New San Francisco Cruise Terminal Photos

trbarton

Tom, any news on whether or not they'll be installing a live webcam?

No mention of a web cam and I did not see anything that looked like it would be a private elite/suite lounge. Perhaps I can find that out next week.

Tom:)

No mention of a web cam and I did not see anything that looked like it would be a private elite/suite lounge. Perhaps I can find that out next week.

Tom:)

Maybe just a dedicated seating area....however, the lounge is ALWAYS appreciated!! :D

Tricia

we are going out of Pier 27 on Sunday, cannot wait to see the new facility, did a tour of Pier 35 on the Grand Princess for a class it was pretty shabby. . .:p

Hey, it may be shabby but it had alot of history. If you want to go to Hawaii long ago, you had to catch a ship at Pier 35. It is something from another time.

Pics and review greatly appreciated. My wife and I are really looking forward to using the new facilities. We haven't had any issues with the old facility when boarding but disembarkation has been a nightmare with the crowds and the traffic on Embarcadero. The new facility looks to be a vast improvement.

Guest USC Traveler

tom.....thanks so much for all the photos you posted. the photos are fabulous! i don't think you left anything out. thanks again. i'll be taking the star on november 14th and glad to see the new terminal is so sparkling hopefully passenger friendly!

Edited by USC Traveler

Hey, it may be shabby but it had alot of history. If you want to go to Hawaii long ago, you had to catch a ship at Pier 35. It is something from another time.

Very true. The Matson ships that sailed from there back then, however, only held 700 or so passengers. The pier is now almost 100 years old, so the new one is long overdue. I do admit feeling a bit of nostalgia for that era whenever I have been to Pier 35, though.

OT: I worked with a Hawaiian gentleman years ago who said he (and other local kids) used to swim up to the Matson ships in Honolulu on "boat day". They would dive for coins the passengers would toss off the decks to them, and surface with the coins in their teeth!

Very true. The Matson ships that sailed from there back then, however, only held 700 or so passengers. The pier is now almost 100 years old, so the new one is long overdue. I do admit feeling a bit of nostalgia for that era whenever I have been to Pier 35, though.

OT: I worked with a Hawaiian gentleman years ago who said he (and other local kids) used to swim up to the Matson ships in Honolulu on "boat day". They would dive for coins the passengers would toss off the decks to them, and surface with the coins in their teeth!

Take a look!

My thanks to Tom for posting this thread and all of the photos. My wife and I will be cruising out of San Francisco for the first time this coming January. it will be our first cruising forray outside of the Caribbean. This thread has helped us to figure out what to expect when we get ready to embark.

This is certainly an upgrade over the old freight barn and long overdue. It puts San Francisco on the cruise ship map.

Except that cruise ships have been sailing from Pier 35 for about 100 years. Pier 35 was from a different time. When you board a ship to Hawaii at Pier 35, people were doing that over 80 years ago from the same spot. It was a different time. Granted San Francisco never kept up with the changing times in terms of cruise ships, but it was never economically justifiable. Even now, the new cruise terminal may not be economically justifiable. As a San Francisco taxpayer, I like the new terminal, but I know in my heart (or is it from my pocket:D) that the taxpayers of San Francisco will be subsidizing this terminal.

Went for a walk down to Pier 27 and at 2:30pm, there was a line about 100 yards long to get into the building (passengers embarking on the Star Princess). No lines of cars getting into Pier 27. Talk to someone there, apparently security is very slow today. It is the 1st real day of operation. There will be a learning curve for the new place. But there shouldn't be a line that long at this point of time unless customs was very slow about letting people off this morning.

Many thanks to Tom for all the information and pictures! You are amazingly conscientious and resourceful!

We embark on the Star for the roundtrip Hawaii Christmas cruise in 2+ months. Tom, Asta, my mom and I will miss you on this one!;)

thanks to all for the great info.

Laura

To the OP..........thank you so much for sharing with us, photos of the new San Francisco pier.

I understand that we will be there next week, for a day on September 29th, on the Crown Princess, and thanks to you, I feel that I have a much better picture of the new facilities.

You are what is so important to Cruise Critic, a desire for cruising, and a willingness to share.

Thanks again!!:);)

Rick