Bit of a blog – Legend of the Seas - Ultimate Scandinavia & Russia – June 18th 2014

Thanks everyone for hanging in here with me. Jase you are a *. Thanks x

Today in Riga was another 'heavy' one but I am now sat in my favourite place..... latte-tudes with a really special coffee and will attempt to finish blogging Berlin before the alcohol kicks in.

Checkpoint Charlie from the van

DSCN0096.jpg

DSCN0097.jpg

The site of Hitler’s bunker. Below here. Concreted over. His body was apparently dragged to the street and set on fire.

DSCN0102.jpg

DSCN0100.jpg

DSCN0101.jpg

My spitting action was spontaneous and incisive.

Got disconnected. Tut.

This. How do you design a memorial to show the enormity of what has occurred. The stones start out flat then appear to grow out of the ground.

DSCN0108.jpg

They too are hollow. As you walk through them the ground undulates under your feet until they tower above you. They don’t move. You do. I come out changed. Cathartic experience.

They appear to be one height.

DSCN0107.jpg

They're not

DSCN0109.jpg

Twice my height

DSCN0110.jpg

DSCN0111.jpg

A little school. Each child picks the name of anyone of many whose story they do not know. They write the name on a brick then follow the story of that person as they go through the school which is built on the site of a synagogue, that was never rebuilt having been destroyed.....

DSCN0114.jpg

On June 4, 1993, the police in the Schoneberg district of Berlin received a number of phone calls from irate individuals claiming that anti-Semitic signs bearing such provocative inscriptions as ‘Ban on Jewish musicians. 31.3.1935’ and ‘Jews may no longer keep pets, 15.2.1942’ were being bolted to lamp posts around the Bayerischer Platz. The Police rushed to investigate; what they found was not a group of neo-****s but the artist Renata Stih and the art historian Frieder Schnock in the process of mounting eighty plaques that together were to form a memorial network to the deported Jews of Berlin. To allay further concern a smaller plaque underneath each sign explains why it is there.

DSCN0118.jpg

DSCN0119.jpg

This one states : Jewish communities are responsible for clearing the rubble at Synagogues which have been destroyed. Reconstruction is forbidden.

We find my cousin’s address (turns out Einstein lived on the same street) and the plaque, stolperstein, to her mother. I call her back in the UK and tell her where I am. I can hear from her voice how happy she is to hear from me. The stone needs a clean and while I am on the phone Heidi and Henry clean it up with hand wipes. How incredibly kind. We get to go into the lobby.

DSCN0120.jpg

DSCN0122.jpg

The stolperstein has been placed next to the pavement as opposed to next to the building itself. Heidi tells me that the owners of the property will have been approached to have the plaque placed next to the building. They will have refused, so the stone has been placed next to the pavement.

DSCN0123.jpg

We then go to Grunewald Station from where 55,000 deportations were made. No longer in use it is a permanent memorial to the souls whose lives were lost. On both sides of the old platform they have laid information regarding the date of each transport, its destination and the number of ‘passengers’. I find Gertrude’s transport. She was one of 1,003 that day. The neighbourhood she lived in is a beautiful and relatively affluent one. The realisation and significance that many thousands of people were transported through this neighbourhood, apparently unchallenged, is not lost on me.

DSCN0131.jpg

DSCN0127.jpg

DSCN0126.jpg

Portobello Menu in the MDR

My GF meal

DSCN0140.jpg

DSCN0141.jpg

DSCN0142.jpg

Maybe the skies are an omen..... trying to watch the England V Uruguay match

DSCN0143.jpg

Jeremie and Topi recording the breakfast show in the lift....

DSCN0145.jpg

Still can't watch match from Viking Crown..... Izumi is in the way....

DSCN0146.jpg

Edited by NorbertsNiece

You have done a wonderful job telling us about your German trip which I feel must have been so difficult for you to write about.

Thank you.

I know my Father was in Holland and Germany during the liberation and would never talk about it, now like so many others he is not with us to even answer the easiest of questions.

You have done a wonderful job telling us about your German trip which I feel must have been so difficult for you to write about.

Thank you.

I know my Father was in Holland and Germany during the liberation and would never talk about it, now like so many others he is not with us to even answer the easiest of questions.

Thank you. My father similarly never spoke about the loss of his mother, brothers, sister and baby nephew.... they too perished. Just uploading pics from yesterday, our sole sea day...... writing up today, Riga, is going to take some effort....

Breakfast.....

The Replenish package is utterly brilliant.

Freshly squeezed orange juice for breakfast which is my first in the MDR.

DSCN0148.jpg

They bring me my specialty coffee in a cup!! There's more to be had in a paper cup!!

DSCN0149.jpg

DSCN0150.jpg

DSCN0152.jpg

DSCN0153.jpg

DSCN0154.jpg

DSCN0155.jpg

DSCN0156.jpg

DSCN0157.jpg

There are also self serve cereals

I have asked for GF French toast

DSCN0158.jpg

We go for a ports of call talk where horror stories about being attacked in St Petersburg I believe are designed to persuade us to stick with the RCCL tours......

DSCN0159.jpg

More food..... look it's a sea day ok?

This is GF chocolate cake..... as fresh as you like.... from Cafe Latte Tudes...

DSCN0160.jpg

There is to be an aerial display

DSCN0161.jpg

We lunch with an aerialist, he is also the dance captain

DSCN0162.jpg

Have a lunch menu

DSCN0163.jpg

My Tutti salad

DSCN0164.jpg

M&M.... you can see how squashed we were

DSCN0167.jpg

There were raffle prizes but insufficient gifts from RCL for everyone.

DSCN0168.jpg

CHEF'S TABLE

DSCN0175.jpg

We meet and are served champagne in the Schooner Bar.

DSCN0180.jpg

DSCN0181.jpg

We have assigned seats and printed menus

DSCN0182.jpg

DSCN0183.jpg

The Sous Chef explains each course and then the wine pairing and how to drink the wine is explained.

DSCN0187.jpg

The light shade.....

DSCN0192.jpg

The array of wine glasses

DSCN0189.jpg

They get :

DSCN0188.jpg

I get :

DSCN0190.jpg

Am seriously unimpressed..... breakfast MDR bread..... Patty if you're following what does this remind you of?

First glass of wine is poured

DSCN0191.jpg

DSCN0193.jpg

My post disappeared. If it comes back, I apologize for the duplicate.

Anyhoo...

Your report on Berlin is very moving. I'm very thankful that my entire family had emigrated to the US by 1900.

Looking forward to Riga...

Thank you for yet another wonderful blog Linda - this is a trip on our bucket list so have found your expèriences fascinating and you have given us some great ideas for excursions - it has been very moving to read your story xx

Thank You for this wonderful review. I love it!

Welcome to Helsinki tomorrow. Unfortunately, it's unusual cold weather here. Coldest midsummer in 30 years :eek:

So put on warm clothes, take an umbrella with You and enjoy Your Helsinki Day :)