Royal Caribbean to Stop New Orleans Cruises in 2015

Check out the latest Royal Caribbean News from Cruise Critic:

Royal Caribbean to Stop New Orleans Cruises in 2015

Sorry to read that, we cruised this past April out of NOLA on Serenade and had a wonderful experience. A great city to pre-cruise and we had a very good embark and disembark experience at the port.

Safe to say money talks......RC has to do what it needs to do to keep the stockholders happy. A profit-making corporation does not make these decisions lightly.

My DW and I so enjoyed our 1st visit to New Orleans and the cruise was also wonderful. She commented on how much she enjoyed the slow run down the Mississippi and wanted to do it again someday.

When I got wind of RCI pulling out of the port, I started looking for a sailing and found a surprisingly low price at the time for a balcony that also puts us onboard for our 1st ever holiday cruise.

Serenade is a great ship and we look forward to our upcoming trip.

We also enjoyed a Serenade / New Orleans sailing back in January; but when I saw a Freedom-class ship was going to Galveston, I had a feeling the writing was on the wall for a ship in New Orleans too.

As an RCL stockholder I like that they'll tap more into the Asian market when it's hot, but as an RCL Cruiser I'd really prefer the smaller Radiance-class ship over the Freedom class.

I just don't understand these companies (RCI, NCL) that want to pull out of New Orleans. They all pull out during April and head elsewhere and don't come back until the fall. Do they even realize how much rates go up in the summer? Even Carnival charges a fortune for summer cruises. If Royal or NCL would stay during the summer, they'd make up for any smaller fares during the remainder of the year. Yet, no one will take a chance on the summer cruises here. As it is now, consumers who don't fly no other choice besides Carnival in the summer, and that's disappointing. We need more ships in N.O. to satisfy summer demand.

I sure would like to hear the rationale behind this decision. NOLA is a great city to visit pre/post cruise, it's easy to get there, the port is nice and the trip down the Mississippi River is truly enjoyable. I've taken 3 cruises on Royal from NOLA and each one has been filled to the brim with passengers.

The Executives (not just of RCCL, but all companies) need to pay more attention to their customers and less about squeezing another penny in profit. If you alienate too many of us, there won't be a profit.

I sure would like to hear the rationale behind this decision. NOLA is a great city to visit pre/post cruise, it's easy to get there, the port is nice and the trip down the Mississippi River is truly enjoyable. I've taken 3 cruises on Royal from NOLA and each one has been filled to the brim with passengers.

The Executives (not just of RCCL, but all companies) need to pay more attention to their customers and less about squeezing another penny in profit. If you alienate too many of us, there won't be a profit.

Unfortunately, I think this is exactly what they are doing only the customers (and potential future customers) are the ones in Asia. :(

Just a follow up to my earlier post, I surmise its not just the cruise fares but the revenue per passenger per day e.g. bar, spa, specialty, etc. that play into their decision making process. And they probably look at operating cost per mile per passenger day and how that affects their margins. So many variables......

Edited by tahoemc

At one point, the California resident rate on my 12/6 Serenade sailing was something like $629pp for an E-1. When RCI pulled Mariner out of LA, Adam Goldstein said that they were filling the ships, but weren't profitable - the cabin prices were low and onboard spending minimal. I imagine that NOLA is having the same issue.

As for the summer, Carnival can charge a premium because they're the only game in town (aren't they?). If another ship comes in, then the prices would likely drop. Supply and demand and all...

Cruiseapril, Serenade will be sailing 10/11 nights out of Fort Lauderdale starting in November 2015.

This is REALLY sad news. I would love to understand how Galveston wins a year-round ship over a port like New Orleans. Would you rather spend pre-cruise time in Galveston or New Orleans? It's unfortunate they treat New Orleans like a step-child since this is the 2nd time they are leaving the New Orleans port. I know many people who have taken this cruise out of New Orleans. It's very sad to see them announce leaving New Orleans. I'm a Crown & Anchor member & really thinking about my loyalty to this cruise line.