Snobby Passengers??

We have only cruised Royal. All places (land and sea) have snobs. Most passengers are been friendly. To me it seems where you sail from and age of the passengers dictated how "snobbish" people were. The most "snobbish" we have come across have been the older (70+) passengers on the east coast.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forums mobile app

I have never heard that said about Royal Caribbean. I would maybe expect people to say that about Azamara and Oceania (we didn't notice that kind of behavior on those either), or some of the lines more expensive than those.

Oops, forgot about the guy from Wisconsin that chose to pick his teeth at the our table after dinner. Same Hawaiian cruise.:)

I'm originally from Wisconsin, and this is only considered a faux pas if he borrows your dessert fork to do it! :D

Before or after it is used?

--Before, of course. No Wisconsinite would use a dirty dessert fork to pick his teeth! We're not from Chicago, after all. Go Pack!! :D

Of course there will be snobs on Royal. I would imagine you could find them on anything you do. On a ship with anywhere from 2 to 5 thousand people, it will be easy to avoid anyone if you needed to. I would suggest checking out your cruises meet & mingle roll call and start getting to know your fellow cruisers. It's your choice if you want to meet once onboard or go to any planned events, but it might be a good start to finding friends !

Meet and Mingles can be fun, but had a problem that a passenger cause a problem.

The word snob or "snobbery" came into use the first time in England during the 1820s. It was said to have derived from the habit of many Oxford and Cambridge colleges of writing "sine nobilitate" (without nobility) or s.nob. next to the names of ordinary students on examination lists in order to distinguish them from their aristocratic schoolmates.[1] These common, but typically wealthy students would then acquire symbols of aristocratic status (private driver, maid etc.), and were then mocked as "snobs" by the aristocrats.

That being said, after almost 4 dozen cruises, including 13 on Cunard, I have yet to meet a "snob", and I have spoken with folks worth in the 9 figures!

As to a feeling of entitlement due to many cruises on the line, I can sort of understand this, but such a feeling should not interfere with social interaction, or so I would hope.

Frankly, if anyone acts like a snob on RCI or Carnival, then tell them to pay for Queens Grill accommodations on Cunard!

From my favorite etymology website:

snob (n.) 1781, "a shoemaker, a shoemaker's apprentice," of unknown origin. It came to be used in Cambridge University slang c.1796, often contemptuously, for "townsman, local merchant," and passed then into literary use, where by 1831 it was being used for "person of the ordinary or lower classes." Meaning "person who vulgarly apes his social superiors" is by 1843, popularized 1848 by William Thackeray's "Book of Snobs." The meaning later broadened to include those who insist on their gentility, in addition to those who merely aspire to it, and by 1911 the word had its main modern sense of "one who despises those considered inferior in rank, attainment, or taste."

So far we have only cruised on Carnival, but to be clear it's because the price, dates and ports were what we were looking for. I'm not a die hard supporter of any cruise line/resort/etc.

To be clear, my husband and I usually cruise with our boys (five of them, though our next cruise in January our two oldest will not be with us-military got them instead! :( ) Though we are trying to do more things as a couple, now that our boys are older. I am a fairly reserved person, I like to have fun, but I'm not always the best at meeting new people. I would hardly call myself rude or unfriendly, just a bit on the shy side when it comes to putting myself out there in large groups where I do not know anyone.

We have booked a cruise on RCCL for this upcoming January. We got an amazing deal, and the kids were thrilled to try something new. To be honest, so were my husband and I.

What I'm really surprised about is how many people say that guests on RCCL, and even the staff are snobs.

Maybe I'm wrong, but making such a harsh judgment about someone you don't know seems pretty snobby to me.

And can we really say that there aren't snobs on CCL? I know I sure met a few on our three cruises...and a few of them took the cake! sheesh!

Is RCCL really that bad? I'm hoping for some unbiased opinions, as I'm just not one of those gals that's going to be a die hard CCL fan/RCCL/NCL etc...I've not been treated yet to anything that would inspire that sort of loyalty from me.

You say "What I'm really surprised about is how many people say that guests on RCCL, and even the staff are snobs."

Who are these people?

Exactly how many are there?

And where do their opinions come from... have they sailed Royal? Have they ever sailed?

Are they close family and friends?

Are they a credible source?

What I'm really surprised about is how many people say that guests on RCCL, and even the staff are snobs.

RCL is a mass market cruise like carnival. It's not a Regent or Oceania or Crystal. I don't know where you heard RCL attracts snobs, I have experienced no such thing.

You say "What I'm really surprised about is how many people say that guests on RCCL, and even the staff are snobs."

Who are these people?

Exactly how many are there?

And where do their opinions come from... have they sailed Royal? Have they ever sailed?

Are they close family and friends?

Are they a credible source?

you sure ask a lot of questions