New Menus?

airlinerob

There has been no official word about the new menu's being available on other ships. When asked all John will say is that they are still reviewing the feedback from the four ships that have the new menu's, and that they are continuing to tweak the selections.

I know that they have brought back several soups, shrimp cocktail and have changed the layout of the menu to eliminate the "For the Table" suggestion and just have those items as a regular appetizer selection.

However, I think they are still trying to serve appetizers to be shared if several people at the table order the same thing, and if you ask to be served an individual portion they will but do so reluctantly.

I spoke with a ship's officer on Ecstasy a few weeks ago regarding this. I have to put on my journalist hat right now and say that I cannot reveal who it was, but this person is definitely in a position to know what's really going on.

Right now, the American Table/Feast program is 'on hold' while it is being re-evaluated from top to bottom. There are two reasons for this: first, passenger feedback has been split over the *content* of the menus, with about half finding that the choices fit their needs and expectations and half saying that there isn't enough choice and that the choices are too pedestrian. Carnival is attempting to answer these concerns by 'tweaking' (read: adding back) the items that people say they missed the most from the old menus. It is important to note that the 'new menus' don't actually have anything new on them. They are a subset of the 'old menus' with minor adjustments to some dishes (substitution of risotto for mashed potatoes with lobster, for example) and some name changes.

The second issue, and the one that's causing lots of heated discussion at Corporate, is that passenger response to the procedural changes in the dining rooms has been running about 65% negative. The more casual table settings on American Table nights and the reduction in personal service (fewer servers, communal breadboxes, etc.) are the primary reasons given for dissatisfaction.

This has translated into a reduction in liquor revenue in the dining rooms as well. Fewer people are dining in the MDR each cruise (down by about 10% according to 'my source'), gravitating to the buffet or Enhanced venues (BlueIguana, Guy's). Those that do dine in the MDR are less likely to order pre-, during or post- dinner drinks. He wouldn't say HOW much liquor sales are off, but apparently it's a big enough number that they're really worried.

Right now, the discussion at Corporate is about what to do NEXT. It's commonly acknowledged that the American Table/Feast concept as it was originally introduced is a failure. Some want to revert to the old menus immediately, but there's a lot of resistance to that as it would be a public acknowledgement of that failure. Others are agitating to come up with a new, third program to replace both the American Table/Feast AND the 'old menus' and a third, rather vocal minority have a professional and personal investment in AT/F and are urging that Carnival 'stay the course'.

In the meantime, no new ships. I'll be on Valor starting tomorrow and will attempt to get updated information.

Edited by Writerfl

We were on the Inspiration in February and May.

The not only have menus items been added but the recipes themselves have been tweaked.

I see the main problem for the waiters is the amount of trips to the galley. Last cruise instead of four plates of entrees, four plates of entrees and at least two sides. That's six plates instead of four. Theoretically they're only allowed to carry 12 plates on a tray.

If the normal station has 24 seats that's an extra couple of trips to the galley.