North to Alaska-Amsterdam May 18th thru June 1st, 2014 - Better late than never....

(Sung to the tune of 'Gilligan's Island' theme song)

'Sailing into Juneau-town, anticipation built. The small boat TA tour was set, with the Alberta lass who quilts...with the Alberta lass who quilts.'

Juneau: Up and out on the porch early to view the familiar Juneau shoreline as we sailed into port. Gazing at the Mt. Robert's peak and the remains of the gold mine off Douglas Island are burned in my memory from that 2006 cruise where we had reached our first Alaskan port - newbies, full of anticipation and excitement of the adventure ahead.

Now, all those years later, was no exception. THIS time I would finally be able to partake in the Tracy Arm small boat excursion I had yearned for these many years.

While this excursion wasn't listed for our ship on this sailing, a Roll Call member had contacted the vendor, Allen Marine, to request several tickets for Amsterdam passengers to share w/the Oosterdam passengers. After many months of back and forth, and the original Roll Call member having to cancel the cruise, only Clipper (aka Alberta Quilter) and I had taken advantage of this wonderful opportunity.

Due to a slight misunderstanding on my part with where to meet up for this tour, I walked over to the Oosterdam's docking point and boarded the coach to take us to Allen Marine's dock, a short drive away. Clipper was left ringing her hands and wondering where her traveling companion was at the Amsterdam's docking point. No worries - it all worked out in the end, as Clipper and I boarded the small catamaran along with approx. 25 Oosterdam passengers to begin our journey back into Tracy Arm.

On the ride to the mouth of the fiord, we were rewarded with many whale sightings as cameras clicked and exclamations of wonder were heard. Upon entering Tracy Arm Fiord, the spectacular scenery of the day before once again assaulted our senses - a feast for the eyes! Alternating between the top deck and the comfortable (but overly warm) interior of the boat, Clipper and I had a repeat performance of the prior day, stunned by the beauty around us.

An all-female group made up the crew of our boat and these ladies, including the captain, were more than capable of providing informative and interesting commentary as we ventured forth.

Alas, we were unable - even in this much smaller boat - to get close enough to the glacier to rival the Amsterdam's position of yesterday.:( Certainly the small boat perspective in this beautiful, almost reverent place, was magnificent. We got up close and personal with some of those lovely waterfalls we'd seen from a distance the day before. Close enough to feel the spray of the falls on our faces, almost close enough to catch some of that frigid glacier melt in a glass if we'd had a mind to.

While our sail in and out of the fiord was once again spectacular and a feast for the senses, I don't think I would spend the $$$ to do it again. I'm afraid Capt. Fred had spoiled us with the proximity of the glacier just the day before. We sure did get lucky as it is rare for cruiseships to get so close to the Sawyer Glacier.

On the return trip to Juneau, it was so warm inside the lower deck of our catamaran, Clipper and I ventured to the aft outside deck to feel the wind in our hair and the sun on our faces as we glimpsed humps and tails (some quite close) of those mammoth whales that call Gastineau Bay home.

Walked back to the ship after calling DH to tell him about my latest adventure, dropped off my camera and binoculars, shedding my jacket and donning a teeshirt and capris (it had gotten downright balmy!) to venture out with my shopping diva, Michelle, to hit some of her favorite stores. Another successful afternoon of retail therapy for Michelle, I do believe she was happy with her jewelry purchase;)!

We strolled around Juneau's shopping district, noting the relocation of Tracy's Crab Shack from the area near the library and parking garage to a store front with an outdoor dining location in the rear, much closer to the Mt. Robert's Tram departure point. To any of you with a hankering for humungous King crab legs, mouthwatering crab bisque, and all the trimmings - be sure to visit Tracy's. Pricey? Without a doubt. But oh so worth it - the size of those crab legs are as big as my wrist and filled with sweet crab meat that will melt in your mouth! BTW - you can order crab legs, bisque and some of Tracy's other crustacean treats via her website to have shipped home so you can enjoy it whenever you like. Google "Tracy's Crab Shack" in Juneau.

A late dinner in the Lido, then up to the Dark Side to compare notes with our new-found friends about their day in port. John and Donna shared with excitement their experiences for the day and watched Juneau fade into the distance from our 'porch' at 10PM that night.

My longing for a whale watching excursion that rivaled that of my 2011 experience in Icy Strait Point the next day made for dreams of bubblenet feeding and breaching bohemoths as I drifted off in that oh-so-cozy HAL bed.

Icy Strait Point and the very Alaskan town of Hoonah is our next stop on this magical journey thru Southeast Alaska.

Hi AIP

Love reading your review and remembering just how magnificent Alaska truly is.

I had tears in my eyes when I first saw Tracy Arm and all the snow capped mountains

along the way. Not to mention those whale tails!!!!!!!

I feel we only skimmed the surface as to what Alaska has to offer. SOooooooo, we have to plan another trip.

Good meeting you at the M&G, near the burger area and up at Lido.

Seabreez (Pat from Harrisburg, Pa)

(Sung to the tune of "Gilligan's Island" theme song)

'Through the night we cruised to Icy Strait and Hoonah's forested shores, a boat trip planned with Misty Bay, we hoped for whales galore...we hoped for whales galore."

Icy Strait Point (Hoonah) - Spoiled rotten with breaching whales, numerous instances of bubblenet feeding, along with the obligatory humps and tails on our 2011 whale watch w/Misty Bay Lodge, we were hoping for more of the same. Alas, the whale gods were not smiling on us so much this day, but we still managed to see several whales, just no acrobatics this time:(.

Booked independently with Hope and Capt. Dan of Misty Bay Lodge. I cannot recommend these folks enough - wonderful customer service, friendly, personable, and the nicest folks you'll ever meet. They treat you like family. Google "Misty Bay Lodge", cost was approx. $170/pp for 4 hours.

LVSue, Rhodi, and my friends Donna and John joined me on this whale watch. (No, Michelle didn't come along, she isn't into small boats and isn't very adventurous, so she lives vicariously thru me:D). We tendered to shore, walked up the dock and thru the parking lot to just outside the guard shack where Hope was waiting with big smiles and hugs all around. Hope remembered me from my 2011 whale watch/bear search combo with them, so we briefly relived that trip (they provide an excellent bear search as well if the time of year is right). She showed us points of interest along the mile or so drive along the coast to the lodge located in beautiful downtown Hoonah. We settled up our fare, and she drove us to the dock, where we walked down the pier to meet Capt. Dan to board the 6 passenger catarmarin to begin our day. The boat is large and roomy, plenty of comfortable indoor space with small head (bathroom), kitchen and bunk area, table w/padded bench seats with cookies and beverages for our pleasure. There is a covered aft area that was large enough for all of us to be out there if we wanted, as well as a flying bridge that John and I later climbed up to in order to get some whale photos from a different perspective.

The day was warm and sunny, though out on the water you needed to bundle up to be outside. Capt. Dan warned us that only about 8 humpbacks appeared to be 'back' in Hoonah this May, which was unusual. Normally at this time of year they have up to 20 humpacks at a time.

Reports of a bear along the shore sent us along the coast as we headed out to whale watch country, but we never did see him. Finally we saw spouts in the distance and made our way to our first whale. Again, just humps and tails, but it was still thrilling. Capt. Sean from Glacier Winds and Capt. Floyd from F.I.S.H.E.S. were in constant contact with Dan, so we learned about a pair of whales not too far away. As we approached, we saw the other two boats watching some activity nearby. After surfacing several times, the pair seemed to head for the deep. While the other two boats headed out, we patiently waited and were rewarded with the whales surfacing closer to our boat. I love whale watching, would do it in every Alaskan port if finances allowed, so any day on the water seeking whales is a worthwhile experience for me. We saw several sea lions and sea otters, curious about us and the boat, as well as loads of eagles, and of course, the spectacular Alaskan scenery all around us.

Capt. Dan is full of wonderful stories of life in the sleepy Alaskan town of Hoonah, and we all enjoyed his chatter. Saw approximately 5 whales and spent as much time as we wanted with each sighting. Before too long, it was time to head back to port. While it was a bit disappointing not to have the whale show we'd been fortunate enough to witness on our 2011 trip, we all enjoyed our time on the water in ISP.

Upon returning to the pier, Hope took Sue and Rhodi back to ISP, while Donna, John and I grabbed a bite to eat at Misty Bay Lodge. Donna said the halibut pizza was delicious, and my huckleberry ice cream cone was to die for! Hope gave John and I a tour of the Lodge's accomodations, explaining the new week long package they are offering for those who wish to partake in the 'real' Alaska for a glorious 7 days. You tell them what you want to do - whale watching, fishing, crabbing, hiking, bear searching - whatever your heart desires, each day and they take it from there - all meals and lodging provided in one price. I know my husband would LOVE to do that, so we'll definitely keep it in mind for the future.

I noticed that Hope and Dan had taken our suggestion on the 2011 trip to produce teeshirts for sale, and even used the photo my niece took of a whale tale with the slogan we had suggested "I got some 'tail' at Misty Bay Lodge." Of course I had to get one of those teeshirts as a souvenier!:D

Afterwards, the three of us walked around Hoonah going into a few small shops, and into the village's carving barn to watch an artist as he worked on a totem pole. Really fascinating. Met the town dog who insisted that you throw a stick for him. Anyone would do. Just pick up a stick or a rock or whatever was handy, and our 4-legged friend would retrieve it and bring it back with a wagging tail and a lolling tongue!

After we'd spent some time in Hoonah, Hope gave us a ride back to the cannery building where we wandered the shops and walked along the beach trail out to the campfire the natives had blazing. They provide a bucket of cedar chips for you to throw into the fire, which in their culture means you will one day return. We walked to the bottom of the zipline hoping to see (and hear) a screaming 'passenger' zipping down the mountain, but nope, no victims while we were there! It was a LONG way up, I sure as heck wouldn't do it!

Eagles were everywhere in the spruce trees, along the beach, flying across the water, and even on the pier. Naturally, we saw a whale right there in the harbor not too far off shore! And as we boarded the tender to head back to the ship, a whale surfaced right next to the tender, scaring the bejesus out of the poor soul sitting by that window. What fun!

Once back on board our home away from home, I shared our whale watching experience with Michelle and we sat on our balcony for sail away.

I hated to leave. Hoonah has quickly become one of my favorite places. I know many don't see the appeal of this port, complaining that there is nothing to do there. I on the other hand, see it differently. Not only is it the perfect port to go whale watching, fishing, kayaking, or on a bear search, to me it is a true Alaskan village, the beauty of the place is just stunning, and how can you not be moved by that? You can shop or do any of those other touristy things in Ketchikan or even Juneau, but you can't experience the true Alaskan spirit that can be found in ISP/Hoonah just anywhere, now can you?

Tomorrow is a sea day as we sail toward Anchorage. While it feels like our adventure has only just begun, we're already almost seven days into the trip - How'd THAT happen????:rolleyes:

'Through the night we cruised to Icy Strait and Hoonah's forested shores, a boat trip planned with Misty Bay, we hoped for whales galore...we hoped for whales galore."

Icy Strait Point (Hoonah) - Spoiled rotten with breaching whales, numerous instances of bubblenet feeding, along with the obligatory humps and tails on our 2011 whale watch w/Misty Bay Lodge, we were hoping for more of the same. Alas, the whale gods were not smiling on us so much this day, but we still managed to see several whales, just no acrobatics this time:(.

Booked independently with Hope and Capt. Dan of Misty Bay Lodge. I cannot recommend these folks enough - wonderful customer service, friendly, personable, and the nicest folks you'll ever meet. They treat you like family. Google "Misty Bay Lodge", cost was approx. $170/pp for 4 hours.

LVSue, Rhodi, and my friends Donna and John joined me on this whale watch. (No, Michelle didn't come along, she isn't into small boats and isn't very adventurous, so she lives vicariously thru me:D). We tendered to shore, walked up the dock and thru the parking lot to just outside the guard shack where Hope was waiting with big smiles and hugs all around. Hope remembered me from my 2011 whale watch/bear search combo with them, so we briefly relived that trip (they provide an excellent bear search as well if the time of year is right). She showed us points of interest along the mile or so drive along the coast to the lodge located in beautiful downtown Hoonah. We settled up our fare, and she drove us to the dock, where we walked down the pier to meet Capt. Dan to board the 6 passenger catarmarin to begin our day. The boat is large and roomy, plenty of comfortable indoor space with small head (bathroom), kitchen and bunk area, table w/padded bench seats with cookies and beverages for our pleasure. There is a covered aft area that was large enough for all of us to be out there if we wanted, as well as a flying bridge that John and I later climbed up to in order to get some whale photos from a different perspective.

The day was warm and sunny, though out on the water you needed to bundle up to be outside. Capt. Dan warned us that only about 8 humpbacks appeared to be 'back' in Hoonah this May, which was unusual. Normally at this time of year they have up to 20 humpacks at a time.

Reports of a bear along the shore sent us along the coast as we headed out to whale watch country, but we never did see him. Finally we saw spouts in the distance and made our way to our first whale. Again, just humps and tails, but it was still thrilling. Capt. Sean from Glacier Winds and Capt. Floyd from F.I.S.H.E.S. were in constant contact with Dan, so we learned about a pair of whales not too far away. As we approached, we saw the other two boats watching some activity nearby. After surfacing several times, the pair seemed to head for the deep. While the other two boats headed out, we patiently waited and were rewarded with the whales surfacing closer to our boat. I love whale watching, would do it in every Alaskan port if finances allowed, so any day on the water seeking whales is a worthwhile experience for me. We saw several sea lions and sea otters, curious about us and the boat, as well as loads of eagles, and of course, the spectacular Alaskan scenery all around us.

Capt. Dan is full of wonderful stories of life in the sleepy Alaskan town of Hoonah, and we all enjoyed his chatter. Saw approximately 5 whales and spent as much time as we wanted with each sighting. Before too long, it was time to head back to port. While it was a bit disappointing not to have the whale show we'd been fortunate enough to witness on our 2011 trip, we all enjoyed our time on the water in ISP.

Upon returning to the pier, Hope took Sue and Rhodi back to ISP, while Donna, John and I grabbed a bite to eat at Misty Bay Lodge. Donna said the halibut pizza was delicious, and my huckleberry ice cream cone was to die for! Hope gave John and I a tour of the Lodge's accomodations, explaining the new week long package they are offering for those who wish to partake in the 'real' Alaska for a glorious 7 days. You tell them what you want to do - whale watching, fishing, crabbing, hiking, bear searching - whatever your heart desires, each day and they take it from there - all meals and lodging provided in one price. I know my husband would LOVE to do that, so we'll definitely keep it in mind for the future.

I noticed that Hope and Dan had taken our suggestion on the 2011 trip to produce teeshirts for sale, and even used the photo my niece took of a whale tale with the slogan we had suggested "I got some 'tail' at Misty Bay Lodge." Of course I had to get one of those teeshirts as a souvenier!:D

Afterwards, the three of us walked around Hoonah going into a few small shops, and into the village's carving barn to watch an artist as he worked on a totem pole. Really fascinating. Met the town dog who insisted that you throw a stick for him. Anyone would do. Just pick up a stick or a rock or whatever was handy, and our 4-legged friend would retrieve it and bring it back with a wagging tail and a lolling tongue!

After we'd spent some time in Hoonah, Hope gave us a ride back to the cannery building where we wandered the shops and walked along the beach trail out to the campfire the natives had blazing. They provide a bucket of cedar chips for you to throw into the fire, which in their culture means you will one day return. We walked to the bottom of the zipline hoping to see (and hear) a screaming 'passenger' zipping down the mountain, but nope, no victims while we were there! It was a LONG way up, I sure as heck wouldn't do it!

Eagles were everywhere in the spruce trees, along the beach, flying across the water, and even on the pier. Naturally, we saw a whale right there in the harbor not too far off shore! And as we boarded the tender to head back to the ship, a whale surfaced right next to the tender, scaring the bejesus out of the poor soul sitting by that window. What fun!

Once back on board our home away from home, I shared our whale watching experience with Michelle and we sat on our balcony for sail away.

I hated to leave. Hoonah has quickly become one of my favorite places. I know many don't see the appeal of this port, complaining that there is nothing to do there. I on the other hand, see it differently. Not only is it the perfect port to go whale watching, fishing, kayaking, or on a bear search, to me it is a true Alaskan village, the beauty of the place is just stunning, and how can you not be moved by that? You can shop or do any of those other touristy things in Ketchikan or even Juneau, but you can't experience the true Alaskan spirit that can be found in ISP/Hoonah just anywhere, now can you?

Tomorrow is a sea day as we sail toward Anchorage. While it feels like our adventure has only just begun, we're already almost seven days into the trip - How'd THAT happen????:rolleyes:

I like Hoonah and ISP, thought it interesting to sit and watch those coming down the zip line!! I spent some time in the town of Hoonah, and even found a little shop to buy something!! AIP, just to clarify : the nick name for Alberta Quilter, is "Clipper", you and I know how she got that name, but maybe many don't!! I was on the boat launch in Hoonah looking out towards a cemetery on an island, when out of the corner of my eye, I thought I saw a large black bear! it ended up to be a standard poodle!! startled me for a minute!!

The shuttle driver did show us a bear across the water, but it was quite a ways away. Your whale watching trip sounds wonderful!!! I am enjoying your review, so much fun to see Alaska through your eyes, you convey your Love for Alaska so aptly!!

Yes, Carri - perhaps I should explain the "Clipper" reference to Alberta Quilter for those who had not read or participated in our very active Roll Call. During the long, brutal winter I had been watching the weather on the TV while responding to something on the Roll Call (Multi-tasking at its finest;)). The meteorologist noted that an Alberta Clipper was heading toward my area, so my pea brain latched onto "Clipper", and with the 'Alberta' connection, I responded in my post to Alberta 'Clipper' instead of Quilter. And that's all she wrote....

Man....wasn't that also the day john lost his glasses? Poor john had to wear his sunglasses the rest of the trip. Keep it coming Linda, I am really enjoying reliving our trip.

Yes, Carri - perhaps I should explain the "Clipper" reference to Alberta Quilter for those who had not read or participated in our very active Roll Call. During the long, brutal winter I had been watching the weather on the TV while responding to something on the Roll Call (Multi-tasking at its finest;)). The meteorologist noted that an Alberta Clipper was heading toward my area, so my pea brain latched onto "Clipper", and with the 'Alberta' connection, I responded in my post to Alberta 'Clipper' instead of Quilter. And that's all she wrote....

Works for me!! (thought some may have been left behind when we mentioned "Clipper"!! ) enjoying your review!!

Come back AIP, come back. We miss your continuing review

Xoxo

Michelle

yes, yes, Come Back,.... guessing she had to go back to work, I'm sure she won't leave us hangin'.... I was beginning to wonder if I got lost somewhere, so glad you posted for her to come back...... we will wait for you Lynda:)

Sorry folks - I'll be back. I promise! Was out of town on babysitting duty for three days for my newest 8 week old great nephew (Lots of fun, despite poopy diapers and spitting up - the kid is SO cute!). Hopefully I'll get to the next installment tomorrow.

We will hang until you do the next installment, guess you have a life, huh?

(Sung to the tune of 'Gilligan's Island' theme song):

'Across the Gulf to Anchorage the Amsterdam sailed north, the weekend market was our plan and so we ventured forth...and so we ventured forth.'

Sea Day: Hard to believe our trip is 1/2 way done - how'd THAT happen?? Knowing there was no need to rise early for a busy port day, Michelle and I slept in and had a late breakfast in the Lido.

Not being a big fan of sea days (give me the hustle and bustle of a port day anytime, thanx very much), I napped on and off throughout the day, spending some time on our 'porch' searching for whales or visiting our friends on the Dark Side.

This may have been the day we went to the afternoon tea, am I right, Michelle? Had fun there grazing on the munchies and oogling the woman who obviously took this formal tea thing VERY seriously with her large, swirly hat perched precariously on her head, dipping rakishly over one eye. What's up with that:rolleyes:???? Reminiscent of Derby Day or perhaps a British wedding, we wondered if she had a different 'tea hat' for everyday or if this was perhaps a special occassion?

We considered a day pass to the thermal suite or perhaps for me a massage, but alas, it just never happened. Lazy day for sure.

Anchorage: In anticipation of the sail-in to Anchorage, I was up early (well, earlier than even I normally get up - about 4AM), perched on the balcony enjoying the rather unusual sail up Cook Inlet to the port of Anchorage itself. Not many cruiseships make this trip and the first time we did it in 2010, I recall the local TV stations being present at the pier to hail a cruise ship's return to their fair city.

A pretty day ahead, the first thing I noticed was the acrid smell of smoke on the light breeze. I remember commenting to Michelle that someone must have a campfire along the shore but after scouring the beaches w/binoculars, I didn't see anything. Later we'd learn from our shuttle bus driver that a massive wildfire had been burning on the Kenai Peninsula, some 4 1/2 hours to the south.

After another fine omelet in the Lido for me, and a filling breakfast for Michelle, we boarded a shuttle to the De'naina Center in downtown Anchorage. Trying to hear what the bus driver was saying, we and several others around us were annoyed by one of the ship's performers who was obviously debarking the ship for parts unknown, loudly chatting on her cell phone the entire time. We all learned more than we needed (or wanted!) to know about this woman's next job venture and her personal life. Even after someone finally 'shhhused' her, she continued yammering away. There is a time and place for cell phone usage - this was not either. Whatever....

Once we got our bearings we began the short walk toward the Anchorage Weekend Market, stopping here and there along the way. The Market is open from 10AM-6PM every Saturday and Sunday throughout the summer. It is located at West 3rd Ave. and E Street, approximately 1/4 to 1/2 mile from the core of downtown.

The market was bustling with locals enjoying their Sunday of a long holiday weekend. Ash falling from the sky every now and then, along with the smoke smell didn't dampen our spirits as we perused each and every booth methodically and with purpose. Mine was to find a handcrafted ring or other piece of jewelry, and Michelle's was to find some delicious fish and chips - her mission in most Alaskan ports:D! We were successful at both, I might add!

I just love me a good Farmer's Market, and this one did not disappoint. So many lovely and interesting things to look at, a feast for the senses - and dogs galore - right up my alley! Alaskan folks just love their dogs, and it shows.

Ran into John and Donna who had stopped first to view the Aurora Show at the Alaska Center for the Performing Arts located at 6th Avenue. Shows are held on the hour between 9AM and 9PM each day. DH and I had seen this spectacular show in 2013 as stopped in Anchorage after spending several days in Denali National Park and the Matsu Valley, on our way to Homer. We'd highly recommend it for those who enjoy the mystery and beauty of the lights in the sky.

The Aurora show being our next stop, we trekked the few blocks to the theater and purchased our tickets for the show ($12/pp, I believe?). I know Clipper had found this show boring enough to fall asleep (:D) and her Mum didn't appreciate the accompanying music, but personally, I love it and could see it over and over without losing interest. The stunning photographs and videos of the Northern Lights blazing across the sky set to music is somehow both relaxing and exciting to me - all at the same time. Hoping one day to be fortunate enough to see those dancing lights in the night sky over Alaska for myself in the future.

Afterwards, we wandered the shops and lazed in the sunshine in a local park where we were accosted by a person wearing a bunny costume head (just the head part, mind you - no other parts of a bunny costume, unless you count the fuzzy tail pinned to the back of his...or hers? butt). Holding his (or her?) arms wide, the Bunny moved in for a hug. Ahhh, not happening, my friend. With visions of a pickpocket at work, Michelle and I waved the rabbit on, and with a shrug, he (or she?) hopped off into the middle of traffic (Really! hopped right out into traffic!) in downtown Anchorage. Takes all kinds, right? Odd, very odd.

Walking to the Visitor's Center, we boarded the Trolley for a quick tour around town - out to Earthquake Park, Lake Hood, and thru the residential neighborhoods of Anchorage. It was interesting at times, but not something I think I'd do again. The driver's monotone voice sounded rehearsed, with discreetly placed jokes and stories that were obviously his usual schtick. It did pass the time though, and since we had hours to kill, it was a pleasant diversion.

Michelle and I had wanted to - in the worst way - find a way to Seward to visit Dallas Seavey's Iditarod kennel on our long port day in Anchorage, but it was not to be. Try as I might, after endless hours of research, I just couldn't find a reasonably priced and reliable form of transporation to Seward. A car rental would have worked, but we were concerned about making it back in time for sailing since it was a holiday weekend and traffic to and from the Kenai would be difficult. Taking the train would have been ideal, however it leaves Anchorage at 7AM, when our ship was just docking at that time, so we were out of luck. Sigh....another time, I hope.

We returned to the ship after a long day in town, had dinner in the Lido and watched sailaway from our porch, long after the lights of Anchorage faded into the distance.

Next up - a place that has captured my heart, a place that - one day - God willing and the creek don't rise - DH and I will spend our Golden Years - Homer! A quaint little drinking town with a fishing problem - as the locals say.;)

Oh Linda you are making me crack up! I'm glad you are back to posting. How do you remember all of this? Do you keep a journal? I totally forgot about that rabbit. I was reading your review and started cracking up out loud remembering that. HA HA HA HA

Yes the sea day was the day we tried the afternoon tea and the day we saw the lady with the interesting hat!

Luv ya my friend

Michelle

(Sung to the tune of 'Gilligan's Island' theme song):

'Across the Gulf to Anchorage the Amsterdam sailed north, the weekend market was our plan and so we ventured forth...and so we ventured forth.'

Sea Day: Hard to believe our trip is 1/2 way done - how'd THAT happen?? Knowing there was no need to rise early for a busy port day, Michelle and I slept in and had a late breakfast in the Lido.

Not being a big fan of sea days (give me the hustle and bustle of a port day anytime, thanx very much), I napped on and off throughout the day, spending some time on our 'porch' searching for whales or visiting our friends on the Dark Side.

This may have been the day we went to the afternoon tea, am I right, Michelle? Had fun there grazing on the munchies and oogling the woman who obviously took this formal tea thing VERY seriously with her large, swirly hat perched precariously on her head, dipping rakishly over one eye. What's up with that:rolleyes:???? Reminiscent of Derby Day or perhaps a British wedding, we wondered if she had a different 'tea hat' for everyday or if this was perhaps a special occassion?

We considered a day pass to the thermal suite or perhaps for me a massage, but alas, it just never happened. Lazy day for sure.

Anchorage: In anticipation of the sail-in to Anchorage, I was up early (well, earlier than even I normally get up - about 4AM), perched on the balcony enjoying the rather unusual sail up Cook Inlet to the port of Anchorage itself. Not many cruiseships make this trip and the first time we did it in 2010, I recall the local TV stations being present at the pier to hail a cruise ship's return to their fair city.

A pretty day ahead, the first thing I noticed was the acrid smell of smoke on the light breeze. I remember commenting to Michelle that someone must have a campfire along the shore but after scouring the beaches w/binoculars, I didn't see anything. Later we'd learn from our shuttle bus driver that a massive wildfire had been burning on the Kenai Peninsula, some 4 1/2 hours to the south.

After another fine omelet in the Lido for me, and a filling breakfast for Michelle, we boarded a shuttle to the De'naina Center in downtown Anchorage. Trying to hear what the bus driver was saying, we and several others around us were annoyed by one of the ship's performers who was obviously debarking the ship for parts unknown, loudly chatting on her cell phone the entire time. We all learned more than we needed (or wanted!) to know about this woman's next job venture and her personal life. Even after someone finally 'shhhused' her, she continued yammering away. There is a time and place for cell phone usage - this was not either. Whatever....

Once we got our bearings we began the short walk toward the Anchorage Weekend Market, stopping here and there along the way. The Market is open from 10AM-6PM every Saturday and Sunday throughout the summer. It is located at West 3rd Ave. and E Street, approximately 1/4 to 1/2 mile from the core of downtown.

The market was bustling with locals enjoying their Sunday of a long holiday weekend. Ash falling from the sky every now and then, along with the smoke smell didn't dampen our spirits as we perused each and every booth methodically and with purpose. Mine was to find a handcrafted ring or other piece of jewelry, and Michelle's was to find some delicious fish and chips - her mission in most Alaskan ports:D! We were successful at both, I might add!

I just love me a good Farmer's Market, and this one did not disappoint. So many lovely and interesting things to look at, a feast for the senses - and dogs galore - right up my alley! Alaskan folks just love their dogs, and it shows.

Ran into John and Donna who had stopped first to view the Aurora Show at the Alaska Center for the Performing Arts located at 6th Avenue. Shows are held on the hour between 9AM and 9PM each day. DH and I had seen this spectacular show in 2013 as stopped in Anchorage after spending several days in Denali National Park and the Matsu Valley, on our way to Homer. We'd highly recommend it for those who enjoy the mystery and beauty of the lights in the sky.

The Aurora show being our next stop, we trekked the few blocks to the theater and purchased our tickets for the show ($12/pp, I believe?). I know Clipper had found this show boring enough to fall asleep (:D) and her Mum didn't appreciate the accompanying music, but personally, I love it and could see it over and over without losing interest. The stunning photographs and videos of the Northern Lights blazing across the sky set to music is somehow both relaxing and exciting to me - all at the same time. Hoping one day to be fortunate enough to see those dancing lights in the night sky over Alaska for myself in the future.

Afterwards, we wandered the shops and lazed in the sunshine in a local park where we were accosted by a person wearing a bunny costume head (just the head part, mind you - no other parts of a bunny costume, unless you count the fuzzy tail pinned to the back of his...or hers? butt). Holding his (or her?) arms wide, the Bunny moved in for a hug. Ahhh, not happening, my friend. With visions of a pickpocket at work, Michelle and I waved the rabbit on, and with a shrug, he (or she?) hopped off into the middle of traffic (Really! hopped right out into traffic!) in downtown Anchorage. Takes all kinds, right? Odd, very odd.

Walking to the Visitor's Center, we boarded the Trolley for a quick tour around town - out to Earthquake Park, Lake Hood, and thru the residential neighborhoods of Anchorage. It was interesting at times, but not something I think I'd do again. The driver's monotone voice sounded rehearsed, with discreetly placed jokes and stories that were obviously his usual schtick. It did pass the time though, and since we had hours to kill, it was a pleasant diversion.

Michelle and I had wanted to - in the worst way - find a way to Seward to visit Dallas Seavey's Iditarod kennel on our long port day in Anchorage, but it was not to be. Try as I might, after endless hours of research, I just couldn't find a reasonably priced and reliable form of transporation to Seward. A car rental would have worked, but we were concerned about making it back in time for sailing since it was a holiday weekend and traffic to and from the Kenai would be difficult. Taking the train would have been ideal, however it leaves Anchorage at 7AM, when our ship was just docking at that time, so we were out of luck. Sigh....another time, I hope.

We returned to the ship after a long day in town, had dinner in the Lido and watched sailaway from our porch, long after the lights of Anchorage faded into the distance.

Next up - a place that has captured my heart, a place that - one day - God willing and the creek don't rise - DH and I will spend our Golden Years - Homer! A quaint little drinking town with a fishing problem - as the locals say.;)

Homer is one of my favorite places in Alaska, too!! still love the Homer Brewery Chi tea!! hope we don't have to wait too long for your next installment!! Your review is amazing, almost like being there myself!! Thanks.

A big thank you for all the lovely comments and encouragement to continue. I'm 'dancin' as fast as I can!:D Headed up to our cabin this afternoon for a weekend of R&R so I may not be able to continue w/the Homer segment of this review til Monday. Appreciate you all coming along for the ride. Y'all come back now, ya hear?:p

Enjoy your weekend. We'll be here waiting when you come back!!! Happy 4th of July!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Perhaps we will hear more of this cruise during the long weekend!!

HAPPY Canada Day, and....... Happy 4th of July!!!