men in a tux

ronulbrich

Nic,

Agreed, and I understand the thought process of having paid for a cruise and wanting to be comfortable, thus changing the narrative of formal dining.

One of my land vacations is in northern Michigan (movie 'Somewhere in Time' was filmed there) and the requirement is that evening wear must be worn throughout the hotel after 6:30pm. (Not necessarily a tux, but shirt-tie-jacket) and people sure look good.

My original inquiry was just for fun and to see what type of incentive would change someone's mind to wear a tux, be it $$ or an offer, cognac perhaps, for anyone wearing a tux.

Carnival has one insentive for the first pax to show up at one of the pubs with a free brew and, from what I've read on a few blogs, it appears to be fun (and it also gets pax in to an area to spend some $$). Not that drinking beer and wearing a tux are on the same level, it's the prize that comes from having an incentive, whatever that may be,

Happy sailing,

Lyannea

Please do wear it! I agree that there are 2 schools of thought, casual v. formal, but whether you are able to cruise frequently or not, any vacation is and should be a special occasion. If you want to celebrate by dressing up, by all means do so! A man in a tux will ALWAYS turn a woman's head.

The DH and I spend all of our time running 3 boys around to school, sports, band, etc. Having the opportunity to dress up makes the cruise special for us. I always wear an evening gown or cocktail dress, DH wears a suit, the middle DS has a new suit he is excited to show off and the oldest DS is bringing his concert band tux. Even the little guy has 2 new ties to wear with a dress shirt and pants.

It is your vacation, so you make it what you wish - whatever your decision, you will not be out of place.

I'm one of the few left who still wear a tux on elegant nights.

However, I don't pack. I always rent.

If you look around on elegant night, out of 100 men, I'd say you'll see 10 wearing a tux, 20 wearing a coat and tie, 20 wear a jacket with no tie, 40 wearing just a collared shirt, and 10 wearing whatever.

This is a Carnival ship. There is no way 10% are wearing a tux. Your other numbers are very accurate. I don't know if 2% is not too high either.

My DH wears a tux and, even at 65, women look at him when he goes by. Then they look at their own DH, who is wearing a polo shirt and khakis and thinks he's dressed up and they don't look happy. I don't blame them either because they're all dressed up nice in a cocktail dress.

Hey, they even dress up the tables in the MDR on elegant night now.

We've been cruising for 20 years, and for the first 15 I always took a black tux and white dinner jacket. These were mostly Holland cruises and some RCCL. My wife loves to dress up and looks fabulous. It was only appropriate that I do the same, plus I think a man looks his absolute best in a tux. A few years ago I started wearing a nice dark suit on formal nights on some Carnival cruises because there we fewer men in a tux. We're cruising Carnival in October and Celebrity in December. I'll definitely bring the tux for December.

I say bring your tux if you want. You will be dressed appropriately on formal nights and no one will think otherwise. Some may think it's not for them, and that's ok too, but they won't think you're out of place.

We try to cruise every year. My husband, father in law and 10 year old son wear tuxedos. We take several formal photos as we usually cruise 7 days or longer. The women wear nice long gowns and we feel good going to dinner dressed nice. Soon as dinner is over we change but we will take plenty of pictures before then. We also have purchased several canvas prints for our home. We hardly ever get a chance to dress up really nice and enjoy it while cruising. The other nights we will wear sundresses or cute summer outfits for dinner in the evening. Again my bus ad and father in law will usually wear a shirt and a coat. We then change into casual clothes after dinner for rest of the night. My son usually goes to camp carnival after dinner.

My husband always wears his tux on 7-day cruises, but has begun to wear a suit on shorter ones. We've always noticed a good number of tuxes on the longer cruises. I'm a musician, so I always have black, and seeing men in tuxedos is kind of second nature for me. Plus, I love men in tuxes!

My DH hates to dress up and he has only worn a tux at his children's wedding. He didn't even wear one at ours! We are older and both of us had to dress professionally when we worked so now in our "golden years" and living in FL where casual is the lifestyle, getting him into dress pants and a dress shirt is as far as he will go.

He used to wear a suit and tie or a sport coat and tie, but he sweats a lot and the jacket came off at the first opportunity. He was just way too hot on a cruise to keep it on. We have been on many cruises (cruising since 1984) and his choice is Carnival because he doesn't HAVE to get dressed up as much as say Celebrity. I'd like to see him in at least a suit, but I know how uncomfortable he is now, so I don't make a big deal out of it.

If you want to wear a tux, go for it. You will look better that 98% of the people onboard.

Wear your tux!! Who cares how others dress!

There are some men who cruise who don't even own a suit! :eek:

Make yourself happy. You will never be out of place when dressing well, and I dare say that the crew will appreciate the effort also.

I usually do the black tux, and then a white dinner jacket with the same tux slacks in warmer weather. A different bow tie / cummerbund / vest for each night. Never the same thing twice.

Set the standard, don't follow the herd!

I am a believer of formal night being 'formal night'

If you have no intentions of adhering to it then do not go into the MDR.

In fact I would ask the compainies themselves to enforce the rule.

In fact on our 1st cruise 2 years ago I wore the full highland outfit.

Just my opinion.

Edited by HappyChappy

I've noticed quite a variety on Elegant Night, but only have only seen one tux on a Carnival cruise. The man wearing a tux was accompanied by a woman in a floor length gown. Their two young daughters also wore floor length dresses. They looked very nice.

Just my opinion.

Man, I wish I could pull that outfit off with credibility, but I'm of Italian heritage! However, I have seen more than my share on Cunard.

Just my opinion.

For the most part they do enforce "cruise elegant " night .No more formal night on Carnival.

I like to see men in tuxes, or in casual but dressy wear. I appreciate the effort that some take to wear "real" formal wear, but over the years I have evolved as well, and while I do notice the tuxes, and the men in them;) I also am happy that we now have a choice of how to dress. As long as people wear what is within the guidelines of the cruiseline, I am fine with it all.

When I first started cruising in 1999, I packed a lot more dressy clothes, and now I dont. "cruise elegant" works for me as a female.

But I do take a second look of those gents in tuxes or nice suits.:)

I stopped bring my tux on Carnival since just a dress shirt and tie is almost over dress these days.

Yep! Although I still wear my Tux on Holland.

Agreed. I have no problem wearing a tux or a suit on Princess, but I would never wear one on Carnival. In my opinion, the atmosphere on Carnival isn't all too "elegant" and definitely not formal.

Edited by Disconnections

Agreed. I have no problem wearing a tux or a suit on Princess, but I would never wear one on Carnival. In my opinion, the atmosphere on Carnival isn't all too "elegant" and definitely not formal.

To an extent I agree with you re the tux!

However whether it's elegant night or formal night or shirt and tie night

I think that for one night the rules should be enforced.

It's a very casual experience on a Carnival ship but they still maintain the elegant night tradition.

To an extent I agree with you re the tux!

However whether it's elegant night or formal night or shirt and tie night

I think that for one night the rules should be enforced.

It's a very casual experience on a Carnival ship but they still maintain the elegant night tradition.

I think you are trying to play both sides of the fence here and if not then you are trying to push an ajenda.

If you read what "Elegant dress" is for men, you will see that a Kilt is not mentioned for this American cruise ship company. You are not following the rules. How can you expect everyone else to if you do not. Just like we have many sunbathers out at the pool during the day and they are observing the american customs. (at least the women are by wearing a top).

When we americans visit religious buildings in Muslum countries we follow the protocall's as set forth. Just because you are of a scottish heritage does not trump what our american standards are.

It is spelled out in black and white what is acceptable.

What ever is called for where ever we are is what we try and follow. You are right, people should follow the rules and they should be enforced.

If I showed up with no shirt then they would not let me in. So no suit no service:):D

I think you are trying to play both sides of the fence here and if not then you are trying to push an ajenda.

If you read what "Elegant dress" is for men, you will see that a Kilt is not mentioned for this American cruise ship company. You are not following the rules. How can you expect everyone else to if you do not. Just like we have many sunbathers out at the pool during the day and they are observing the american customs. (at least the women are by wearing a top).

When we americans visit religious buildings in Muslum countries we follow the protocall's as set forth. Just because you are of a scottish heritage does not trump what our american standards are.

It is spelled out in black and white what is acceptable.

What ever is called for where ever we are is what we try and follow. You are right, people should follow the rules and they should be enforced.

If I showed up with no shirt then they would not let me in. So no suit no service:):D

Agreed.

that being said, -any business whether it be a the car or, hotel, or cruise industry has to perform a needs assessment every once in awhile to determine how to stay in business, and, apparently, the needs of pax during formal/elegant night has changed and those wearing a nice polo shirt feel comfortable and feel that they look nice, so they are happy, thus making the business happy.

This discussions comes up quite often and usually centers around two themes.There is the "I have to dress up for work" crowd who believes that as casual as possible is the way to go.Then there are those who see elegant nights as a chance to dress up. Carnival is a fun ship for all and we will continue to see both groups in the MDR. So go ahead and wear the tux,you won't be alone !

Thats me I wear a suit every day for work. So when I am off the suits don't come out. I will wear nice slacks and a button down shirt or polo though.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app