St Kitts???

brandy1175

You can just about always get a tour of the island just getting out of the port area through many tour guides. My family liked to get a tour of each island so you can actually see what it is like. You usually have time when you come back if you really want to shop! If you are real ambitious we just did a hike up Mt Liaumigia with Poinciana tours in April (a 6 hr tour with 3 hours of hiking!)

We did Thenford grey and loved it! Totally personal service and tailored our day to what we were looking for. Only 25.00 per person! Sight seeing and beach time! Can't beat it!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The shopping area where the ship docks is fairly typical of other Caribbean ports and felt safe as long as you don't mind monkeys. There are many locals with monkeys who will try to get them to sit on your shoulder and expect a tip for this. They can be pretty aggressive.

Maybe it was watching "The Wizard of Oz" too many times as a kid, but I am terrified of those little varmints and had no interest in having one near me, much less paying for this privilege! Still makes me laugh thinking of our last stop there ~ DH, DD and DD's boyfriend formed a "human shield" to keep them away from me. (Not so much to be nice, more that they were embarrassed by my screaming and carrying on!)

Another endorsement for Grey's Tours! We thought he was awesome, and we got to see all the highlights of the island plus beach time

Yet another vote for Thenford Grey. Fabulous day of touring.

As for the shopping area at the dock:

I would rate it a 3 on a 1-10 scale, just as bad as Falmouth. It is fake, it is created for the cruise ship passengers, and it is fake. Did I mention that it's fake?

Also, about the monkeys: the people-in-the-know ask that you NOT "patronize" the guys who have monkeys there and ask for money to have your picture taken with them. There are real animal welfare agencies that are actually looking after the well-being of these creatures, and these picture guys are NOT!

Edited by Merion_Mom

• 3 months later...
Another endorsement for Grey's Tours! We thought he was awesome, and we got to see all the highlights of the island plus beach time

Donna - which beach did they take you to? We are going to be with them next week.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have ridden the ferry to get to a family house on Nevis. You can do a day pass at Marriott on Kitts and then the 4 Seasons on Nevis and I don't know if they have offer day pass. Forget if the ferries were really reliable.

Here is a link to the ferries and contact info. http://www.discover-stkitts-nevis-beaches.com/st-kitts-nevis-ferry-schedule.html

Definitely take and island tour. Thenford Gray, Jim and Rose or Royston are all good options. There are others.

Let me explain that I am someone who typically steers clear of island tours. Any tour with a description of "first you board your bus/van..." sounds like TOO MUCH sitting and driving, just looking out a window!

But St. Kitts is an amazingly beautiful island. I've been on two of my cruises and both times found that my most GORGEOUS photos were from THAT port of call.

The highlights are fairly spread out, so you HAVE to do an island tour to see them. And it's SO worth it.

On my most recent cruise I toured with Royston and it was amazing! I very highly recommend. He will alter the tour to your preferences and he's a charming host. I saw things I'm sure other tours would not have visited.

St. Kitts has become one of my favorite ports of call. See as much of it as you can. The cruise-line centered souvenir shops near the pier are the same ones you'll find at every other pier. How many Diamonds International do you really need to visit on one cruise? Get away from the pier. See the island. I promise you, you will NOT be sorry!

Edited by printingchick

We were there 2 years ago and it was a beautiful island. We did one of the bus tours from the ship and saw many island highlights. When we finished with our tour the bus driver advised us not walk around alone beyond the dock shopping area. He said it is not very safe.

We did the train ride which I enjoyed and then a catamaran back to dock. Do beware of the monkeys with men who are very aggressive in offering to take your picture and then charge you to give you your camera back. When we went in 2012, the only way to go on train was with Royal - they book up the train port days!

Have you looked at the St. Kitts forum under Ports - Caribbean? There you will find more info.

We did the zip line and it was so beautiful! Five long lines, high above the beautiful ocean and Caribbean greenery. Breathtaking!!

I'm in my 60's and was not the oldest one on the lines. If you haven't zip lined, this is the time to cross it off your bucket list. You will be done early enough to shop lots around the port and have pictures with the monkeys.

You should go to the High Court House and ask SGT. Wayne for a tour. It is found on the right side of Independence Square. Very interesting and He is a very nice guy and bring a few pins with you as He collects them.

It is a great place to visit and we can hardly wait for our return to the Island.

Has anybody tried to go across to Nevis for the day? We have been to St Kitts three times previously and 'done' the tours so are looking at an alternative this time..........

Haven't done it, but my taxi driver last time raved about Nevis. She said "she" (the island) has soft sand and clear water. Her eyes went misty and I think I heard ukuleles in the background.