keeping "tabs" on 13 year old while cruising

2Xtraveler

Hi everyone. Any ideas on how to keep in touch with our 13 year old while cruising. Last cruise we brought walkie talkies and it worked quite well. I don't want to be following her around but I know it's a big ship and I'd like to know her wherabouts. Thx for any ideas.

We would set rules before we even left home. If they wanted some "freedom" these where the rules, otherwise they hang with mom and dad. We would do periodic checkins, so set approx. times to reconnect, always have dinner together, notes in cabin of whereabouts. Depending on the day we would edit times but make it clear what you expect. Also set curfew! It is a bit of work but it worked for us, (not that we didnt hit a few snags..) and the cant we stay out later.. but stick to your guns, so everyone can enjoy

Shelley

PS bring sticky notes to leave messages on vanity mirror

Hi everyone. Any ideas on how to keep in touch with our 13 year old while cruising. Last cruise we brought walkie talkies and it worked quite well. I don't want to be following her around but I know it's a big ship and I'd like to know her wherabouts. Thx for any ideas.

If it worked the first time, why not repeat success?

On a recent cruise our group consisted of 7 adults and 4 girls, 20,14,11 and 8. On the door to their cabin we had a dry erase board (magnets on the back) we bought at dollar tree. All of us would write where we were going on the board when not in our rooms. It worked out great. We would set a time to all meet for Breakfast and Dinner, other than that just check in on the board. Even the cabin steward appreciated our updates.

We didn't leave notes on the outside of the cabin doors, figured it would be too easy for someone else to change the message or just take the post it note.

We had check in times. Set a curfew. Discussed safety rules - no people in our cabin, you don't go to other cabins, don't give other kids your cabin number, basically hang out in the public areas (no reason to roam near cabins). Dressed & ready for dinner by 5:45.

My kids weren't allowed to "roam" without reason! I would allow them to go here and there (say, arcade or buffet, etc...) for a specific reason/length of time...then they had to come back to me to check in, before going somewhere else. They were NOT allowed to just go for no reason. If they were in the kids club...that was great....they would know where to find me or hubby, and if they left the club, we had to physically SEE them.

If it worked the first time, why not repeat success?

We didn't leave notes on the outside of the cabin doors, figured it would be too easy for someone else to change the message or just take the post it note.

We had check in times. Set a curfew. Discussed safety rules - no people in our cabin, you don't go to other cabins, don't give other kids your cabin number, basically hang out in the public areas (no reason to roam near cabins). Dressed & ready for dinner by 5:45.

YEP!!! When my DD was younger, we'd use walkie talkies and check in times!!

I would have her always meet us for dinner, and have her check in at noon, and normally we'd eat lunch together, and if she checked herself out of Camp Carnival, she had to let us know. After dinner, she had a curfew to be in the cabin. In the winter, it was earlier -- since it was dark already. In the summer, it was 8:30ish. From that time on in the evening and night, we did things together!!!

I'm sure your daughter will fine on the ship if you have check-in times.There is so much fun, innocent things for teenagers to do. Lots of times they just like to hang out together. I would make sure she knows not to go into a boy's cabin and no boys in her cabin. (I know someone that found that out the hard way.) I think having meals together is a good way to stay connected.

Post-it notes left in cabin worked for us and our 2 dd's. Set rules before you go, and review them multiple times. (curfew, no sitting on railings, no hanging in "friend's" cabin alone, dinners must be with our family, take no drinks from anyone - especially open ones.) Our kids always knew where we would be, where to find us, also! Walkie talkies didn't work for us. Even though we had "good" ones w/ a 5 mile radius, we hit many dead spots on the ships we sailed on.