Skagway train ?

jsf

Does anyone know why on the Bennett tour on Tuesday's we have to take a bus up and train back? Doesn't the train have to come back to Skagway on Monday afternoon?

J.

Does anyone know why on the Bennett tour on Tuesday's we have to take a bus up and train back? Doesn't the train have to come back to Skagway on Monday afternoon?

J.

No, that train goes up one day and back the next. IIRC, it only runs 6 days a week, so it makes an even number of trips per week. 3 full round-trips in 6 days and one day off. We did the tour with bus up and train back and enjoyed it very much. I might have a slight preference to do it the other way around, if I had a choice, but I wouldn't have skipped it just because it was going the "wrong" way when we were there.

On Wednesday, Thursday & Saturday, the tour operates train leg first with bus leg second. On Tuesday & Friday, the tour operates bus leg first with train leg second The train does not run on Sunday or Monday. So Sat up, Tue back, Wed up, Thur up, Fri back - somehow they either return the train Wed nite - or they run an extra train up Thur. I do know that on the up mountain trips they also carry several cars of people going to Fraser and they often leave them there for other trains to return.

It really does not matter which way you ride the train between Carcross and Skagway - both ways go through and have lunch in Bennett. BTW the only way to see Bennett is on the train. Bennett is the point where the White Pass and the Chilkoot trails both end and where the single trail to the Yukon gold territory begins. The ride around the lake is also quite nice and scenic.

Edited by bonvoyagie

no idea, but I decided to rent a car and drive up to Emerald Lake instead since we're doing the AK RR in Seward.

For general information on the White Pass RR, it is absolutely not comparable to the Alaska RR. For those with the interest in history, narrow gage and superior scenery, the White Pass RR is not to be missed.

J.

As already mentioned, this train only runs ONE direction per day.