Help - new cruiser

Dot Tee

My friend and I are thinking of taking a cruise for 7 days to Bermuda in October. I have several questions:

1. Is October still hurricane season in Bermuda and what will happen if one occurs during the cruise?

2. What is the temperature like in October? Is it really hot or more moderate?

3. The line we are looking at is NCL. Any opinions on how they are for Seniors? (Being Seniors doesn't mean we are dead, just not into silly antics :o )

4. Is 7 days too long for a first or second cruise?

Usually, hurricanes are more frequent in the summer for the southern caribbean and tend to be in the mid-atlantic in the fall. That being said, anything is possible until late October or early November.Cruise ships usually change destinations if the weather gets real bad. Cuise insurance will also allow you to defer the trip if storms are bad.

Last year there were messages from quite a few cruisers who were very unhappy to be cruising New England/Canada when they had booked Bermuda.

Bermuda is not tropical; it's on a line with North Carolina. Their low season starts in November, I believe, so October won't be really hot. At http://www.weather.com, you can find out the monthly temperature averages for many locations.

My cousin was on this cruise, all packed for warm weather in Bermuda and then when they arrived at the pier, everyone was told because of the Hurricane in Bermuda, they would be heading north. This was my cousins first and last cruise, he wasn't impressed on how things were handled by NCL.

Seven days is a nice cruise for a first timer.

Bermuda in October - bad last year - and it could be bad this year - and no on knows what 2006 will be like.

And everyone is right - NCL did make a mess of things last year by not informing people before they got to the pier that they would be taking a Canada/New England cruise instead of going to Bermuda.

Usually, hurricanes are more frequent in the summer for the southern caribbean and tend to be in the mid-atlantic in the fall. That being said, anything is possible until late October or early November.Cruise ships usually change destinations if the weather gets real bad. Cuise insurance will also allow you to defer the trip if storms are bad.

If the ship sails then cruise insurance will not let you defer the trip.

October is still a pretty busy time for hurricanes in the Atlantic. Hurricane season runs from June 1 to November 30. Since all the experts are saying this is going to be a pretty bad season for hurricanes, and we're just getting into prime hurricane season, you have to be prepared. NCL is the cruise line that experienced the nasty rogue wave a few months ago, not too far from Bermuda.

As for NCL, it's not my cup of tea as far as cruise lines go. I don't like the freestyle cruising or their food and service. I also don't care for the casual dress in the evenings on their ships. For cruising, I prefer a line that has the formal nights where everyone dresses up and you have a truly elegant dining experience. That's not to say that NCL cruisers don't dress up, but they cater to a more casual cruiser who prefers not to dress up for dinner at night. I also feel NCL caters to a younger demographic with lots of families and 20 and 30-something cruisers.

Archived