Bit of a blog – Legend of the Seas - Ultimate Scandinavia & Russia – June 18th 2014

I have a super deal with my mobile phone provider. For just an extra £2 a day I get the full use of the package I have with them so long as I am in Europe. Sweet. Means I can post occasional updates straight from my phone rather than giving the money to RCL. I can check my emails and make phone calls at my local rate. So with any luck you will be able to keep up with what is happening and the only issue I will have is uploading the pics then copying and pasting extra text to you.

Legend is in fine shape. The word I am using for her is ‘sparkling’. Most crew members I have encountered for any reason has been exceptional. For a day 1 experience they haven’t failed to impress. What I am conscious of is the failure of RCL to actually impart information to their new cruisers about basic things such as : what dining venues are actually included in the package. It clearly isn’t obvious to all as I have encountered people whose native language isn’t English who simply do not know.

Lunch

Many visitors are on board apparently. Just before the hour they turn up in the solarium and create a queue. Sigh. When I get my turn I enquire about GF bread. They could not do enough for me and scuttle about with such energy. When some bread is brought to the table it resembles a focaccia….. a still frozen one….. it is removed and returned warm. It is tasteless with the texture of natural sponge. A Team Leader from ‘Chops’ comes over to take the details of my Specialty Dining. My ‘reputation’ is beginning to spread.

Head to RCL Online to set up my account…. Then wait for the Loyalty Ambassador to arrive. Nancy needs to sort out the fact that her Setsail Pass has her as a Gold Member when she is in fact Diamond. I need an explanation as to what all the water in my room is about. Apparently I have been given 6 bottles of Evian. I ask for anything not mine to be removed from my room to avoid confusion as there’s no price list for what else there is and I am not about to purchase any of it. By the time I get back from dinner this has been done and my bed has been split in two…. I’ve met my room steward who assures me the amenities in the bathroom are for my use. Can’t tell you the name of the LA without looking it up. I did ask her but her quiet tone and my diminished hearing combined to confuse me. She wasn’t wearing a badge. She barely smiled. At all. We were the 2nd to sit down. She’s already had a hard day apparently.

I boarded wearing my pink boa….. I’m a Pink Boa Cruiser….. and after Muster headed to the pool bar as previously arranged on the roll call. Quite a few people turned up which was lovely. Ah yes. The Pool Bar. Day 1 experience failed to impress here…… The couple who joined Nancy and me in the taxi had no DKK so I said they can buy me a couple of drinks in exchange on board. I asked for a Mudslide (it’s my default alcoholic drink). Nope. Can’t do that. It’s being loaded at the moment. OK. I’ll have a Pimm’s (that’s my go to drink in Summer…. Google it if you don’t know what it is ;) ) Ah. No. We don’t have that either. I am now wracking my brains. Ah yes of course. Pina Colada. Nope can’t do that. What!!! You’re having a laugh. Quizzical look. What can you offer me? He offers Strawberry Daiquiri? Mango Daiquiri? I settle for the Mango. This may now be my new go to drink. I finish the glass and am becoming very chill and mellow. Hmmmm. Not quite sure how long I will be able to stand up…. (I don’t drink often….. or much when I do)

I head for the Diamond Lounge. OK now I see why people like it so much. Chocolate covered strawberries! Chicken drumettes!!! Little bites of things with no names. Friendly people. Lovely staff and concierge. I am encouraged to take a glass of Merlot. Now this was more like half a bottle poured into this huge glass. No exaggeration! By this time I’m beginning to feel movement and think that perhaps I’ve reached my limit when it’s clear I really am feeling movement and we are finally, albeit a tad late as there were late boarders according to the concierge, under way.

I really want to head out and see where we are going. It appears the only way to look forward is from WindJammer. Or go to a higher deck. Armed with the Merlot I’m really not in a state to go wandering. We head to the MDR. Ah the GF lady Linda is here! Right. We ask to be seated with others and are taken to a table for 2. Have THAT conversation with the waiter whose response was ‘You should have told them’. He then asks us to sit at the table. I said again we’d like to sit with others. He gets on the phone. There’s no reply. He disappears. The Head Waiter is popping napkins on people’s laps at a table for 8 ….. I go over and enquire whether it would be possible to join this table. He is momentarily flustered; at that moment the waiter returns to seat us there. Lovely jubbly. Company from the US, Germany, Ireland and Norway.

Mojo menu. I don’t think I’ll bother photographing menus this time. They’re all out there somewhere. I’ll name them though. Ooooooh had a light bulb moment and remembered reading on CC that savoury bites are GF, made with potato flour!! They bring me the usual squares of toasted something and I have a savoury bite. Heaven. Our waiter is Andrea from Italy. He is bordering on adorable….. laden with enthusiasm about RCL and does a way better job at presenting a positive view of the company than the LA. He hovers around me nervously….. I think he thinks I’m about to explode or something….. I’d told him the story about being served a GF meal on Adventure that wasn’t GF at all…. I order my meal for tomorrow.

Replenish package. Oooooh yummmmmm. They have Illy coffee. My favourite. Seriously. I ask for a decaf cappuccino with my dessert. It comes in a paper cup. No kidding. Then I realise I can take it away with me…… then I taste it….. not half bad….. I later go to Latte-and see the brand….. and get a mega cup of the stuff which is keeping me company here.

Wi fi may be pervasive but down here on deck 2 I only have 2 bars so if you’re reading this I have found somewhere to sit to post. All C&A benefits have been preloaded on the setsail pass and I have $25 free internet to use. I will then get a discount on a package.

Bob : I originally booked an Inside and on a rare price drop day I upgraded to an OV for £30. Obsessive checking pays off!

Writing this here as I am likely to forget….. met some people who walked an hour with their bags from a train station…. She said Nordhavn. I met others who loved the 26 bus.

Stateroom…..

I’m not sure which power socket is the most efficient for me to use…. I have a multi –purpose adapter…. Maybe someone can tell me… there are two outlets for rectangular prongs and 2 with round prongs….

TV. No interactive element there whatsoever. Miss that. No pay to view movies. No account viewing. No route map showing our direction. The England match is being screened tomorrow on the pool deck. There is World Cup soccer being shown however. Only televised cricket is more boring. And golf. The phone is on the vanity unit. It has an extremely long cable however so I can have it by the bed to use for an alarm in the morning. Shower curtain. Bleurgh.

Edited by NorbertsNiece

I’m setting you all some homework for Thursday. I have a private transfer meeting me (no-one on the roll call wanted to share so it’s me, myself and I in the car) and a private guide in Berlin. I’d like you to read this article if you have time. The 94 year old is my cousin who still lives in her apartment with her 96 year old husband. She is an incorrigible person. I’m going to visit her previous home and see the stolperstein for myself. Then visit other sites of Jewish interest. When I wanted to see if I could do the transfer and tour with RCL and have time to make the visit somehow I got little support from the Shorex people and decided to do it by myself. When I go to Riga I am doing the Jewish tour with RCL….. her mother was murdered there….. I am fearful what that day will bring.

I’m setting you all some homework for Thursday. I have a private transfer meeting me (no-one on the roll call wanted to share so it’s me, myself and I in the car) and a private guide in Berlin. I’d like you to read this article if you have time. The 94 year old is my cousin who still lives in her apartment with her 96 year old husband. She is an incorrigible person. I’m going to visit her previous home and see the stolperstein for myself. Then visit other sites of Jewish interest. When I wanted to see if I could do the transfer and tour with RCL and have time to make the visit somehow I got little support from the Shorex people and decided to do it by myself. When I go to Riga I am doing the Jewish tour with RCL….. her mother was murdered there….. I am fearful what that day will bring.

Thank you for sharing your journey. I read the article. It is remarkable. You are fortunate to be related to this woman, a living piece of history.

I’d like you to read this article if you have time.

Words fail me.

An old friend died earlier this year. He was the result of his parents' fluke reunion in a French DP camp in 1945. He and his parents then came to the US in the early 1950s.

99%+ of his large extended family (Vienna) disappeared/died in the camps, couple of cousins were all who survived.

Thanks.

Edited by pspercy

Flying down autobahn 120kph. Just got overtaken. That car has disappeared over the horizon. No speed limit. Jeremy Clarkson eat your heart out.

My German is bearing up; Henrik, my driver, seems to understand me. Lovely big 7 seater.

I’d like you to read this article if you have time.

Words fail me.

An old friend died earlier this year. He was the result of his parents' fluke reunion in a French DP camp in 1945. He and his parents then came to the US in the early 1950s.

99%+ of his large extended family (Vienna) disappeared/died in the camps, couple of cousins were all who survived.

Thanks.

This lady is dad's family. Dad also lived in Berlin pre war. His mother, brothers and sister all perished.

Mum was Viennese. Survived with her mother and brothers. That's a whole other story.

Stateroom…..

I’m not sure which power socket is the most efficient for me to use…. I have a multi –purpose adapter…. Maybe someone can tell me… there are two outlets for rectangular prongs and 2 with round prongs…....

The most efficient will be the one for which the transformer/converter function is not needed. If everything you are plugging in works on either 120V or 240V, then it doesn't matter.

Heading back to Legend.

Mission accomplished.

What an extraordinary, depressing yet uplifting day. Well worth the travelling time. My guide is exceptional and will post all details in due course. Awesome drive and tour.

And I spat on the ground over where Hitler's bunker was. Result.

Thank you Linda for another "Live" blog. Someday I hope to do this itinerary. May I ask which cabin # you are in? Is it an "I" category?

I'm sorry to hear that they don't have a route map on the TV. Our Rhapsody cruise to Alaska didn't have it either. I really missed it! I'll be following along here with you!

I’m setting you all some homework for Thursday. I have a private transfer meeting me (no-one on the roll call wanted to share so it’s me, myself and I in the car) and a private guide in Berlin. I’d like you to read this article if you have time. The 94 year old is my cousin <snip>

Oh, Linda. I just read the article, aloud, to my husband, and I had a very difficult time reading for the closed throat I had, tears shed and unshed. Thank you for sharing.

What an emotional trip you had today. And I expect that Riga will likewise be very emotional. Sending virtual love and hugs.

Best wishes, travel safely.

On a part without speed limit 120 kph isn't considered flying. ;)

Back on board and will head to D lounge for some grape based sustenance. 130kph except when we encountered torrential rain.

The most efficient will be the one for which the transformer/converter function is not needed. If everything you are plugging in works on either 120V or 240V, then it doesn't matter.

Thanks Bob!

All aboard was 9pm. Currently 1120pm and we are still in port. No idea why.

Clocks go forward an hour tonight Nancy has called to tell me. No mention at dinner. It's on the front page of the Compass.

M&M tomorrow. They changed the time and venue from that on the original list. Then again changed the time.

Observation : lifts don't have what is on each deck. You need to know before you board. Each deck then lights up in turn as you go through.

Still writing today up.

Another observation. My room phone has no clock. At least I can get a wake up call if needed. Did not bring travel alarm clock.

ETA : been to Guest Services. We are still in port due to high winds.

Edited by NorbertsNiece

Another observation. My room phone has no clock. At least I can get a wake up call if needed. Did not bring travel alarm clock.

ETA : been to Guest Services. We are still in port due to high winds.

My wife uses her cell phone in airplane mode as the clock.

I take a bus from the hotel and visit the Synagogue.

WP_000943.jpg

It's closed.

WP_000947.jpg

Walking back a lovely flower shop

WP_000948.jpg

Stroget is waking up. Someone is being ticketed.

WP_000949.jpg

McD's sells bagels!

WP_000951.jpg

How to get your chidren to school.....

WP_000952.jpg