Paid upgrade ... Is it worth it?

apuleius

We have OB suite for our upcoming 7 day port intensive Med cruise. Our TA has just rung with an offer from SB - £99 pp for upgrade to cat V5 or V6 on OB basis. Is this worth considering? The cruise has been showing full online for some time now. The other offer we were made is for £899 pp for penthouse suite!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We took up a similar offer on the Quest in April, Jo. We changed to deck 7 and the location was great (736 if I remember correctly). Some people, however, found that the pool deck above deck 7 was a source of noise especially early in the morning when loungers and tables are being moved around. Just something to be aware of.

My wife and I took up the upgrade offer on a recent Seabourn Odyssey voyage.

We upgraded to a V6 suite 827.

It was a bad move.

The suite was located opposite two staff doors which were in constant use, especially around 7am in the morning. Housed behind the staff doors is a service lift - and this is the method room service uses when delivering breakfasts etc. Every time the door was pushed open, the staff let it slam closed behind them. We had several early morning wake up calls by this method.

The doors and the service lift are not shown on the deck plans. I am extremely annoyed at myself for not realising what that blank space was - should have known better at my age!

For just a smattering extra........wouldn't the Penthouse add a great deal of pleasure to your trip? We have never regretted the extra paid for a lovely suite.

I think it is fair to say that c $3,065 is not just a 'smattering extra' for quite a few Seabourn customers.

We have OB suite for our upcoming 7 day port intensive Med cruise. Our TA has just rung with an offer from SB - £99 pp for upgrade to cat V5 or V6 on OB basis. Is this worth considering? The cruise has been showing full online for some time now. The other offer we were made is for £899 pp for penthouse suite!

Might I ask which cruise you are in?

Thanks.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

• 2 weeks later...
Odyssey - Athens to Istanbul July 26

I'm curious if you took the upgrade offer?

If not were there any further offers?

Thanks.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I just got offered an upgrade from OB (veranda guarantee) to V5-V6 for 599 per person. Cruise is sold out and they are trying to shuffle all the guarantees around and perhaps make some more dough while doing it. Cruise is in 26 days and we have not been assigned yet under our GTY booking. 12 nights by the way......

Would you do it? I have been offered 636 or 634 or 714 (which I like the best) ;-))

Thanks

Steve

We seem to have 2 threads with the same things on, more or less. I have just posted on the other one; I would consider paying £99 UK for an upgrade if I were told which suite, or had a choice, not otherwise. I would never pay $599 for the same thing, however.

If you are in a verandah guarantee why would you pay for any category of verandah? Had you been assigned to a V1 previously?

I was considering it, but have decided to continue to roll the dice. It makes no sense to throw more money at them.

We will end up there anyway...........

Steve

I was considering it, but have decided to continue to roll the dice. It makes no sense to throw more money at them.

We will end up there anyway...........

Steve

We had a veranda guarantee and will be in a V4 next week, cater-corner from our friends who paid a lot more for a V6. Of course, we could have wound up in a V1, but we've been lucky both times we went with the guarantee option.

How far in advance did you hear - still waiting and 23 days to go!

Most likely to be less than a week before - keep checking your 'already booked' on the website. Have heard it could be not until you board, but I think nowadays is likely to be 3 to 7 days before. Nil carborundum!