WiFi on Cruise Ships

sartoken

Yes, very expensive and very slow, and it varies dramatically by ship as to where you can get it. Sitting at the dock in Victoria last year (on the Norwegian Sun), I was trying to get some small photos to load for my blog about the trip - after spending over $20 in ship charges with no success, I went down to the dockside visitor center and within 5-6 minutes had them loaded for free.

I haven't been on a modern cruise ship that it wasn't available. However, there is a charge for it, you can purchase minute packages and it is often slower than the old dial up service. You need to follow their log off procedures very carefully as if you don't you can chew through your package very quickly.

Never been on a cruise ship, and planning on doing an Alaska cruise later this fall. Sorry, if this seems like a really stupid question.

Since you have never been on a cruise ship, let me warn you about other things, like using your cell phone while at sea. Any call you make or receive while the ship is cruising will be charged at some astronomical rate, whatever the cruise line charges to use their ship's tower. (usually around $2.50 per minute). When you are in port the ship's tower is turned off so you can call as normal, but when cruising, either put your phone in airplane mode, or turn it off completely.

My friend, who is an attorney, forgot to turn his phone off when he cruised Alaska last year and returned to meet a $1500 phone bill.

Cheers

Len

When in Alaska, though, there is wifi at all of the US ports. Just remember to put your phone back on airplane mode when you get back on the ship. Had no problem checking emails and making calls from each port.

There is never a charge to use WiFi, there is however a charge to access internet via WiFi or via a pc in the internet cafe.

What would you use the ship's wifi for except to access the Internet?? Okay, you can use it to access the ship's printer, which also has a charge.