Snobby Passengers??

We've found that on cruises with a lot of people from the West coast, they are not very friendly. They ignore you, are unfriendly, and will just step right in front of you when you are in the buffet line etc. When coming back from a repositioning Hawaiian cruise through Vancouver, a customs agent made the comment that we must not be from California, we were too friendly.:)

In my experience there are rude people from both coasts, and Louisiana, as well.

We've found that on cruises with a lot of people from the West coast, they are not very friendly. They ignore you, are unfriendly, and will just step right in front of you when you are in the buffet line etc. When coming back from a repositioning Hawaiian cruise through Vancouver, a customs agent made the comment that we must not be from California, we were too friendly.:)

Really? So EVERYONE from California is a snob and not friendly? LOL! The only ones I have seen that step in front of you at the buffet line are from a different culture. Saw one of them take the whole crock of walnuts and walked around the buffet eating them out of the crock. Ignorance or just rude?

We have cruised mostly on RC. We are some what tentative to meet new people. Expecially me, I lack self confidence with meeting new people. Anyway, I have found people are friendly anywhere, even on cruises if you smile and say hello. You may not make forever friends but you will meet many new people who love cruising.

May I suggest you join the roll call for your cruise. RC actually hosts the Meet & Mingle for CC'ers if you have 25 people sign up. It can be a great way to meet people before you even board the ship.

Have fun and enjoy your cruise.

I am laughing hysterically at the post that said that folks from California are UNfriendly!!:eek:

When we first moved to San Diego everyone was soooo friendly we thought they all wanted to be our new best friends! Much to our surprise we found out that they were just being polite and saying, "Hi" or "Good Morning" or chatting because it was a nice day.

Funny how your own perspective can color how you see others!

The word snob or "snobbery" came into use the first time in England during the 1820s. It was said to have derived from the habit of many Oxford and Cambridge colleges of writing "sine nobilitate" (without nobility) or s.nob. next to the names of ordinary students on examination lists in order to distinguish them from their aristocratic schoolmates.[1] These common, but typically wealthy students would then acquire symbols of aristocratic status (private driver, maid etc.), and were then mocked as "snobs" by the aristocrats.

That being said, after almost 4 dozen cruises, including 13 on Cunard, I have yet to meet a "snob", and I have spoken with folks worth in the 9 figures!

As to a feeling of entitlement due to many cruises on the line, I can sort of understand this, but such a feeling should not interfere with social interaction, or so I would hope.

Frankly, if anyone acts like a snob on RCI or Carnival, then tell them to pay for Queens Grill accommodations on Cunard!

We did join the roll call, and everyone seems very friendly!

But as I mentioned in my OP, I'm just amazed at how many times I see this same complaint. Same with the 'lack of fun' on RCCL. I always kinda figured you make your own fun. You join in or you don't.

On our last CCL cruise my husband and I were probably a bit more reserved Around others not because we are unfriendly but because after 15 years of marriage it was our first trip alone and we wanted to sort of rekindle all the sparks that get list in day to day life-- a very late honeymoons we joked.

But I was called a snob because I wouldn't give up the hammock I had sat down in only ten minutes beforehand to someone that was Platinum (we are only red) She didn't like it when the attendant said Platinum didn't have special hammock privileges!

And I was the snob!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Frankly, if anyone acts like a snob on RCI or Carnival, then tell them to pay for Queens Grill accommodations on Cunard!

Although you can be a snob and have no money, often referred to as 'fur coat and no knickers' in these parts. Similarly you can be a millionaire with no snobby traits.

On our first Carnival cruise last year a lady remarked she thought all Brits were snobs within earshot of myself and my husband. Which ever country you are from you will get snobs. We just continued on with our conversation and ignored it while she got back to guzzling her buffet.

Anyway this brings me on to my point to the OP. My friend and her family will only sail RCL (RCL are getting kinda popular over here) and they always remark how friendly everyone is and how attentive the staff are. Now they only sail in Europe so its a little different but you get my point.

So far we have only cruised on Carnival, but to be clear it's because the price, dates and ports were what we were looking for. I'm not a die hard supporter of any cruise line/resort/etc.

To be clear, my husband and I usually cruise with our boys (five of them, though our next cruise in January our two oldest will not be with us-military got them instead! :( ) Though we are trying to do more things as a couple, now that our boys are older. I am a fairly reserved person, I like to have fun, but I'm not always the best at meeting new people. I would hardly call myself rude or unfriendly, just a bit on the shy side when it comes to putting myself out there in large groups where I do not know anyone.

We have booked a cruise on RCCL for this upcoming January. We got an amazing deal, and the kids were thrilled to try something new. To be honest, so were my husband and I.

What I'm really surprised about is how many people say that guests on RCCL, and even the staff are snobs.

Maybe I'm wrong, but making such a harsh judgment about someone you don't know seems pretty snobby to me.

And can we really say that there aren't snobs on CCL? I know I sure met a few on our three cruises...and a few of them took the cake! sheesh!

Is RCCL really that bad? I'm hoping for some unbiased opinions, as I'm just not one of those gals that's going to be a die hard CCL fan/RCCL/NCL etc...I've not been treated yet to anything that would inspire that sort of loyalty from me.

RC is great. If you haven't sailed with them, go with an open mind. I'm convinced if someone goes with the mindset that it's gonna be awful, they will probably consciously or subconsciously make it awful.

What ship in January? Voyager class ships on up have wonderful programs for kids.

--Signed, Loyal to Royal and NOT a snob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by internetwhiz

Half the snobbery comes from the forums themselves. I've only been on one RC, can't really say as it was our first cruise and we were seated with only one other couple. Fantasy was the best cruise. People were completely polite. We had no problem with dinner, we didn't hang with these people, but that doesn't make us anything but different. If somebody asked me to give up my hammock because they were platinum, I'd politely tell them where to slide their card. That could happen on any ship.

Ask what to wear, price drops, or where to smoke and you will draw out all the animals no matter what cruiseline.

I am Emerald on RCI and Platinum on Carnival. I have not run across so called snobby people..Obnoxious, yes! On both lines. But I can throw a pretty good stink eye when needed. LOL

I think you will have a great time on RCI..you will find more things the same, rather than different with Carnival.

Debbie

Edited by crzndeb

We have cruised on several of the major cruise lines and have found passengers the same everywhere. With the size of the ships these days the population on board is the same as a small town - you are going to get a mix of everything.

Spend time with the people you enjoy and leave the others to be.

Now that I think about it, I always found making friends with other passengers mostly on RC ships....odd.

Why?

Maybe it's just us, but we have more friends from cruises that we continue to chat and vacation with....than we do at home. :D:):D

Of course there will be snobs on Royal. I would imagine you could find them on anything you do. On a ship with anywhere from 2 to 5 thousand people, it will be easy to avoid anyone if you needed to. I would suggest checking out your cruises meet & mingle roll call and start getting to know your fellow cruisers. It's your choice if you want to meet once onboard or go to any planned events, but it might be a good start to finding friends !

Edited by RCI Cruisers 004

It has been my experience that when we cruise as a couple we socialize more and when we cruise as a family we tend to keep to ourselves (we have 4 kids so our family of 6 entertains itself. ) I notice a lot of other families are the same. So I have had less interaction with others on the lines that have lots of families (Royal and Disney) then on a more couples oriented line like Celebrity. That's probably our fault more than anything else. We always have fun though. ☺️

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by texasgirl73

I have cruised many different lines from Carnival, NCL, RCCL, Princess and Oceania and a few others..... I have found the guests on all the ships to be fun and friendly. The crew has always been great too!

I think the only cruise I did not find the crowd to be polite was out of Puerto Rico years ago on Adventure.

Having been on one RCI cruise and six Carnival's, I can honestly say that the people are more friendly on Carnival. We cruised out of San Juan on the Adventure of the Seas. Maybe the port of departure had something to do with it. All I know is that if you say something to someone on Carnival, they will answer back 99% of the time. On the AOS if you spoke to someone, they ignored you 75% of the time.

I realize you asked for an unbiased opinion but all opinions are biased. I wouldn't exactly call the passengers and crew on RCI snobs, just not very friendly.

I've cruised both lines equally and have cruised quite a few times out of San Juan. The Puerto Rico cruises are different as they can be dominated by islanders. We have always enjoyed this and viewed it as an enhancement to our cruise. That being said, there are some cultural differences.

As far as RCCL staff being snobs, I have neither heard nor experienced this. both lines train their staff extensively on customer service and I have never noticed a bid difference between the two lines.

I think the people who are on these two lines are fairly similar as well. Both lines are mass market and are priced fairly similarly. RCCL might be a little more but its ships offer more so that is somewhat to be expected.

Hope this helps!

We just took 2 B2B cruises in May and the people on the ship were anything but snobs. Everyone we met on staff or as guests were super nice and we made several really great friends. I guess it's possible that we met only the nice people (people who offered to share their table at trivia, on the promenade, and int he buffet, or folks just around our table at dinner who started up interesting conversations. One of the things I especially liked about the Freedom was the staff were all so incredible nice and accommodating.

Now, if you're talking about some of the conversations on Cruise Critic that may be an entirely different thing. Sometimes the strong opinions a few people push forward (some often even as trolls) can be a bit annoying, but even here most people are super nice and civil and the conversations, except for a few, are very enjoyable.

I'd guess all cruise lines that allow "people" on their ships are going to have a few of all types of people. That's to be expected in any people dynamic. Maybe your friends just had a rare bad experience?

Tom

So far we have only cruised on Carnival, but to be clear it's because the price, dates and ports were what we were looking for. I'm not a die hard supporter of any cruise line/resort/etc.

To be clear, my husband and I usually cruise with our boys (five of them, though our next cruise in January our two oldest will not be with us-military got them instead! :( ) Though we are trying to do more things as a couple, now that our boys are older. I am a fairly reserved person, I like to have fun, but I'm not always the best at meeting new people. I would hardly call myself rude or unfriendly, just a bit on the shy side when it comes to putting myself out there in large groups where I do not know anyone.

We have booked a cruise on RCCL for this upcoming January. We got an amazing deal, and the kids were thrilled to try something new. To be honest, so were my husband and I.

What I'm really surprised about is how many people say that guests on RCCL, and even the staff are snobs.

Maybe I'm wrong, but making such a harsh judgment about someone you don't know seems pretty snobby to me.

And can we really say that there aren't snobs on CCL? I know I sure met a few on our three cruises...and a few of them took the cake! sheesh!

Is RCCL really that bad? I'm hoping for some unbiased opinions, as I'm just not one of those gals that's going to be a die hard CCL fan/RCCL/NCL etc...I've not been treated yet to anything that would inspire that sort of loyalty from me.

"The first fall of snow is not only an event it is a magical event. You go to bed in one kind of a world and wake up in another quite different; and if this is not enchantment then where is it to be found??" JB Priestly

Oops! Thought it was a discussion about snow, not snobbery....:)

Oops, forgot about the guy from Wisconsin that chose to pick his teeth at the our table after dinner. Same Hawaiian cruise.:)

I'm originally from Wisconsin, and this is only considered a faux pas if he borrows your dessert fork to do it! :D

We've heard stories about RCI Diamond+ PAX who act snooty whilst in their coveted Concierge Club lounge. We had two D+ folks with us during our Radiance OTS B2B who said that they saw such behavior in Concierge Club lounges and they preferred the less snooty company in the Diamond Club lounge.

But the DW & I have not ever seen intolerable snooty behavior on any of our cruises, be they Cunard, NCL, Carnival or Royal Caribbean.

With that, we have about 45 more nights of slumming in our Diamond Club lounge before getting D+ and I'm looking forward to acting snooty in the Concierge Club lounge that I covet. ;-)

I too am a fairly reserved person, have been all my life. Sometimes that can seem snobbish to others, but that is their problem, not mine. I would not pay attention to what others say. Enjoy your family and your cruise, that is the only part of it that is important.