Taxi!!!

Owlhelm

Hi,

Currently trying to decide whether to drive down to Southampton or get a train. Money-wise the train is slightly cheaper (when adding fuel to parking) , and only requires 1 (easy) change across both journeys.

So, my question relates to the taxis in Southampton.

Can anyone tell me the availability of taxis at the station and at the port on disembarkation? Both days are Friday. Also, it's a short journey, so I'm guessing the fare will be about a fiver?

Thanks

Martin

Hi,

Currently trying to decide whether to drive down to Southampton or get a train. Money-wise the train is slightly cheaper (when adding fuel to parking) , and only requires 1 (easy) change across both journeys.

So, my question relates to the taxis in Southampton.

Can anyone tell me the availability of taxis at the station and at the port on disembarkation? Both days are Friday. Also, it's a short journey, so I'm guessing the fare will be about a fiver?

Thanks

Martin

Lots of taxis available at the station and terminals. Make sure you get a train that arrives around about noon. You know what the trains are like for delays :eek:

Taxis are readily available at Southampton Central railway station and at cruise terminals when you disembark but I would suggest depending on terminal that it would cost a lot more than £5.

Thanks re the availability. It's the Ocean Terminal, and is a 1.6 mile drive according to Google Maps.

I was so taken aback by the thought it would cost a lot more than £5 that I did some research. According to Southampton City Council who set the fares, it is calculated as...

TARIFF 1 – Daytime – for any hiring begun after 6.00 a.m. and before 11.00 p.m. except as in Tariffs 3, 4 and 5 below

(a) For the first 110 metres (120.3 yards) or part thereof: £2.80

(b) For the each subsequent 110 metres (120.3 yards) or part thereof to a maximum total distance travelled of 330 metres (360.9 yards): £0.20

© For each subsequent 195 metres (213.3 yards) or part thereof thereafter: £0.20

(d) Waiting Time – For each period of thirty-six seconds or part thereof: £0.20

It's 1.6 miles, so that should add up to £5.60. Getting back there is an additional fee!! I quote again from the City Council...

Additional Charges

CRUISE TERMINALS – if hired from a marshalled cruise terminal rank, £1.00 per hiring

I put this on for anyone else wondering's benefit. Also, as prices are subject to change, the link to the council page is http://www.southampton.gov.uk/business/licensing/taxis/

Cheers!

M.

Lots of taxis available at the station and terminals. Make sure you get a train that arrives around about noon. You know what the trains are like for delays :eek:

The drive is one of the reasons I was considering the train - road works, accidents, breakdowns (!!!). Yes, we're planning on getting in at 11:45, and as checkin is from 2pm, that'll leave us plenty of time :D

M.

The drive is one of the reasons I was considering the train - road works, accidents, breakdowns (!!!). Yes, we're planning on getting in at 11:45, and as checkin is from 2pm, that'll leave us plenty of time :D

M.

Checkin opens at noon so you should be able to go straight there and be on board for lunch. If a lot of people turn up around that time, you may be asked to wait in the lounge and be given a lettered card and wait until your letter is called. Usually the wait is not more than 30 minutes.

Brian

Checkin opens at noon so you should be able to go straight there and be on board for lunch. If a lot of people turn up around that time, you may be asked to wait in the lounge and be given a lettered card and wait until your letter is called. Usually the wait is not more than 30 minutes.

Brian

Good news! Thanks Brian.

We parked near the train station (a little further on) in February and the taxi cost just over £6 each way. We asked for an estate car taxi because of the luggage and was told that this was the same price as an ordinary saloon taxi.

Hope that helps.

Will they charge additionally for how many cases you have. I thought taxis always charged an amount per case as well.

There's no reference to the number of cases in the fares table. I've never been charged (that I'm aware of) for the number of cases before.