Cozumel with a 4 year old

manazca

We are going on our first cruise ever in August (my husband,myself and our 4-y old). I did read quite a bit on these boards but feel overwhelmed :(

What would you suggest for our day in Cozumel?

I was looking into a day at the beach that would work for our daughter. Is Playa Mia the best option (in terms of activities, sand, water) or should we go to Chankanaab? Or another beach? I like the AI idea.

I was also interested in the tour that includes the ruins and the beach but it only starts at 11am. Should we look into snorkeling (never done it before ...) or dolphins? Any suggestions are gratefully welcomed.

Also, what happens if we buy an excursion and it is raining that day? Should I wait for example and take a cab to Playa Mia that morning? Thanks!

Your 4-year old will likely hate the ruins, and the ruins on Coz are nothing special; the ruins at Tulum are interesting, but that is a LONG day (ferry to PDC and bus to Tulum, etc.) and an expensive tour.

What 4-year old would not love a day at the beach? :confused: I would focus on either Playa Mia (AI plus water park) or Paradise Beach (pay-as-you-go plus huge pool and nice beach). Chank charges an admission fee (about $20/adult) and your little one is likely too small to appreciate/participate in the dolphin and other activities.

Good luck! :)

Just don't get stuck doing anything on the mainland. That would require a sometimes very rough ferry ride, round trip and probably would ruin your time. Also transportation is not like back home, roads are poorly maintained and drivers somewhat crazy. It may be difficult to find a car seat to keep your baby safe.

Walk around the Town Square in Cozumel and look in the local shops. You can always pick up a cheap toy or two to keep your child busy and there are plenty of places to grab a treat for both kids and adults. The local beaches (not always sandy) are beautiful and the water crystal clear and nearly every hotel has one. In Cozumel nearly everyone is bi-lingual so communicating is easy. The locals are generally friendly and helpful. If you plan on spending much money, I recommend going to a bank to exchange your dollars for Pesos. They offer the best rate possibly 10% or more over a local shop.

Last thing is use plenty of sunblock. The sun is super strong even if it's overcast. Have fun

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Someone posted a review with great pics of the Playa Mia waterpark. It's deigned for younger children and looks perfect for a four year old.http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1851647&page=8

Thanks. It is actually one of her reviews that got me thinking about Chab and dolphins as well :)

So you guys think Playa Mia is better than Mr. Sanchos for this age? Does Playa Mia get too crowded?

Yes, Playa Mia is better for a 4 year old than Mr Sanchos. Mr Sanchos is basically just the ocean and a pool. There are the water toys out in the ocean, but probably not something a 4 year old would be able to do since it involves some heavy duty climbing and in the deeper water. Playa Mia has the kiddie water park area that most little ones enjoy (plus the beach, 2 pools, playground and so on). :)