Packing Tips...

landre1020

I have been told to use tissue paper or dry cleaning bags to help minimize wrinkling of clothing when packing. I have, also, used nothing. If I pack leaving clothes unfolded with smaller items (underwear, soft shoes, etc) in the middle then folding the larger clothes over the smaller ones, I can minimize wrinkling this way, as well. Of course, clothes that do not wrinkle because of the fabric used, is a big plus.

This upcoming trip includes three separate legs of a journey - eastbound transatlantic, London for eight days, then westbound transatlantic. I'm thinking same clothes, for the most part (need three formal outfits for the ship) I'd say the same clothes for all three legs...

What sort of packing guidelines do others use?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have been told to use tissue paper or dry cleaning bags to help minimize wrinkling of clothing when packing. I have, also, used nothing. If I pack leaving clothes unfolded with smaller items (underwear, soft shoes, etc) in the middle then folding the larger clothes over the smaller ones, I can minimize wrinkling this way, as well. Of course, clothes that do not wrinkle because of the fabric used, is a big plus.

This upcoming trip includes three separate legs of a journey - eastbound transatlantic, London for eight days, then westbound transatlantic. I'm thinking same clothes, for the most part (need three formal outfits for the ship) I'd say the same clothes for all three legs...

What sort of packing guidelines do others use?

Thanks.

This sounds like a wonderful trip. One suggestion that helps manage clothing is to use 2-gallon ziplock bags to pack everything but the larger items. I've used your way of laying out the large things, putting the smaller stuff in the middle, and wrapping the larger things around. By having shirts, sweaters, underwear, etc in the baggies, I find there is less shifting around in transit. Also, when you get to where you're going, just toss the baggies into the drawer and take things out as you need them.

You didn't say if it's just you or if you're traveling as a couple. Depending on how much clothing will be worn only on the crossings, consider leaving one suitcase with Cunard for the time you're in London. We did that years ago with a similar itinerary. It made the land portion of the trip easier to manage.

That was back in the days of QE2, when the baggage master held the extra case for us on board. They don't do that now, but I think they have a service where they put your case into storage on land and bring it back for you when you return. It would be worth contacting Cunard to find out. A sturdy garment bag (the kind that will stand up like a suitcase when it's zipped closed) might be the best way to handle shipboard clothing.

Another storage option is to find somewhere in Soton to leave the excess clothes for a week. I think people have posted about doing that, but I never have so I can't help you on that one.

This sounds like a wonderful trip. One suggestion that helps manage clothing is to use 2-gallon ziplock bags to pack everything but the larger items. I've used your way of laying out the large things, putting the smaller stuff in the middle, and wrapping the larger things around. By having shirts, sweaters, underwear, etc in the baggies, I find there is less shifting around in transit. Also, when you get to where you're going, just toss the baggies into the drawer and take things out as you need them.

You didn't say if it's just you or if you're traveling as a couple. Depending on how much clothing will be worn only on the crossings, consider leaving one suitcase with Cunard for the time you're in London. We did that years ago with a similar itinerary. It made the land portion of the trip easier to manage.

That was back in the days of QE2, when the baggage master held the extra case for us on board. They don't do that now, but I think they have a service where they put your case into storage on land and bring it back for you when you return. It would be worth contacting Cunard to find out. A sturdy garment bag (the kind that will stand up like a suitcase when it's zipped closed) might be the best way to handle shipboard clothing.

Another storage option is to find somewhere in Soton to leave the excess clothes for a week. I think people have posted about doing that, but I never have so I can't help you on that one.

you are correct in the third paragraph. Cunard will store you excess luggage for you while you are enjoying your holiday. There is a charge for the service (DUH!) We did this 2 years ago, when we left a bag with Cunard for about 5 weeks. Sometime during your crossing go to the purser, they will have the information you need, plus the forms to be filled out, nothing more than another baggage tag with cruise #, date and cabin #, as I recall. You then leave the baggage out before you go to bed the night before disembarkation. The baggage will be gone before you awake, and will magically be outside your cabin when you re-embark.

Have a great trip!

Eagle Creek Packet Folders are the finest things since butlers and ladies maids.

Once you gethe hang of using them the way shirts pants etc come out of the case in the cabin is amazing.

Im even not getting paid for this.

David.

Thanks for the replies! My packing plan was going to be clothes in one case, shoes in another. The more I think about it, the more I realize I'm packing for three one week trips. Though two of them involve formal wear, and the other one not quite as casual during the day as might be on board (nice shorts, etc) - looking at summer shifts for museum browsing... I've done three garden tours where strict instructions for day wear were very much recommended. The first time I was rather puzzled as to why, but once there, I understood. One was treated better. So, not sure I'll be leaving any luggage in storage - would certainly be nice! Getting excited! Now just to get back my suitcase being repaired!! It will be a busy weekend! I'm using White Star pick up, they come on Thursday.

Landre

My DH and I are doing a similar trip this Oct. We are 7 nights QM2 to England, then 10 days in England and Wales then 12 night TA back to Ft. Lauderdale on Oasis. I'm thinking we will leave our larger 28" bag (with our formal wear etc) in storage in Southampton during our land travel via train to make things easier. I am really going to try to stick with a capsule wardrobe around black, But I tend to be an over packer... I'm also seeking ways to eliminate wrinkles!

Debbie

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk HD