3 day paris trip pre cruise..questions

itsanita

When you come out of baggage claim at CDG, there is a ticket counter where you can purchase the Paris Visite card. We did that last year. You probably can also get the Museum Card there too. Very easy to do.

When you come out of baggage claim at CDG, there is a ticket counter where you can purchase the Paris Visite card. We did that last year. You probably can also get the Museum Card there too. Very easy to do.

Perfect, we will purchase both tickets there. thanks again..saves the shipping!!

Good to know about the Paris Visite purchase at CDG, in case we decide to do the RER into Paris! The Paris Pass can only be picked up at their office near the Opera House. Haven't decided which pass to buy yet, but this seems onerous.

So, anyone have an opinion of how to spend our first, jetlagged day? We arrive early, and our hotel near the Pantheon will hold our bags if they can't do early check-in. We like to stay up if we can. Walking is good, although we're older so won't walk the length of Paris. I note the HoHo bus has a stop fairly close by. Might be a good option for that day, if the weather is decent.

I'll try to answer your question. This board tends to attract primarily cruisers who, generally speaking, don't add a lot of independent travel before and/or after their cruise. ...

I agree about Marie Antoinette, etc., but I don't agree that most cruisers don't do independent travel along with their cruises. Just sayin'.

And we will not be doing Versailles. I saw it 45 years ago, husband doesn't really care.

...You might also double check on the free breakfast included so there are no surprises. Paris unlike Rome where every hotel has a free breakfast usually charges between 13 euros to 30 euros per person. It may have been a special for you but I have never seen it free in any of the hotels etc. that I have researched.

I would get my tickets for the Eiffel Tower or underground tour online in advance. ...

I had read this about hotel breakfasts, so was happy when the one we chose had a special that includes breakfast with a 4-night stay. And I have it in writing!

Do you recommend going up the Eiffel Tower at night? I remember doing it during the day, years ago, and had thought we would do that. I hadn't thought out that we have to book in advance. Sigh. I hate planning things, would rather go with the flow. Is this really necessary in mid-October?

"... but I don't agree that most cruisers don't do independent travel along with their cruises. Just sayin'.

Except that my exact words were "a lot of independent travel."

Based on the questions people post on the port boards, the typical add-on to cruise travel seems to be in the 1 1/2 to 3 day range. We'll agree to disagree if you think that spending a maximum of 3 days in some of the great destinations of the world meets the definition of a lot of independent travel.

Except that my exact words were "a lot of independent travel."

Based on the questions people post on the port boards, the typical add-on to cruise travel seems to be in the 1 1/2 to 3 day range. We'll agree to disagree if you think that spending a maximum of 3 days in some of the great destinations of the world meets the definition of a lot of independent travel.

Sure. I would also probably have phrased it differently. Many American travellers who are doing cruises do not do extensive independent travel as part of their cruise trip. This, based on my reading of CC for the past 12 years or so.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

[quote name=Wendy The Wanderer

Do you recommend going up the Eiffel Tower at night? I remember doing it during the day' date=' years ago, and had thought we would do that. I hadn't thought out that we have to book in advance. Sigh. I hate planning things, would rather go with the flow. Is this really necessary in mid-October?[/quote]

The Eiffel tower is beautiful after dark. It twinkles and becomes so magical ! We were there Nov 20 - Nov 24 2013. It was raining but it was still wonderful. We bought our tickets on line in advance and are also going to buy in advance for our May 16 -20 trip. The only time we could get was 10pm and there were lots of people there. They must have closed around 10:30pm. The city is all lit up so the views are beautiful. You could plan it as one of the last things you do for the day. You can return to your hotel by metro or taxi. We took a taxi back to our hotel ,(Hotel Brighton) near the Tuileries Gardens and it was only 10euros. We could see the Eiffel Tower twinkle from our balcony and I just loved the view !

The Eiffel tower is beautiful after dark. It twinkles and becomes so magical ! We were there Nov 20 - Nov 24 2013. It was raining but it was still wonderful. We bought our tickets on line in advance and are also going to buy in advance for our May 16 -20 trip. The only time we could get was 10pm and there were lots of people there. They must have closed around 10:30pm. The city is all lit up so the views are beautiful. You could plan it as one of the last things you do for the day. You can return to your hotel by metro or taxi. We took a taxi back to our hotel ,(Hotel Brighton) near the Tuileries Gardens and it was only 10euros. We could see the Eiffel Tower twinkle from our balcony and I just loved the view !

Too late for us. But maybe we'll try for sunset, about 6 p.m. entrance. Thanks. What's the deal with Floor 1 and Floor 2? I can't remember since I was there in 1970, and I believe the old spiral staircase up to the very top was still there.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

Too late for us. But maybe we'll try for sunset, about 6 p.m. entrance. Thanks. What's the deal with Floor 1 and Floor 2? I can't remember since I was there in 1970, and I believe the old spiral staircase up to the very top was still there.

I think the regular ticket gets you to floor 2 which is about half way up. That is where we went to, its pretty high and the view is great. You can buy another ticket to go up to the top from there for something like 5 or 6 euros. We didn't do that because it was raining and windy the night we were there. I think you can also buy a cheaper ticket and climb the stairs all the way up. We are to old to even consider that but for the young at heart maybe that would be fun !