Do you tip the fitness instructors (private or class)?

As the title states, do you tip the instructors for the fitness classes? What about a private session?

I ask because on my last cruise I signed up for yoga ($12) and I was the only one who showed up, I ended up getting a private yoga session. I didn't think to tip the instructor at the time.

On our next cruise I plan to take more fitness classes, what is typical for tipping the instructors? Is that the "norm?"

Thank you in advance, have a great weekend!

I wouldn't think to do it, either....you are paying them for the service...I don't tip private trainers at the gym, either..but, it's up to you!

I do. At Christmas my Personal Trainer gets a nice tip from me and many others. I don't feel the need to pay for a trainer or classes on a ship. I just use the gym so don't tip anyone in the gym but would tip the trainer if I used them.

I don't quite get the whole "you are paying them for a service so no tip" logic. Does this mean you don't have to tip for the hair salon, mani/pedi or massage? I think those are services.

On Royal, they automatically added a tip to the bill for a yoga class.

For many cruise lines a tip is automatically added to your bill for private lessons.

For regular classes from time to time I have given a tip at the end of the cruise if there was a particular fitness director(s) who I thought were very good at what they do.

Keith

I probably wouldn't unless you took a lot of classes with them and got to know them a bit better. I'm not sure if they do this with all cruise lines but I know they do with Princess - I would fill out one of those little comment cards about what crew members made your cruise extra special, the ones that get entered so their boss can see what a good job they've been doing :)

For a private lesson I'd tip a small amount, but more like 10% than the 20% I tip for spa services.

For a group class, no way.

I have a private trainer at home, I tip him once a year, at Christmas, the cost of one session. I belong to a yoga studio and take classes with five different teachers. I don't tip them, but pick up little gifts for them that I know they will love or want throughout the year as I find them. (A t-shirt from a famous yoga studio I visited that I know one wants to try, Jersey tomatoes that one loves and we can't get in Florida, organic vanilla beans from French Polynesia for one who loves to cook, etc.)

Edited by ducklite