Bit of a blog – Legend of the Seas - Ultimate Scandinavia & Russia – June 18th 2014

Really looking forward to reading, we're planning a Caribbean cruise on Legend in December and there's not a lot of reviews out there about her!

Next cruise: Oasis of the Seas 12-night Westbound Transatlantic 15.10.2014

I have enjoyed chatting with you on Wonderful Copenhagen and am so looking forward to this Blog as we are making the same trip next summer but HOW DO you actually subscribe to a Blog and not have to go looking for it every day ???? Someone help ! please :)

thank you ;) jan

I have enjoyed chatting with you on Wonderful Copenhagen and am so looking forward to this Blog as we are making the same trip next summer but HOW DO you actually subscribe to a Blog and not have to go looking for it every day ???? Someone help ! please :)

thank you ;) jan

Jan go to the top of the page and click on display mode. On the next screen you can subscribe to the thread. :D

<snip> but HOW DO you actually subscribe to a Blog and not have to go looking for it every day ???? Someone help ! please :)

Thank you for asking, Jan, and thank you to Paula2051 for answering! I'm now subscribed to the Blog!

Best wishes!

The following were posted to the roll call.... the first 2 in error..... I am totally shocked to see how many views this has had already and I've not boarded yet....

I have broken my camera..... don't ask..... fortunately Nancy's camera could read my card thingy and I've been able to download the pics I'd taken today already. Am sitting in her room now..... and her single room is larger than mine!! Her room is on the side.

Hot day. My case was light because I didn't pack any shorts.... needed shorts today!

The view from my room this morning.

IMG_3265.jpg

The view behind the hotel

IMG_3266.jpg

Reception

IMG_3267.jpg

Breakfast

IMG_3268.jpg

IMG_3269.jpg

Heading out to Tivoli. More pics later...... ;)

Ok the above should have gone in the blog. We are in Tivoli. Got in free with the Copenhagen Card. John Mayer will b performing shortly.

From my mobile so apologies for predictive text

We're back from Tivoli..... barely saw John Mayer..... massive crowds.... very fun place though....

IMG_3270.jpg

IMG_3273.jpg

If you have luggage and cannot manage the stairs there is a set of double doors to the right.

WP_000918.jpg

There is a bell to the left which will alert reception that you are there and they will open the doors..... there is a lift within.

WP_000919.jpg

Around the corner is a bus stop.

The no. 66 took me here this morning. A cemetery.

IMG_3274.jpg

I came with a purpose to visit this grave.

IMG_3276.jpg

IMG_3275.jpg

A couple of weeks ago they showed 'Hans Christian Andersen' on TV. I grew up with Danny Kaye and these songs being played at home. Very sentimental.

I decide to to do a recce of the 26 bus route as so many people want to know how to get to the pier from town. Whilst waiting at the bus stop there is this poster for 'The Little Mermaid'.......

IMG_3277.jpg

This is specifically how to get to Oceankaj from Copenhagen. You must be sure that the bus is signed Faergehavn as pictured as not all the 26 buses go there. If in doubt ask the driver if s/he is going to UNICEF.

IMG_3278.jpg

IMG_3279.jpg

This is the bus stop at UNICEF. The terminal can be seen right behind

IMG_3280.jpg

This is the return bus stop for those disembarking on the other side of the road. You can see the UNICEF building behind.

IMG_3282.jpg

This sign was attached :

IMG_3283.jpg

The 26 bus is a regular passenger vehicle. I really can't guestimate how many would fit inside with luggage.

IMG_3285.jpg

IMG_3286.jpg

Another way to reach the port would be to take the train to Osterport station then take the 26 from there. It is a very circuitous route that is still 20 minutes from UNICEF. You pass the DFDS terminal on the way. Today there were no cruise ships in port and the roads were clear.

Edited by NorbertsNiece

I got off the return 26 at Osterport and took myself on walkabout.

IMG_3287.jpg

So many people there was very difficult to grab a shot with no-one in it..... someone (not me) fell in.

Copenhagen is a city of bicycles. They are EVERYWHERE. Pedestrians walk on cobbles. The smooth 'pavements' are for the bicycles.... Men in suits and ties. Women in heels. Mothers with adapted bikes with baby specific carriers built on. Elderly. This has to be one incredibly fit city! Its flatness contributes to the value of 2 wheels over 4. Very few helmet wearers. London could learn SO much!!

WP_000884.jpg

Here's a statue of H C Andersen. Unfortunately there was a workman's vehicle pushed right up next to him so I couldn't get a good pic.

WP_000885.jpg

WP_000886.jpg

He lived a couple of doors down from the hotel. There's a souvenir shop there now..... have yet to venture in.

Edited by NorbertsNiece

Lunch

From a recommendation in Fodor's 'European Cruise Ports of Call'

WP_000887.jpg

The various dishes are lined up and are described

WP_000888.jpg

Herring numerous ways. Yum. GF bread (not good unfortunately but it was available)

WP_000890.jpg

I continue my walkabout. Love coming across local neighbourhoods. Beautiful city.

WP_000891.jpg

I come across Gamers heaven. A series of shops selling vintage board games, memorabilia and best of all a comic book store (don't raise your eyebrows.... I love 'Big Bang Theory' and have my own Supergirl! Seriously. I have video to prove it) I find her something very special for her special birthday and once she has received it will post a pic of it here..... ;)

Have just realised it's gone midnight. When I wake at silly o'clock will finish writing up today.

Nice review so far, I totally forgot about the John Mayor concert, I have a all year card for Tivoli so the concert would have been free.

But I'm getting my fair share of concerts in 2 weeks time when Roskilde Festival starts.

I'm planning to see The Rolling Stones, Outkast, Stevie Wonder, Damon Albarn (off Blur and Gorillaz), Arctic Monkeys and many many others so I can handle that I'm missed John Mayor.

Nice review so far, I totally forgot about the John Mayor concert, I have a all year card for Tivoli so the concert would have been free.

But I'm getting my fair share of concerts in 2 weeks time when Roskilde Festival starts.

I'm planning to see The Rolling Stones, Outkast, Stevie Wonder, Damon Albarn (off Blur and Gorillaz), Arctic Monkeys and many many others so I can handle that I'm missed John Mayor.

Hey! You have no idea how much help you have been to me and the roll call!! Your patience with the repetitive questions is soooo inspirational..... seriously....

The Stones!!?? Wow.

God nat!

Linda

NN - We were at Tivoli tonight too! Did you see me? LOL

Gosh wasn't it packed??!! Nancy and I were sat for a while on some steps but my walkabout earlier in the day was beginning to take its toll..... we didn't stay too long after the set finally began.... If you see pink feathers flying tomorrow please come up and say hi!

Thank you for sharing your experiences.

We are very excited about returning to Copenhagen for embarkation, it is one of our favorite ports!

We are thinking about the Bethel as a base next year. You have already mentioned that noise has not been an issue for you at the front of the building. I am concerned about the lack of air-conditioning. How are the temperatures?

Such an interesting blog already! Can't wait to read more about your trip. Sounds like it us going to be such an interesting cruise. Out of all your ports, I have only been to Copenagen and that was back in 1975 when I was a teenager!

Enjoy!

We leave on the NCL star from Copenhagen in two weeks, so I'm so excited to see your posts about Copenhagen. Can you share the location of the stores selling vintage board games? We are travelling with gaming friends and I'd love to surprise them with something unique.

And thanks for the bus photos!