HC Cabin or not?

cello56

I take my almost 82 year old Mother-in-law on a cruise each year as her Christmas gift. Up until now she has been very able bodied, and walking the length of the ship was no issue at all for her. This past year she took a very bad fall, and ended up almost completely immobile. Thanks to a lot of physio, she is back on her feet again. Most of the time she uses a walker as she is not real stable. She cannot walk long distances without stopping to rest several times. She is also legally blind (macular degeneration), partially deaf (wears two hearing aids) diabetic and has incontinence issues. As you can imagine, taking her on a cruise is a big undertaking.

So here is my question. I am looking to take her on her next cruise sometime in the winter of 2015 on Royal Caribbean. One of her biggest challenges is 'seeing' small steps and irregularities on the ground. That small step into the bathroom could pose a big challenge for her if she forgets about it - especially in the middle of the night. Since she has incontinency issues, she is up multiple times in the night to urinate. In the shower the small step could again pose an issue, and she needs to have a grab bar, especially in case of rocky weather.

To me it sounds like she is sort of on the cusp of needing a HC room, but not quite there yet. My concern is that if I book us in a regular cabin now, and her mobility regresses even a little bit back (from her fall earlier this year) she will indeed need the additional features of a HC cabin. If I wait, it is likely that there will no longer be any left. But if I book it now, then I am potentially taking a HC out of availability for other more needing cruisers.

She really doesn't need the extra space in the cabin, she just needs the lower bathroom threshold and the grab bars.

What would those of you who deal with this on a regular basis suggest? Thank you for your help.

IMHO she legitimately needs the HC cabin. Book early to secure one, you don't have anything to feel guilty about. Those step ups and need grab rails are real issues. And I am sure the shower seat will be a big help.

You definitely need a handicapped cabin. Actually they are "accessible" cabins designed for any folks who have mobility issues and your mother certainly qualifies. Don't even think about it - book it now so you get your choice of cabins.

Thank you ladies. I guess I still think of them being reserved for those using a wheelchair or scooter.

Though accessible cabins allow for the use of wheelchair/scooter any individual that has a mobility disability or other disability that requires the use of the accessible features that are provided in the cabin can book it.

The fact that your mother-in-law cannot do steps and needs a zero threshold bathroom /shower entry certainly gives her the right to book an accessible cabin.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Thank you ladies. I guess I still think of them being reserved for those using a wheelchair or scooter.

Your mother definitely should have an accessible cabin. I bring a mobility scooter with me but I don't need any of the other aids - just the space for the scooter. I wish that cruise lines could accommodate the scooters in an area so we would not need to book an accessible cabin when we just need the room for the scooter someplace nearby. They don't want us to park them in hallways and I understand that. I hope they can find room somewhere else to store the scooters and free up the accessible cabins for those who need the extra features. We are an aging population and the situation is only going to get worse.

Yes I had thought about renting her a manual wheelchair that we could push her in. We want to take her on Allure of the Seas, and it is huge. Unfortunately she will never be able to get a motorized scooter due to her visual limitations. Hopefully she will be able to get by with the walker for everyday home use and not need more for a very long time. She still lives alone and manages quite well for herself.

Yes I had thought about renting her a manual wheelchair that we could push her in. We want to take her on Allure of the Seas, and it is huge. Unfortunately she will never be able to get a motorized scooter due to her visual limitations. Hopefully she will be able to get by with the walker for everyday home use and not need more for a very long time. She still lives alone and manages quite well for herself.

I'm awfully late to post this, so I hope you're still checking this thread. have you checked into a rollator? They're a walker that rolls and has a seat that the person can sit on. You can push them as they're seated, if need be. For someone with mobility enough to walk, but who needs rest, and possibly something to steady her... this might work out wonderfully. We got my 74 year old mother (who has macular degeneration and mobility issues... maybe we should cruise together, LOL) one, and it's a life saver. She also uses the little storage area under the seat to keep her purse tucked away. That way, as she's walking, the purse doesn't throw off her center of gravity.

We got hers on Amazon. She's very short, so I actually hunted one that had the word pediatric included. It's great, and they're cheaper to buy than renting a chair.

Hope this helps!

Your mother definitely should have an accessible cabin. I bring a mobility scooter with me but I don't need any of the other aids - just the space for the scooter. I wish that cruise lines could accommodate the scooters in an area so we would not need to book an accessible cabin when we just need the room for the scooter someplace nearby. They don't want us to park them in hallways and I understand that. I hope they can find room somewhere else to store the scooters and free up the accessible cabins for those who need the extra features. We are an aging population and the situation is only going to get worse.

I agree. I don't need the HC bathroom, but I do need room for my scooter. In fact, needing a HC room does not allow for upgrades or for last-minute cruise discounts. Wish I could cruise without a scooter, but I cannot walk much without pain. However, I'm not complaining, there are too many people out there with severe health issues.

I'm awfully late to post this, so I hope you're still checking this thread. have you checked into a rollator? They're a walker that rolls and has a seat that the person can sit on. You can push them as they're seated, if need be. For someone with mobility enough to walk, but who needs rest, and possibly something to steady her... this might work out wonderfully. We got my 74 year old mother (who has macular degeneration and mobility issues... maybe we should cruise together, LOL) one, and it's a life saver. She also uses the little storage area under the seat to keep her purse tucked away. That way, as she's walking, the purse doesn't throw off her center of gravity.

We got hers on Amazon. She's very short, so I actually hunted one that had the word pediatric included. It's great, and they're cheaper to buy than renting a chair.

Hope this helps!

Thank you, yes she is already using one of these! I didn't realize that they had a different name from a walker! The built in seat was a Godsend for muster drill as there is no way in the world she could have stood that long. It was also great for sail away too!

DSCN5786.jpg

We just returned, and my DD was put into a WC right before the cruise. There were no accessible cabins available, so we had to make do with a regular one. Luckily she could walk some, because the WC didn't fit through the door! We had to partially collapse it to get it in and out.

Rather than renting, check out Amazon. We ended up purchasing one for under $200.

Thank you, yes she is already using one of these! I didn't realize that they had a different name from a walker! The built in seat was a Godsend for muster drill as there is no way in the world she could have stood that long. It was also great for sail away too!

That's awesome! The only reason I know the different names for all the equipment is working in long term care for a while (I work in a jail now... no walkers and a whole new set of issues, LOL). The physical therapists there would go bonkers if we called them the wrong thing. So, of course, I did it just to drive them nuts. :D

Mom is hilarious about her walker. She loves it, solely because of the storage. When we go somewhere, she's like, "Don't carry that! Put it in here!" I swear, the woman could fit an elephant in that tiny storage compartment!