was a bad idea. Without taking a breath the woman replied while using the same dismissive hand gesture, "Oh, its ok, I researched it and its not true!" In one week she debunked the New England Journal of Medicine. Wow what a mind!

Edited by BillOh

We are from England and like dressing up when we are cruising. On our last cruise on the Adventure, a party of Americans on the next table, complimented my wife. They said she always looked elegant and they looked forward to seeing her in a different outfit each night.

On another cruise, we were invited to have a meal in Chops with another couple and two of the staff. We had a brilliant time learning that the other couple were in the Owners suite.

On another cruise, one couple from Florida said we could stay with them if our flight home was delayed due to bad weather. This was in December.

Most of the crew and fellow passengers have been good but there is always someone who upsets the apple cart. An example of this was a lady who wiped her nose on the top of her T-shirt while she was sat in the solarium!!