getting to Mendenhall Glacier - city bus vs. glacier shuttle

SparkleBee

I was reading a thread where someone questioned the sanity of taking the city bus to the glacier as opposed to the shuttle. I thank that person for bringing up the issue but I would like some other input.

the city bus for me and my 2 kids would be $8 vs. $60 for shuttle round trip.

it seems like the city bus takes about a half hour but necessitates an additional 15 minute walk to the visitor center. so 45 minutes vs. maybe 25 on the shuttle (I don't know, am guessing). Assuming you have to wait equal amounts of time for either choice (again I don't know) it seems like the city bus takes an extra 40 minutes total round trip.

Saving $52 for a cost of 40 minutes doesn't sound too bad.

Maybe what sounds best is sharing the cost of a taxi... it's only 14 miles!

What sounds best to me is a rental car. Probably about the same price as the $60 for the shuttle, but it gives you a ton more flexibility. You can include other interesting stops like the Shrine of St. Therese church, driving out the road past Auke Bay, maybe driving to Douglas Island or south of Juneau along the water.

If the city bus works best for your budget and time frame, don't worry about other people's comments.

It's about a mile to walk, so about 20-25 minutes each way. Easily do-able on a nice day, not so pleasant if it's cold, wet and windy. But be sure to check the schedule on-line; things change for weekends, holidays, etc. You don't want to be stranded. If the schedule doesn't work you could consider bus one-way, shuttle back.

After much research, we also decided to rent a car in Juneau, drive to the Shrine, and Mendenhall Glacier! We will have plenty of time to drive around and explore! We leave for Alaska on Monday, June 23rd, so we are very excited!!

I was reading a thread where someone questioned the sanity of taking the city bus to the glacier as opposed to the shuttle. I thank that person for bringing up the issue but I would like some other input.

the city bus for me and my 2 kids would be $8 vs. $60 for shuttle round trip.

it seems like the city bus takes about a half hour but necessitates an additional 15 minute walk to the visitor center. so 45 minutes vs. maybe 25 on the shuttle (I don't know, am guessing). Assuming you have to wait equal amounts of time for either choice (again I don't know) it seems like the city bus takes an extra 40 minutes total round trip.

Saving $52 for a cost of 40 minutes doesn't sound too bad.

Maybe what sounds best is sharing the cost of a taxi... it's only 14 miles!

Just for general information- the city bus, can take about an hour to get to Mendenhall, not the 30 minutes listed above. It's slow going, and makes numerous stops. The shuttle bus, takes 20 minutes, point to point.

For those, with this being their intended plan, it certain can work out well.

The couple of times we went to Mendenhall on our own we used the Blue Bus -- loved the idea that we could stay as long as we wanted out at the glacier. Not tied down to a schedule like the ships offer.

Is it a city bus or a shuttle? How far from the port and how much? Sorry for a dumb questions. We are from Florida and first time thinking going to Alaska, checking all options.

the "blue bus" is the glacier shuttle. I think there is also a white one. it costs $20 RT. it's picked up quite close to the port from my understanding.

the city bus seems like not a great choice, although it's super cheap. not picked up at the port.

I'm sure each cruise line also offers "tours" to get you to the glacier. No idea how much but then you are locked into their schedule.

renting a car and doing it on your own is another option.

After reading this thread I went and looked up the cost for a rental car when we are there in June 2015. $35 with Avis. BOOM. Done. I am so happy - the cost for our little family of four for the bus and back would have been $80 and now we have freedom to spend the whole day tootling around. Very excited!

So - note to others - definitely check out rental cars!

Is it a city bus or a shuttle? How far from the port and how much? Sorry for a dumb questions. We are from Florida and first time thinking going to Alaska, checking all options.

Shuttle buses are point to point, taking 20 minutes. Pick up is at the tram parking lot, walkable with no mobility limitations from all the docks, with it also being the AJ dock shuttle drop. The city bus, is also walkable. Shuttle buses are $20 round trip, city bus is $4 round trip, exact change.

The shuttle buses are school bus types.

Well, now I feel silly for booking the tour to Mendenhall via NCL for $50(!) when it's so much cheaper via the "blue bus" or city bus. May have to cancel and change my plans (sailing in Sept). I hear a lot of people who go on the excursion feel rushed, which I definitely want to avoid. Thanks for the input everyone!

Well, now I feel silly for booking the tour to Mendenhall via NCL for $50(!) when it's so much cheaper via the "blue bus" or city bus. May have to cancel and change my plans (sailing in Sept). I hear a lot of people who go on the excursion feel rushed, which I definitely want to avoid. Thanks for the input everyone!

You are NOT on the same "tour". You have other stops included and will have commentary about Juneau. The shuttle bus is transportation only.

An alternative I recommend, IF you want an area tour included with your Juneau day, is with MGT. They have a very nice, affordable Mendenhall Glacier TOUR like I mention, the differences above.

You are NOT on the same "tour". You have other stops included and will have commentary about Juneau. The shuttle bus is transportation only.

Ohhh, interesting. Well in that case, I'll definitely just take the shuttle. I'd rather make the most of my time at the glacier and tour other attractions/stops if I have time afterward. Thanks again!

The car rental option sounds good to me - one question though: where would you pick up the rental car, vis-à-vis where the ship is located?

I was just looking at Avis for Juneau; seems they run out of the Goldbelt Hotel, which looks to be about 1/3 of a mile from the cruise terminal area.

I wonder if anyone has experience renting infant car seats with their cars in Juneau?

the "blue bus" is the glacier shuttle. I think there is also a white one. it costs $20 RT. it's picked up quite close to the port from my understanding.

the city bus seems like not a great choice, although it's super cheap. not picked up at the port.

I'm sure each cruise line also offers "tours" to get you to the glacier. No idea how much but then you are locked into their schedule.

renting a car and doing it on your own is another option.

Thank you very much for your reply, and another question,(probably not the last one) - do you have to book a shuttle in advance

?