Lobster

STUR

Don't get your hopes up. The lobster served isn't sweet Maine lobster, but rather the rock lobster which tends to be dry and rubbery. In my experience, it's just not getting excited over something that can be found in the frozen seafood section of any grocery store and tastes about the same.

Don't get your hopes up. The lobster served isn't sweet Maine lobster, but rather the rock lobster which tends to be dry and rubbery. In my experience, it's just not getting excited over something that can be found in the frozen seafood section of any grocery store and tastes about the same.

And it's not steamed, it's baked.

DH, who is a great lover of lobster, says it stinks - too dry and tasteless.

Way back when....1998/1999/2000 we had GOOD lobster on DCL. Then it became just not nice. We thought it was our perception till we learned about the difference in types of lobsters. DCL definitely doesn't serve the good stuff.

And DF is correct--the chefs go thru the available assortment and the best go to Palo for that night.

Since they went to these "rock lobsters," the best lobster we've seen is on Serenity Bay where one sometimes finds lobster burgers (since Castaway is typically the day after Captain's Gala, they use the leftovers in creative ways!)

It is baked Caribbean/Warm water lobster tail, but we found it wonderful. Much better than other lines, IMO.

It is served in tail, and the Head Waiter, or someone, will remove the tail for you. :)

I found the whole experience wonderful. Not sure what everyone else is barking about. :rolleyes:

We are talking DCL , Oui ?

Of course, obviously, YMMV. And barking parameters do vary, obviously. :cool

ETA; And most barking is respected, if retained within the Tail. :p

Edited by bear3412

It is baked Caribbean/Warm water lobster tail, but we found it wonderful. Much better than other lines, IMO.

It is served in tail, and the Head Waiter, or someone, will remove the tail for you. :)

I found the whole experience wonderful. Not sure what everyone else is barking about. :rolleyes:

We are talking DCL , Oui ?

Of course, obviously, YMMV. And barking parameters do vary, obviously. :cool

ETA; And most barking is respected, if retained within the Tail. :p

In my experience the lobster on DCL was no different than the lobster on any other line. It's all frozen, and I don't get particularly excited about having someone remove it from the tail--I am quite capable of doing that myself. To me, and this is my opinion, there was no "experience" involved. The only dining "experience" we have had on DCL was Remy. I wouldn't even count Palo as an experience. It was nice and we would certainly do it again, but it was far from what I would consider an experience.

In my experience the lobster on DCL was no different than the lobster on any other line. It's all frozen, and I don't get particularly excited about having someone remove it from the tail--I am quite capable of doing that myself. To me, and this is my opinion, there was no "experience" involved. The only dining "experience" we have had on DCL was Remy. I wouldn't even count Palo as an experience. It was nice and we would certainly do it again, but it was far from what I would consider an experience.

I think maybe some get excited about the lobster because either they love it, or as I, have never tried it, and given the ability to order it and get something else if you do not, is something to get excited about.

Again I would not know how to properly remove it from the tail.

You have to remember Ducklite that not everyone cruises as frequently as you do, nor does everyone have the budget to try food such as lobster which it a high priced item on most land restaurant menu's only to find they do not like it and still have to pay, and then buy something they do like on top.

That is the great part of eating on a cruise, order it, try it and if you do not like it, order something else.

(not that I advocate wasting food)

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

The answer is yes...

That said, as you see, perceptions vary. If you live within fresh distance of Maine for example, which I do, or have access to a restaurant that prepares live lobster, you probably will be a bit disappointed in the Disney version, which as noted by necessity is frozen and mass prepared.

If you have not had fresh, you may find it quite good.

It's not a high quality lobster product, given the current pricing, there is no way it could be. But that doesn't mean it's bad.

The answer is yes...

That said, as you see, perceptions vary. If you live within fresh distance of Maine for example, which I do, or have access to a restaurant that prepares live lobster, you probably will be a bit disappointed in the Disney version, which as noted by necessity is frozen and mass prepared.

It's not a high quality lobster product, given the current pricing, there is no way it could be. But that doesn't mean it's bad.

Too true! :)

ex techie

I think maybe some get excited about the lobster because either they love it, or as I, have never tried it, and given the ability to order it and get something else if you do not, is something to get excited about.

Again I would not know how to properly remove it from the tail.

You have to remember Ducklite that not everyone cruises as frequently as you do, nor does everyone have the budget to try food such as lobster which it a high priced item on most land restaurant menu's only to find they do not like it and still have to pay, and then buy something they do like on top.

That is the great part of eating on a cruise, order it, try it and if you do not like it, order something else.

(not that I advocate wasting food)

ex techie

Once you see it removed from the tail (it's really not an "experience," I promise!--you simply slice the end of the meat where it connects to the shell and pull it out) you will understand why I can't see getting excited over it.

You can buy frozen lobster tails just like DCL uses in any grocery store and bake or broil them yourself and get the same product for $6-8 a tail. The frozen warm water lobster tails aren't prohibitively expensive by any means.

Compared to many in these boards, I don't cruise often at all.

PS--I rarely if ever order lobster from a restaurant, it is simply not worth the price. The exception is if I am in Coastal New England and can get lobstah from a shack. Now that's living! (And not expensive.)

The answer is yes...

I agree with everything you've said. I wouldn't call it bad, I just don't think it's worth getting excited about.