Small ship cruising review with photos on the Coral Princess II

1of4

More photos as I just couldn't take it all in, forget describing it to DH when I arrived home!

ry%3D400

View from where the ruin is. They are not sure if this was the house or part of the "factory".

ry%3D400

The ruin:

ry%3D400

I have many more but I am sure you get the idea.

While I was on my walk to Mrs. Watson's home, Beat took DD on a treasure hunt for a geo-cache. He didn't want her sitting around doing nothing! They crew took such great interest in each passenger I just can not say enough about them all. From the captain on through each and every crew member was friendly and always smiling and willing to stop and talk to explain how something worked.

We had lunch on board after having morning tea on the beach. We were making our way to Ribbon Reef number 9. Ribbon reefs are on the edge of the outer GBR...remember "the drop-off" in Nemo...yep, that is where we were going:

I took this off the web to show an areal view:

ry%3D400

From the boat you can tell you are near the edge as you can see the white waves breaking on the drop off area.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

DD wanted no part of the drop off, and to honest neither did I. But they didn't take us that close and once in the water looking at the coral I forgot all about it.

Thanks. I couldn't fathom how based on the picture. If I'm ever in the area again I want to visit.

The house is on a hill so the outdoor stairs you saw at the front of the museum don't exist at the back where the new extension was built; the back driveway is the same grade as the street. The new extension, where the cannon and anchor are, houses the elevator too.

Edited by 1of4

Did you think I got lost? Sorry. Lots to do with international visitors arriving.

But let's resume:

We were at Ribbon Reef NO.9:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

We did the glass bottom boat tour with Alice and then went snorkelling off the back of the Coral Princess II

ry%3D400

The Ribbon Reefs stretch from the eastern edge of the GBR between Lookout Point and Cape Tribulation. Separated by narrow passages, they are numbered one to ten up the coast and offer spectacular coral viewing.

DD was getting more confident in the water and would snorkel around with me just in front or just behind her but not too far away. The experience had a huge impact on her.

Back on board we showered and got ready for our dinner. Up to the Top Lounge to be with the other passengers and staff by 6:00 and to watch the sun set. There must have been rain in the area but it didn't come near us. The sea was a bit more choppy this leg, but nothing to take notice of.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Well it arrived...the final full day of this fantastic adventure.

Day 7 - Thursday April 3rd: Ribbon Reef No. 3 & Escape Reef

Sunrise 0623

Sunset 1817

Itinerary for the day:

0700 Continental and hot breakfast served in the dining room

0800 Be ready to explore the amazing Ribbon Reef No. 3. This is an outer Great Barrier Reef experience, on the edge of the continental shelf. There is also snorkelling, SCUBA and glass bottom boat tours as well.

1000 The ship shop will be open if you wish to purchase any Coral Princess merchandise or memorabilia

1100 We depart Ribbon Reef No. 3 for our next Reef destination, Escape Reef.

1230 Lunch will be served in the dining room.

1430 We arrive at Escape Reef, this is another outer Great Barrier Reef Experience, on the edge of the continental shelf. We will have plenty of time to swim, snorkel, SCUBA and go on glass bottom boat tours. Whilst there, Alice will set up a touch tank so you can get face to face with some friendly marine life.

1630 We depart Escape Reef, please return your snorkelling gear to the aft deck as we depart

1800 Please freshen up and join us in the bar for pre-dinner drinks, Alice will re-cap the day and provide an overview for tomorrow's agenda at 1845

1900 A wonderful farewell dinner will be served in the dining room. After dinner put your thinking caps on for the famous Coral Princess quiz. There are prizes on offer for the winning team. The bar will be open for drinks afterwards.

Before you retire for the evening please see Yasmin at the purser's desk to finalize your account. The bar is open until midnight for your refreshment desires.

As it turned out there was quite a wind this morning. The sun was shining but it was a bit choppy on top of the water so DD was a bit leery of not being a strong enough swimmer and getting blown off course. She is under 70 lbs afterall so we spoke to Alice and she agrees that it may not be a good idea for her to go in the water. She checked with Captain Nathan who confirmed the conditions would be better at Escape Reef so DD and I took the glass bottom boat tour and stayed aboard. I started packing up while others were snorkeling.

Beat was so upset to hear that DD would not get to see the reef that he got permission from the captain to do diving with her camera so she wouldn't miss any of it. That was a perfect example of how far the crew will go for their passengers.

I don't have too many photos so I will include these. 1 week after we left The Coral Princess II cyclone Ita hit Lizard Island the Cooktown:

ry%3D400

These are from the Brisbane newspaper so they show how the cyclone is affecting their area:

ry%3D400

I can say that when we flew home on April 16 from Brisbane, it shortened our trip from 13 hours to 11 hours.

Apparently Lizard Island was hit hard.

ry%3D400

Since I didn't go snorkelling I found some photos on the web of what we would have seen at Ribbon Reef No. 3. These are much better than the photos I could have taken anyway....

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Ruth this is for you. The James Cook Museum in Cooktown is built on a slope so the front of the house is higher than the back of the house. You can see the wall in this picture, but the back of the house is on the same grade as the street so no stairs at all:

ry%3D400

I had wondered if you were coming back! Glad to see that you did.

I feel the same let-down as you must have felt that this wonderful adventure is now over. Although I could not stand the early rising, nor those dangerous stairs between decks, the experiences are something that those of us who cruise the larger ships will never have.

Thanks for all your efforts to complete this report. I have loved riding along.

Happy Canada Day to you!

Okay I will wrap this up.

I did not take many photos on Thursday as we were busy having fun and soaking in as much as we could along with packing (me) and sleeping (DD). What is it about sunshine and water that completely tires a person out?

Here are a few more photos from the GBR

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Alice gave a talk on the coral once per voyage and DD was on a mission to win! We lost by half a point on the 3 day voyage so she was soaking up everything Alice said...in fact, the only question our team after dinner missed was one I was responsible for...I apologised but I was reprimanded. But we did win the lovely prize so I was forgiven.

ry%3D400

I finished packing after dinner and the next day, Saturday during breakfast we watched as the hard working crew hauled all our luggage up those steep stairs. Unbelievable that it was done with a smile too.

The boat entered Cairns marina about 8 in the morning. We gathered on the top deck and too soon it was time to say our good-byes. I had been quietly informed by a few of the crew that DD and I would be missed and never forgotten. That meant so much to me. I commented that surely with all the people they meet DD and I didn't stand out too much. Alice told me that we were different, and in a good way.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

The group photos was taken and we watched the Coral Princess dock for the last time of this voyage for us. We both can't wait to board again.

ry%3D400

As we disembarked each and every member of the crew was on the dock to shake hands, give a hug and a kind word of departure. All modes of transportation had been confirmed on our behalf and were waiting to whisk us away, for DD and I it was to the airport to fly to Brisbane. As we got to the end of the "receiving line" DD bust out in tears, something she doesn't do often.

That says it all. We think of this wonderful adventure nearly daily. I can't wait to introduce DS and DH to this type of voyage.

I hope you enjoyed my trip. Any questions I would gladly try to answer.

Thanks so much for an amazing review...I learned a lot...and loved all of your pictures...having just returned from a very short cruise with two grandsons...who had a wonderful time...I really enjoyed reading about you and your daughter's cruise...Thanks again:):):)

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you so much for this review, really makes me enthusiastic about this cruise. GBR is a place I definitely wanna see, maybe will consider the same trip you did. Thanks again for posting this to us.

John

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Since it is a small boat, the itinerary is pliable depending upon conditions. Our cruise began on Friday morning, March 28 and was to include:

Day 1: Cairns and Thetford Reef

Day 2: Hinchinbrook Channel and Pelorus Island Beach BBQ

Day 3: Dunk Island Rainforest and nathan Reef

Day 4: Fitzroy Island and back to Cairns to change passengers

Day 5: Historic Cooktown and Reef surrounding Lizard Island

Day 6: Lizard island and Ribbon Reefs

Day 7: Ribbon Reefs making our way back to Cairns

Day 8: Cairns

About the boat. Passengers have full access to 3 decks with cabins on the first and second decks. The top deck holds the lounge, one of two bars, outside lounge and tables and spa tub.

We booked the lowest category which got us cabin 206.

ry%3D400

It was very comfortable. The next stateroom category up was on the same deck but had a chest of drawers. The bathroom was larger than some apartment bathrooms I have lived in. It had a tub-sized shower enclosure which also had a clothes line, toilet and sink in a cabinet. There was a shelf over the sink and two shelves under the sink for sufficient storage. Clean towels were provided when you left used ones in the shower. If we hung them up they were not changed.

:

Loved all your photos and information. :) We are hoping to take a cruise on the Coral Princess2 next year and were wondering if you found your cabin noisy? ( from ship's thrusters/engine etc). We notice that in the brochure they mention cabins on the upper deck as being quiet which is why I ask.

• 3 months later...
Loved all your photos and information. :) We are hoping to take a cruise on the Coral Princess2 next year and were wondering if you found your cabin noisy? ( from ship's thrusters/engine etc). We notice that in the brochure they mention cabins on the upper deck as being quiet which is why I ask.

So sorry Bunny76 - it has been 4 months since you asked this question. Life got very hectic and I hope I am not too late.

The only noise we heard was the anchor chain early in the morning. All but 1 night we were anchored and so not moving so no noise. Yes the first morning it is a bit startling but it got us up and ready for our first day of adventure. The people on the deck above said they heard nothing. But for the cost, I wouldn't hesitate to book the same cabin again. After the first morning we heard the anchor but since we knew what it wad it did not bother us.

There was no other noise.