Off-ship Excursions in Skagway?

callmecrazy

This will be my second time to Alaska and the last time I went, I just booked my own excursions in Juneau right off the port. They were fantastic and reasonably priced.

But this time I'll be going to Skagway and I'm wondering if there are local tour operators running their own excursions there as well, particularly the White Pass Rail into the Yukon.

Appreciate feedback from those who have booked off-ship in Skagway. Thanks!

The local Visitors Bureau Web sites are the place to look - in the case of Skagway, that's http://skagway.com/ If they're not listed on a site like that, you need to question their legitimacy. Chilkoot is certainly one of the biggest of the independents in Skagway - I was very pleased with my rail/bus tour with them a few years ago.

But this time I'll be going to Skagway and I'm wondering if there are local tour operators running their own excursions there as well, particularly the White Pass Rail into the Yukon.

We have booked the White Pass Railroad ourselves right at the train station in town, waiting until the day we were there to decide.

They offer a number of different train trips, so it would be a good idea to check them out in advance to figure out which trip you want. You may need to book the longer trips in advance.

In addition to the train rides alone, they offer a number of combination tours with motorcoach connections.

Here are some links:

Motorcoach Connections include:

Skagway-Whitehorse Train/Bus Connection (Via Carcross)

Skagway-Carcross Round Trip Rail/Bus Combo

Skagway-Whitehorse Train/Bus Connection (Via Fraser)

All Trips via Fraser

All Trips via Carcross & Bennett

Whitehorse to Skagway One Day Combo

If you book your excursion through the cruise line, you typically pay more to have the convenience of boarding the train right by the cruise ship dock.

That may be the better choice for someone with mobility issues.

If you book on your own, you board at the train station in town.

Since most people want to go into town anyway, that is really not an inconvenience for them.

If you want to wait until you get there to decide, I suggest calling them in advance that morning for time schedules and availability that day.

Several people have remarked that the trains booked through the ship are more crowded than the trains people book at the train station on their own.

We just got back from Alaska. We booked this trip with Royal Caribbean and were not sorry. The tour picked us up right outside the ship and we were brought right back to the ship after or you could stop for shopping. This is a fantastic trip, we took the train up and the bus back. Don't forget your passport as you travel in to Canada. We had lots of photo opportunities on the ride up, the tour host on the train provides lots of interesting information, and on the bus ride back we saw lots of animals, stopped at the Welcome to Alaska sign for a photo and the bus driver provided great information on the city and tour back to the ship. You won't be sorry.

With your "train to YUKON" reference are you looking at the Lake Bennett train? OR are you referring to the Fraser/White Pass train? BIG difference.

It is a mistake to wait until you get there if you are thinking about any combo tour. These leave in the morning, many independents are already full.

This plan works ok if doing just the train or a train/summit combo (won't get into the Yukon)

But if you already know you want this tour, why wouldn't you book this ahead?

....But if you already know you want this tour, why wouldn't you book this ahead?
Good question, and I think I can provide one answer as someone who sometimes travels with a companion who has debilitating health problems, good days and bad days.

The person may want to wait to see how s/he is feeling that day before deciding how active or long an excursion to take, or whether to participate in any activities at all that day, or just remain on the ship.

That is a major advantage of cruising for someone with health issues, having your comfortable bedroom and access to food and beverages and bathroom whenever you want them traveling right along with you, unlike a motor coach land tour where you need to drag yourself out of bed at the crack of dawn, pack up your suitcase and be ready to board the bus at 7 or 8 am no matter how crappy you may be feeling that day.

Edited by fleckle

I just returned last week from my Alaska cruise. We booked the White Pass/Yukon excursion (train up, mini bus back) with Chilkoot Charters and were VERY pleased!

They picked us up from the dock & drove us to the train (tho it was short enough we could've walked!)

We rode the train up to Fraser where we transferred to the mini bus to continue up into the Yukon. We went all the way up to Bennett Lake with many stops along the way, including Emerald Lake & lunch at Caribou Crossing.

It was nice to be in the small mini bus vs, the big charter buses we saw the ships using!

Our guide/driver would ask us where we'd like to stop for pics, and kept us ahead of the swarming charter bus crowds!

It was AWESOME & was about $20/pp cheaper than the most similar ship excursion! It included all transportation, lunch, admission to the wildlife museum, and a visit with the sled dogs (and there were puppies!:D)

When we returned to Skagway, we could choose if we wanted to be dropped off in town, or be taken back to the ship. We chose to be dropped off in town, as we still had plenty of time to explore!

I was very pleased with this excursion & highly recommend Chilkoot!

Edited by PegB87

The OP is asking about excursions booked AT THE PIER. Did you pre-book or wait until you got to the pier ?

I pre-booked, not at the pier, but it wasn't through the ship, either.

There was discussion about ship excursions/independents &/or Chilkoot, so thought I'd throw in my 2cents.

I was just trying to be helpful!

Sorry for 'muddying the waters'. :(

I pre-booked, not at the pier, but it wasn't through the ship, either.

There was discussion about ship excursions/independents &/or Chilkoot, so thought I'd throw in my 2cents.

I was just trying to be helpful!

Sorry for 'muddying the waters'. :(

No worries. Any bit of information is helpful to someone, right ?

P.S. Sounds like you had a great trip. Can you post a trip report for us? Doesn't have to be a photo journal; just a few paragraphs about your itinerary and activities would be helpful.

Edited by mapleleaves
p.s.

I just returned last week from my Alaska cruise. We booked the White Pass/Yukon excursion (train up, mini bus back) with Chilkoot Charters and were VERY pleased!

They picked us up from the dock & drove us to the train (tho it was short enough we could've walked!)

We rode the train up to Fraser where we transferred to the mini bus to continue up into the Yukon. We went all the way up to Bennett Lake with many stops along the way, including Emerald Lake & lunch at Caribou Crossing.

It was nice to be in the small mini bus vs, the big charter buses we saw the ships using!

Our guide/driver would ask us where we'd like to stop for pics, and kept us ahead of the swarming charter bus crowds!

It was AWESOME & was about $20/pp cheaper than the most similar ship excursion! It included all transportation, lunch, admission to the wildlife museum, and a visit with the sled dogs (and there were puppies!:D)

When we returned to Skagway, we could choose if we wanted to be dropped off in town, or be taken back to the ship. We chose to be dropped off in town, as we still had plenty of time to explore!

I was very pleased with this excursion & highly recommend Chilkoot!

Who and how much tip did you tip on the tour? Did you pet the husky puppies? Have lunch while on the tour?

We didn't have the deepest discretionary pockets when it came to excursions, and felt many of them were overpriced. (We did go whale watching in Juneau) so in Skagway we asked a local and she suggested hiking to the cemetery and Reid's Falls.

It was a great decision, a quiet time alone with my wife.

Who and how much tip did you tip on the tour? Did you pet the husky puppies? Have lunch while on the tour?

We tipped James, our minibus driver/guide, $10 each (I was traveling w/ my friend, so we paid/tipped separately), and stuck a few bucks in the tip jar at Caribou Crossing.

Yes! We did pet the husky puppies! You can also buy (on the honor system) dog treats for a quarter ea. to feed to the big dogs.

Lunch at Caribou Crossing was included in the tour cost. We were served bbq chicken, baked potato, cole slaw, donuts, & coffee or tea. They also had sodas & beer for sale.

No worries. Any bit of information is helpful to someone, right ?

P.S. Sounds like you had a great trip. Can you post a trip report for us? Doesn't have to be a photo journal; just a few paragraphs about your itinerary and activities would be helpful.

I suppose I can write a trip report, though it will be my first, so you'll have to forgive me if it's not up to par!:D I'll try to post one in the next couple of days.

I'd LOVE to share my pics, too, if only I could figure out how to do that....:rolleyes:

We tipped James, our minibus driver/guide, $10 each (I was traveling w/ my friend, so we paid/tipped separately), and stuck a few bucks in the tip jar at Caribou Crossing.

Yes! We did pet the husky puppies! You can also buy (on the honor system) dog treats for a quarter ea. to feed to the big dogs.

Lunch at Caribou Crossing was included in the tour cost. We were served bbq chicken, baked potato, cole slaw, donuts, & coffee or tea. They also had sodas & beer for sale.

Thanks for your reply. Did you tip anyone on the train?

I suppose I can write a trip report, though it will be my first, so you'll have to forgive me if it's not up to par!:D I'll try to post one in the next couple of days.

I'd LOVE to share my pics, too, if only I could figure out how to do that....:rolleyes:

I can barely download my photos so I can't offer any advice, sorry !!

Ask arymay; she's got quite the photojournal going. (and no, you don't need to compete with her. Just a paragraph or 2 would be great.)

I just used Beyond Skagway based on Trip Advisor and Cruise Critic reports. I am not particularly a fan of trains. We were able to stop at many places to hop out and take pictures, see mountain goats, check for moose, and we got all the way to Emerald Lake. Beyond Skagway does have a combo with the train but I was extremely happy with our tour. I am sure this has to be booked ahead.

Edited by slix1

Thanks for your reply. Did you tip anyone on the train?

No. No one on the train really provided personal service that I thought would necessitate tipping. I didn't see anyone else tip either.