Informal night was misunderstood by most.

gonnago

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Now I am not suggesting that it is ok to wear jeans on formal night, but the culture has changed and more casual clothes are widely accepted.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are correct, the culture has changed with regard to what is considered "ok" for wear on various formal and semi-formal occasions. For example, I watched the procession of people going through the capital Rotunda to view the Late President Reagan's body as he lay in state, and I must say that what some people believed acceptable for paying their "last respects" to a President left MUCH to be desired. Yes, things have changed ... and, in my opinion, not always "for the better."

Do I really "care" what other people wear? No, I don't, but that doesn't mean that I don't notice how they dress and the lack of respect which they show to their fellow passengers and the Cruise Line. Frankly, I just don't want to be picked on and called "an old fuddy" or an "elitist" simply because I prefer to respect my hosts' wishes and dress according to the published code.

My word ... I CAN'T be an "elitist!" I usually book an inside cabin!!!!!! icon_wink.gif

Greg+

Maasdam: Western Caribbean Cruise Pictures

Volendam: Wayfarer Cruise Pictures and Video

Statendam: Hawaii Cruise Pictures and Video

Volendam: Alaska Inside Passage Cruise Pictures

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0924ff&cdt=2004;09;25;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-1000

Until Departure on the MS Zaandam, Panama Canal

<center>

<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">

time98.gif</center>

I don't think it will be long before all dress rules are done away with. Young (and many older) people are not happy to HAVE to dress up on vacation UNLESS they want to. Being clean and neat should be the only requirement. I've never understood how what another person is wearing has any influence on my enjoyment of an event.

Well, if you don't like dressing up, then don't take a cruise. It's different than being at home and going to work, so don't compare it with that. While many may think that dressing for dinner is anachronistic, it's still very much a part of cruising tradition. If a cruise line wishes to preserve that, so be it. If someone doesn't want to observe it, then go where you'll be more comfortable.

'Vegas Jim

I have a question. I enjoy dressing up and I don't mind wearing coats at all. However, I often get really hot in the dining room on ships. I think it's a combination of too much wine,eating too much, and the room not being cool enough for me. The ladies are usually cold because their clothing is much less robust than the mens wear. I would be much more comfortable if I could remove my coat on occasion. How unacceptable is this? I always wear long-sleeved shirts with coats. I'm just curious what others think.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by revneal:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Now I am not suggesting that it is ok to wear jeans on formal night, but the culture has changed and more casual clothes are widely accepted.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are correct, the culture _has_ changed with regard to what is considered "ok" for wear on various formal and semi-formal occasions. For example, I watched the procession of people going through the capital Rotunda to view the Late President Reagan's body as he lay in state, and I must say that what some people believed acceptable for paying their "last respects" to a President left MUCH to be desired. Yes, things have changed ... and, in my opinion, not always "for the better."

Do I really "care" what other people wear? No, I don't, but that doesn't mean that I don't notice how they dress and the lack of respect which they show to their fellow passengers and the Cruise Line. <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My word ... I CAN'T be an "elitist!" I usually book an inside cabin!!!!!! icon_wink.gif

Greg+

http://www.revneal.org/wcaribbcruise.html

http://www.revneal.org/volcruise1.html

http://www.revneal.org/hawaiicruise/hawaii.html

http://www.revneal.org/alaska03embark.html

http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0924ff&cdt=2004;09;25;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-1000

<center>

time98.gif</center><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dave & Marcia

R.E.D.I.S.

(Retired, Every Day Is Saturday)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Well, if you don't like dressing up, then don't take a cruise<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, there is a well thought out solution. icon_rolleyes.gif And you are right, it is different than being at home or being at work.... its a vacation! Dressing up may be a cruising tradition and a couple of formal nights are fine and dandy with me, but things are changing... freestyle, Personal choice, etc. are going to be the rule rather than the exception. I don't think it will be long before the often maligned informal night is a thing of the past on the majority of main stream cruise lines. I for one will be leaving my blazers and sports coats at home....

Future Cruises:

- 6/27/04 Sapphire Princess

- 12/12/04 Oosterdam

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I would be much more comfortable if I could remove my coat on occasion. How unacceptable is this? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's an EXCELLENT question. I'm with you in that I frequently find myself getting too hot in the dining room. In general, I've not taken my jacket off because I don't relish the thought of people seeing my back SOAKED with sweat. Once I went back to the cabin and changed undershirts and dress shirts (putting on fresh undershirt and dress shirt) after dinner so that I didn't have to walk around soaking wet.

However, on informal nights I HAVE taken off my jacket on occasion when I've worn a colored shirt that doesn't show the sweat so much. Usually, it hasn't been a problem, but once when I took it off -- on the Rotterdam V a bunch of years ago -- I was quietly reminded that I was supposed to wear the jacket the entire evening. I responded back that I was burning up, and the supervisor went away and, almost immediately, I felt a lovely cool wave of air hit me. He then came back and asked if that was better, I said it was, and put my jacket back on. icon_smile.gif

Frankly, today I wouldn't worry about it ... I doubt they'd say anything (except, perhaps, on the Statendam, where it appears they still enforce the code).

Greg+

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0924ff&cdt=2004;09;25;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-1000

<center>

time98.gif</center>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Dressing up may be a cruising tradition and a couple of formal nights are fine and dandy with me, but things are changing... freestyle, Personal choice, etc. are going to be the rule rather than the exception. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is there some reason why every "main stream" cruise line must be just like every other line? Why can't we have a bunch of DIFFERENT lines that cater to the likes and dislikes of different demographics and groups? Why can't NCL, Princess, CCL, and RCCL each do things their own particular ways -- "freestyle, Personal Choice, etc" -- and Cunard, HAL, and others can do things their own particular ways: i.e, variations of the more "traditional" fare. That way, we can all have our cake and eat it too?

In other words, why must we traditionalists always give way to the "new and improved" ways of doing things?

Greg+

<center>

time98.gif</center>

No, there is no reason they all need to be the same, but I am not making this stuff up. Just look at what is going on in the industry and you will see that it won't be long before "traditional" dining is largely a thing of the past. Multiple smaller dining rooms and flexible dining times are becoming more the norm on most new-builds. Heck, even HAL has recently switched to 4 dinner seatings to accomodate those who want a more flexible dining experience. More and more people don't want to be told when and where to eat. They want choice and flexibility and the cruise lines are offering that.

Future Cruises:

- 12/12/04 Oosterdam

I find the 'informal' night conversation interesting.

I hate packing extra but I'll squeeze in a sport coat and a extra shirt.

Frankly I am a 'warm' person, and don't feel comfortable wearing coats, and wouldn't consider wearing it the rest of the evening.

I wear a suit to formal dinners, but have never worn my sport coat and I've had it 10 years. (My wife insisted I get at least one, but it just isn't something folks my age wear)

I was expecting the same thread as Princess or RCI boards decrying barbarians wearing shorts or jeans to the dining room (which I agree with), instead I find the old HAL standard of what 'informal' is, and 'wear formal and informal all night' is one most my age(40) would find uncomfortable if held to strictly.

I don't go on vacations to be uncomfortable, and don't think many others do either.

(BigDave waits for the shells to start landing)

BigDave

Enchantment 10/2002, Rhapsody 4/2004.

Caribbean Princess, E Carib. 11/27/2004 countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=22AA22&cdt=2004;11;27;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

HAL Oosterdam, E Carib. 1/2/2005 countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=22AA22&cdt=2005;1;2;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Valor, W. Carib. 2/6/2005, Radiance, E. Carib 2/13/2005 countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=22AA22&cdt=2005;2;6;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Rev. Neal,

(I have not been on HAL yet this is totally based on reviews and feedback from people on the board, and observation of pricing patterns)

HAL can stay the way they are, but they'd have to keep fewer ships, and charge a lot more.

Since the competition would be charging less and giving a good if different experience they would loose even more passengers to them.

They are in a difficult space, they've enlarged their fleet, but they have a hard time filling them compared to other lines.

That’s why their price is dropping, and they are making changes to service, and how staff is paid.

Their current ‘street’ price, which is influenced by how hard it is to fill their ships, puts them close to Carnivals price point, and below RCI and Princess.

If you don't have the money coming in, you can't provide more expensive premium service.

This is a difficult time; they are trying to keep their current passengers happy while figuring out how not to antagonize new ones.

I’m sure they have a plan, maybe after getting the staterooms refreshed, and the staff used to the new system they’ll do more to shift the lines experience back to premium.

I’ll be interested in watching how it works out.

BigDave

Enchantment 10/2002, Rhapsody 4/2004.

Caribbean Princess, E Carib. 11/27/2004 countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=22AA22&cdt=2004;11;27;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

HAL Oosterdam, E Carib. 1/2/2005 countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=22AA22&cdt=2005;1;2;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Valor, W. Carib. 2/6/2005, Radiance, E. Carib 2/13/2005 countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=22AA22&cdt=2005;2;6;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BigDave:

Frankly I am a 'warm' person, and don't feel comfortable wearing coats, and wouldn't consider wearing it the rest of the evening.

I wear a suit to formal dinners, but have never worn my sport coat and I've had it 10 years. (My wife insisted I get at least one, but it just isn't something folks my age wear)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have the same issues but have found a solution in the type of garments I buy. A light, summer weight, wool suit jacket is easy to pack, looks sharp and is tolerable in the Caribbean and absolutely heavenly in the northern lattitudes. Dressing this up with a tuxedo shirt, bow ties and suspenders makes in formal night acceptable, from my viewings of the pictures we've taken.

Otherwise, I wear a light linen sport jacket, which is very breathable, on "informal" nights.

Also, if entering the dining room and noticing it to be warm, I ask the maitre d' or our server if they could perhaps adjust the temperature slightly downward. I've become adept at finding AC vents and requesting a table change if possible.

Gotta be comfortable to enjoy all that great cruise cuisine icon_smile.gif

Pat

A few things I don't understand.

1) What ships are these people on who are warm in the dining room? I never wear short sleeve shirts at night on a cruise (next will be my 14th) because it is too cold. My wife always carries a wrap with her.

2) Why are so many people uncomfortable in a sport coat or a suit?

3) Do these people read the dress codes provided by every cruise line in their brochures and web sites?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Is there some reason why every "main stream" cruise line must be just like every other line? Why can't we have a bunch of DIFFERENT lines that cater to the likes and dislikes of different demographics and groups? Why can't NCL, Princess, CCL, and RCCL each do things their own particular ways -- "freestyle, Personal Choice, etc" -- and Cunard, HAL, and others can do things their own particular ways: i.e, variations of the more "traditional" fare. That way, we can all have our cake and eat it too? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Revneal - that makes the assumption that people chose lines based strictly on these things. Perhaps some people prefer the spaciousness of HAL ships, or the artwork on board, but don't like dressing up. What do they do. I wanted to cruise out of Norfolk to the Caribbean. I had a choice of HAL, or HAL. So I chose HAL. Consider all the choices that we make when choosing a cruise; the size of the ship, the itinerary, the departure port, price, dining room or freestyle, entertainment, etc. there could never be enough cruise lines/ships to meet everyone's taste. So you wind up with people choosing HAL for many reasons, but they still may not enjoy dressing up. Does that mean that they go somewhere else?

1/1990 - RCCL Song of America
4/13/2003 - Carnival Inspiration
10/30/2004 - Maasdam

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0924ff&cdt=2004;10;30;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0400[/img]
Till sailing on the Maasdam

That's the irony in this discussion. HAL provides free alternate dining even going out of their way putting tablecoths out on the Lido so those passengers that choose not to partake of the evening dress code restrictions can dine in their comfortable casuals on formal or informal nights enjoying the same food, yet HAL allows these same passengers into the dining room far from the dress code suggestions. We can call names, stereotypes,
or class of people all we want but the buck stops at the HAL dining room door. If they see fit to allow total ignorance of their own dress code there is nothing the long time Mariners can do about it. You would think people today would just know what is proper and what is not. I looked pretty hard and I didn't see not one Aloha shirt at the Reagan funeral on TV. And I bet not one of those people in attendance had to be told to wear a suit or dressy clothes. Dressing up on a cruise has always been the tradition just as it is on a formal state funeral or other black tie affair. I guess we can blame Disney for starting the new trend of "be yourself" when on a cruise vacation. But you know what, even Disney when they decided to go to the 7 day cruise added a formal night. They knew to keep some tradition in their cruise. This topic is about informal night and how it is misunderstood.
It is misunderstood by many. Too many in fact that it is now a majority that "miss the boat" when it comes to dressing properly for informal nights. I don't see the reason to have it anyway since it's no longer a special night in cruising. So HAL if you are reading this thread, drop the informal thing or start enforcing it. I'll be happy either way but please don't allow it to be an embarrsing joke like it is now.

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2003;07;19;13;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
Till we sail on the Zuiderdam

Til we sail on the Mariner of The Seas RCL
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=808000&cdt=2004;3;7;12;01;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
until we sail on the Disney Wonder
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2003;10;09;12;01;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
til we sail the ms Maasdam
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=808000&cdt=2004;05;29;11;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

Yes I read and understand the dress code... I just choose to ignore HAL's uninforced defination of informal. I have been on 15 cruises and have never once been questioned for not wearing a jacket on informal nights. I certainly wouldn't think of not dressing appropriately on formal nights however and I do respect the formal dress for the entire evening.

Frankly, eating in the lido or in the cabin for dinner for lack of a sport coat on informal night is not an acceptable solution. They are ok for breakfast and lunch, but if I wanted to eat dinner in a buffet line I could do so back home.

If HAL is going to compete in the 7 day mainstream cruise market they are going to have to continue to change with the industry. Maybe the longer and more exotic itineraries will stay more formal, but the shorter 7 day caribbean itineraries are going to be more casual just based on the younger crowd they are trying to attract with the vista ships.

Future Cruises:
- 12/12/04 Oosterdam

I've often wondered if people actually do eat on the Lido on formal nights and wonder why they would. I will go up to the Lido after eating first seating to see who it is that eats up there and when I see them in person I understand the why they are doing it. For some it is the dress codes, others it maybe they know they brought "unruly" children or babies on board, while the most like that "all you can get on your plate with no wait for 2nds" feature. They may have tried the main dining room only to find the small portions and the lack of not knowing you can ask for more went away hungry.

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2003;07;19;13;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=808000&cdt=2004;3;7;12;01;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2003;10;09;12;01;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=808000&cdt=2004;05;29;11;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> They may have tried the main dining room only to find the small portions and the lack of not knowing you can ask for more went away hungry. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Went away hungry on a cruise ship? [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

1/1990 - RCCL Song of America
4/13/2003 - Carnival Inspiration
10/30/2004 - Maasdam

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0924ff&cdt=2004;10;30;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0400[/img]
Till sailing on the Maasdam

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by F5Loar:
I've often wondered if people actually do eat on the Lido on formal nights and wonder why they would. I will go up to the Lido after eating first seating to see who it is that eats up there and when I see them in person I understand the why they are doing it. For some it is the dress codes, others it maybe they know they brought "unruly" children or babies on board, while the most like that "all you can get on your plate with no wait for 2nds" feature. They may have tried the main dining room only to find the small portions and the lack of not knowing you can ask for more went away hungry.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
We ate in the Lido the last night of our cruise because, quite simply, the food was better there. It was HOT, instead of lukewarm. It was cooked to order for you, so lamb chops came out medium rare, as requested, instead of dark brown and dried out throughout.

The freshly-tossed caesar salad in the Lido far surpassed all of the uninspired salads served in the dining room. You could choose your main course accompaniments in the Lido, so if you wanted a second vegetable instead of a starch you could ask and they would do it for you. You also could eat when YOU wanted to, not when THEY wanted you to.

Lastly, there was no silliness like the baked Alaska parade, accompanied by a cruise director bellowing a narrative at the top of her lungs. And they wanted people to wear tuxes for this? If "tradition" is having the cruise director playing cheerleader in the dining room on what is supposed to be an elegant "formal" night, you can have tradition, folks. Where's Renaissance, where the PA system was blessedly silent from beginning to end?

Hotspur - I am interested in knowing more about the Lido dining on the Maasdam. Is it buffet, or do you order off menu? Thanks so much.

By the way, have been enjoying your posts this week [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img].

Marie

HAL - MAASDAM - June 2004/Canada/New England
RCI - Mariner of the Seas,
Sept 2004(CC Group Cruise)
RCI - Rhapsody of the Seas
October 2004

RCI Majesty of the Seas - Spring Break, March 2005
Celebrity Mercury, April 2005
Caribbean Princess, Sept 2005
(CC Group Cruise)

Ah! no Baked Alaska parade but do you get to eat Baked Alaska on the Lido? I've heard items like escargo, lobster tails are not served at dinner time on the Lido. Is this true or myth?
While many things like soups,salads,vegs, are the same they don't have all the things from the menu. I will admit the salads were quite whimpy in size and taste on the Maasdam. I was wondering if my waiter had put me a diet when I saw the portion of the salads. It use to be tradition that on the last night of the cruise the Lido was full of those choosing to excerise
the "No tip required" policy. I guess the new "all tips created equal and added to your bill for convience" policy stopped that last night rush on the Lido.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Giorgi-one:
A few things I don't understand.

1) What ships are these people on who are warm in the dining room? I never wear short sleeve shirts at night on a cruise (next will be my 14th) because it is too cold. My wife always carries a wrap with her.

2) Why are so many people uncomfortable in a sport coat or a suit?

3) Do these people read the dress codes provided by every cruise line in their brochures and web sites?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1. I've only been on 3 cruises, first on Norway (Caribbean), second on HAL (Alaska) and third on Princess (transat); of the three, Princess was the most comfortable (in the dining rooms and public spaces) for me. You must understand that everyone is different when it comes to temperature. I can work outside in freezing weather in short sleeves (actually I do) but hot weather or heavy clothing in warm climates (even in places with normal AC) makes me sweat. I'm assuming BigDave is similar. It's just how we're made, and generally has nothing to do with size.

2. Psychologically, likely relates to the above. We tend to avoid unpleasant things. I was uncomfortable for years before finally hooking up with a couple of brands of dress clothes which work for me. Now I look forward to putting on a suit/sport coat, even in warmer weather. Just did, last weekend, for a wedding. Hardly broke a sweat [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img], except on the dance floor.

3. Yes, I do and imagine others do as well. For myself, a dress code perusal is usually not necessary as I've traveled/entertained enough to have a sense of what's appropriate. I wear engineer-style coveralls (usually grease/machine oil covered) every day so I look forward to looking markedly different, no matter the excuse [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Whether others form an opinion of me by my level of dress, I know not. I only can say that I don't judge others by their clothes. Occasionally, by body odor [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Pat

Archived