Vancouver's waterfront train station.

cruising in

There is a direct YVR train on the Canada Line. It does not run as often, but it is better to take it so you don't have to transfer.

Just make sure you get on the YVR train.

Well not quite correct, the YVR train operates every 6 to 7 minutes and the Richmond/Brighouse train operates every 6 to 7 minutes during peak and mid-day hours of the work week. Early morning on weekends each train operates on a 12 minute schedule. But you are correct if you get on the YVR train it does save transferring .

http://tripplanning.translink.ca/hiwire?.a=iScheduleLookupSearch&LineName=999&LineAbbr=999

Is there an elevator at the waterfront station? We do not want to lug our bags down stairs. Also is it the sky train we take to the Vancouver airport?

Waterfront is a bunch of station platforms for 3 different sets of rail lines + a ferry terminal, and has a few entrances; so I'll do my best here to cover them. Skytrain refers to all 3 light rail (because most of the original line is elevated) systems, so if you're going to the airport, you want Skytrain's Canada Line.

Waterfront Station:

Skytrain (light rail) Expo Line to Burnaby, New West & Surrey

Skytrain (light rail) Millenium Line to Burnaby New West and North Burnaby

Skytrain (light rail) Canada Line to YVR/Airport and Richmond

West Coast Express (heavy rail) to Port Moody, Port Coquitlam, Maple Ridge & Mission

Seabus (passenger ferry) to North Vancouver/Lonsdale Quay

Entrances:

Cordova Street: Elevator access to all of the above mentioned services

Howe Street (nearest Canada Place): Escalator/Stair access to the Expo/Millenium Line tracks. While you can go down to these platforms and back up to the others, it's a waste of effort

Granville Street(@ W.Hastings): alternate entrance to Skytrain Canada Line (w/ escalator and elevator). This is a good EXIT from Canada Lline to Canada Place, as the walk is slightly downhill this way.

There are a couple of other ways in as well (Sinclair Centre, Waterfront Centre), but these are the main entrances

In summary it sounds like you want to head to the airport after your cruise. Exit the cruise terminal to your left. Walk one block straight ahead to Cordova street past the lineup of taxis, and ignore the "Skytrain" entrance (see above - no elevator - stairs rqd) as it leads to the wrong platforms. Turn left on Cordova and walk about a block and a half, and enter Waterfront Station (the big brick building) on your left. From there it's elevators and escalators to Canada Line.

Here is a link to scottbee's great slide show showing the complete trip in detail in the other direction, from arrival at YVR airport to Canada Place Waterfront Station.

https://picasaweb.google.com/vancouvercruise/CanadaLineYVRToCanadaPlaceWaterfrontStation

Just click slideshow (in small print at upper left) to start it.

It has been very helpful to many since it was first posted.

Thank you, scottbee.

Edited by fleckle

Here is a link to scottbee's great slide show showing the complete trip in detail in the other direction, from arrival at YVR airport to Canada Place Waterfront Station.

https://picasaweb.google.com/vancouvercruise/CanadaLineYVRToCanadaPlaceWaterfrontStation

The slideshow is helpful, but a little out of date. There is now a direct train to Canada Place and it costs CN$9.

The slideshow is helpful, but a little out of date. There is now a direct train to Canada Place and it costs CN$9.

<sarcasm>Wow, and here's me been dumb enough to get off at Waterfront Station and *walk* to Canada Place! Thanks for the 100% accurate info about the direct train. </sarcasm>

Actually the train from YVR has ALWAYS been direct to Waterfront (NB: NOT Canada Place, that only has ships...) - SBs only mention of changing trains in that gallery was for people going to Richmond, not Vancouver.

I agree that it's simply outrageous of him to leave up his photo of the old pricing structure though - terribly unhelpful chap so he is. Let's burn him at the stake unless he replaces that picture and any mention of old ticket pricing!

<sarcasm>Wow, and here's me been dumb enough to get off at Waterfront Station and *walk* to Canada Place! Thanks for the 100% accurate info about the direct train. </sarcasm>

Actually the train from YVR has ALWAYS been direct to Waterfront (NB: NOT Canada Place, that only has ships...) - SBs only mention of changing trains in that gallery was for people going to Richmond, not Vancouver.

I agree that it's simply outrageous of him to leave up his photo of the old pricing structure though - terribly unhelpful chap so he is. Let's burn him at the stake unless he replaces that picture and any mention of old ticket pricing!

Wow, your "sarcasm" is over the top. I only thought people should realize that the photos came from 2009.

Edited by theloo

Wow, your "sarcasm" is over the top. I only thought people should realize that the photos came from 2009.

I'll admit I could have been classier in my reply, and for that I'll apologize - but if you only intended to point out the age of the pics you could have said precisely that. Instead you chose to give incorrect information about train destination and historical routing...

<sarcasm> Like most other transit systems in the world, the stations don't get rebuilt every 5 years </sarcasm>