Opinion time: best month for going to Alaska?

DanaLea73

We were on B2B beginning of July. First week wore mostly short sleeve shirts and had 85 degree weather in Skagway. Second week never wore anything but long sleeve shirts and sweat shirts. Luckily no rain the whole two weeks. Just never no! :)

This year: May was dry.

June is glug....wet. Windy. Fallish. El nino ish. Warm ocean waters are being mean to us...

Ugh! Tell me about it. I just spent 2 weeks in Juneau and I think I had 2 nice days there, the most recent being Saturday. Anchorage, on the other hand, is a lot nicer. At least, it is today. It's warm and dry here.

I know that the OP can't go during the school year, but FYI for others, we have gone twice in September and the weather has been wonderful both times. Just to show how unpredictable Alaska weather can be. We like Sept. As there are fewer crowds, fewer children, and usually good bargains.
And fall colors, which is another reason we're going in September next year. We're always prepared for rain.

And fall colors, which is another reason we're going in September next year. We're always prepared for rain.

Frankly, the fall colors are far superior in central NY, and easy to view since they have a 3 week window within a couple hour drive.

The colors I've seen in Alaska, are a very short window, it can be over in days, and tough to hit peak sighting. I've been lucky catching some views from end of August into Sept, but it's also because I'm there for extended blocks of time. Pure luck. :)

Both times we have been there in Sept. The fall colors were very nice. Not the rich reds and oranges of the Northeast and Midwest, but the yellows made a very nice contrast to all the green. We are going again this Sept as that is our favorite time of year to travel.

Come on the Holland America. We are going July 22, 2015 on the Oosterdam 12 day D5L beginnng in Fairbanks. Looks like a great itinerary. I have done a lot of research in making the decision between cruise lines and the itinerary. People that are going with us were very pleased with the choice. Let me know if you are coming on this trip.

You should check out you ship's rollcall:D to see if anyone has started a blog/rollcall for your cruise. Easier to find anyone on your same cruise. :D If not then you can start one yourself......

Come on the Holland America. We are going July 22, 2015 on the Oosterdam 12 day D5L beginnng in Fairbanks. Looks like a great itinerary. I have done a lot of research in making the decision between cruise lines and the itinerary. People that are going with us were very pleased with the choice. Let me know if you are coming on this trip.
Edited by grammyprf

• 2 weeks later...
I know that the OP can't go during the school year, but FYI for others, we have gone twice in September and the weather has been wonderful both times. Just to show how unpredictable Alaska weather can be. We like Sept. As there are fewer crowds, fewer children, and usually good bargains.

Fewer crowds and fewer children are pluses for me. Would those be the case in May? Unlike the OP I am open to May sailings. Looking at the 5-15-15 Golden Gate RT out of San Francisco on the Celebrity Infinity. Coming from Florida, I am not afraid of a few raindrops, but reluctant about freezing my you-know-what off. Thoughts on May?:)

I prefer sailing July-August for 2 reasons: 1. I like salmon season for both the spawning and the bears. 2. I like to go to Alaska for a respite from the HOT summer, which tends to peak in July-August in Missouri. It's wonderful to be in Alaska in 50-60 degrees with rain while it is 100+ degrees and no rain at home!

That said, we're heading out in a week in a half, just in time for the "polar vortex" that will be hitting the midwest. Maybe it will be warmer in Alaska :eek:

schools on the west coast get out mid June. thinking a lot of Alaska travelers are from this coast.

Our room we have booked triples four weeks later after kids are out of school. (thus why i'm taking my kids out)

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

I don't know about that! Schools in our area (northern CA) are out at before end of May.

We went in July and the weather was flawless. Shorts most days, with a light pullover. Zero rain.

That being said, I am going back in Sept. next year. I want to try and catch some of the fall colors if possible, plus the rates that late in seasons are much cheaper with far fewer crowds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Late July to late August are the best times for getting as close to the glaciers as possible. USUALLY. (In Alaska you must always use a disclaimer when it comes to the weather!)