Disability Rights

omah1975

Please can someone tell me what my rights are as a disabled traveller as regards wheelchair accessible transport on shore excursions. I am booked on a cruise on Emerald Princess from Southampton to Houston, departing on October 25th 2014 and flying home from Houston on the 11th November 2014, calling at Le Havre, Vigo, Lisbon, Ponta Delgado, Bermuda and Fort Lauderdale and finishing in Houston. There are various excursions in each of the ports on the cruise but the only one I am really interested in doing is an excursion to the Space Center in Houston which once done takes us to George Bush Intercontinental Airport for the flight home. There are 3 other excursions for this port, one is the same as the above but going to Hobby Airport, and two city tours en route to each of the two Airports, only one of these city tours provides transport for people in wheelchairs which seems extremely discriminatory to me. I am in contact with Princess here in the UK who have said that all the excursions should be listed on the cruise personalizer by 120 days before departure (as of this post it is 127 days before departure) and that after that date they will speak to Princess in the US to see if there is anything that can be done but surely each excursion should have the provision for people in wheelchairs seeing as the majority of cruise passengers are elderly and more likely to be in a wheelchair.

I'm not a lawyer but have had some training on the ADA Americans with Disabilities Act. The ADA only applies to US ports. As you know other countries have their own laws on access. The cruise lines are not required to provide accessible tours. Of course, the Space Station in Houston is required to be accessible under the ADA. However, the transportation to get you there may or may not be accessible.

I agree with you that many cruise passengers are senior citizens but the cruise lines don't want to run an old folks cruise. The advertising shows slim, glamorous looking people though a few may have gray hair. Gee I can't even get Princess to admit that many of their passengers are hard of hearing and would like to know about the assistive listening systems they have installed but like to keep a secret.

The US Access Board still has not issued final regulations relating to cruise ships but hopes to do so in the next 12 months. They have been working on these for more than 10 years!!!

Good luck.

I too am not any Attorney but am quite active in Disability Advocacy and what the previous person posted it quite accurate.

Suggest that OP continue to communicate with Princess Cruise Lines Shore Excursion Department as well as researching optional private accessible transportation to the Houston Space center. Houston does have wheelchair accessible taxis that have to be ordered in advance which may be an option.

Because you can be sure the Space Center facilities will be accessible the best advice above is to book accessible transport there which fulfills your particular needs. Only you know if you are able to transfer to a sedan seat and your wc stored in the trunk, or if you need a roll on roll off van.

Hope you enjoy your cruise. It is a great itinerary.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I've only been on one tour in a WAV in the last seven years of cruising. Oh, and a free port to town WAV shuttle bus that dropped us off and never came back. Twenty or more chairs and scooters all sitting in the sun and getting progressively more agitated. Not a pretty sight.

Sadly, it is what it is. I sometimes look up in advance if there are wheelchair accessible taxis locally (Sydney is terrific for this), then book transport. Sometimes, it even works out cheaper than the pricey ships' tours.

I got a rough quote from Yellow Taxis of Houston who wanted $116 to transport me and my carer from the port to the airport, the official Princess excursion that includes transport from the port, entry to the Space Center and then transport to the airport afterwards costs $99.

I got a rough quote from Yellow Taxis of Houston who wanted $116 to transport me and my carer from the port to the airport, the official Princess excursion that includes transport from the port, entry to the Space Center and then transport to the airport afterwards costs $99.

Not certain if you are posing a question or just making a statement ?

Booking private transportation is generally always going to cost more . The Taxi company is NOT required by ADA Law to match the price of the Princess Excursion.

Princess' price is determined on volume pricing beginning with the fact that the tour bus most likely holds a minimum of 45 passengers. The entry cost to the museum is the least expense calculated into Princess' pricing and that too is discounted. You can receive a similar discount on the museum entry fee by pre-purchasing you ticket on-line.

If you want an all inclusive price with accessible transportation than you'll have to search the internet to see if such a tour is available.

That sounds about right for a taxi going from the ports to Bush Airport -- would be a little cheaper to Hobby because Hobby is much closer to the Port of Galveston.

I deal with the ADA/DOJ and Access laws in my everyday life.

You are entering a cruise ship from a USA Port therefor they must abide by USA Law.

Once your ship starts gliding into International Waters the rules change. Now, since your already onboard their ship they're going to protect and abide by the laws of which they debarked [on the ship.] Here's where it gets messy! Now they're putting down their anchors in a "foreign port." They and YOU must abide by the laws in that port or country that they've docked in. Immigration authorities will set the laws and regulations for EVERYONE on board the ship. They DO NOT HAVE TO ABIDE BY THE ADA/DOJ OR USA ACCESS LAWS. They do NOT have to permit anyone with a walker/wheelchair or who can not walk on their own accord ashore! They may not want the responsibility.

Is it smart of them economically to set such laws prohibiting the aforementioned people from coming ashore, NO! But, they don't have to take care of you. It's up to their discretion to be congenial and inviting, or not.

You MUST do your homework on the ports that the ship is visiting and see what their reputation is for people with special needs. Shop wisely and accordingly.

Happy cruising!

Edited by wizard-of-roz