Passport name change question

HawksFan74

My wife and I are looking at sailing on the the Carnival Miracle in November. We just got married last year, and her passport (still valid until 2018) has her maiden name on it. I looked into getting a new passport with her married name on it, but it costs the same as a renewal ($110). I'm thinking it might just make more sense to book the cruise using the name on her current passport instead. Would there be any problems doing it this way? We would also be traveling with our 3 yr old DD if that makes a difference.

You can make the reservation in the name that matches her passport.

By the way, if she had changed her name on the passport within one year of getting married there would have been no charge.

Edited by njhorseman

By the way, if she had changed her name on the passport within one year of getting married there would have been no charge.

The way I read it, the no charge name change can only been done if it's been less than one year since the passport was issued.

As long as her booking name is the same as the travel documents, no problem.

Many women do not change their names for professional reasons. In all of our documents including Marriage License, SWMBO did not change her name.

The way I read it, the no charge name change can only been done if it's been less than one year since the passport was issued.

You're right...I was suffering from brain freeze when I made my post. :o

In any event there's no problem as long as the name used on the reservation is the same as the name on the passport.

I'm thinking it might just make more sense to book the cruise using the name on her current passport instead.

Yes, this makes perfect sense and it's what the members here often advise people to do. Book everything in the name on the passport, including airline tickets. I realize your wife may have already changed her driver's license to her married name, but if the reservation for both the cruise ship and the airline are the same as the passport, she will have absolutely no problems either at the airport or the pier.

I know you are legally married and want to celebrate that, but as far as documentation is concerned, it gets a bit more complicated to start booking things in the married name when the documents don't (yet) support that change.

By the way, congratulations, and have a fun cruise. :)

Question along those same lines. My passport and cruise documents match. My airline was booked independently of my cruise. My airline name does not include my first name. Since my airline reservation is not tied to my cruise reservation there should be no issue, correct?

Question along those same lines. My passport and cruise documents match. My airline was booked independently of my cruise. My airline name does not include my first name. Since my airline reservation is not tied to my cruise reservation there should be no issue, correct?

Not sure exactly what you mean by "My airline name does not include my first name". There has to be some first name on the airline reservation.

The key is that the name on the airline reservation has to match an acceptable form of ID...your passport for an international flight, or your passport, drivers license or some other official ID for a domestic flight.

Not sure exactly what you mean by "My airline name does not include my first name". There has to be some first name on the airline reservation.

The key is that the name on the airline reservation has to match an acceptable form of ID...your passport for an international flight, or your passport, drivers license or some other official ID for a domestic flight.

Airline ticket and driver's license have middle and last name. Cruise documents and passport have first, middle and last names. For the cruise portion I will not be using my DL for ID, just my passport. For airline I will use my DL that matches my airline tickets. I think I just answered my own question. :o Cruise documents match my passport which is what I'll be using for form of ID so I'm good. Thanks!