Marriott brand near Montreal cruiseport

Moriah

I'm sailing on Maasdam out of Montreal in a couple of weeks, and will be arriving the evening before. I have some free night certificates for level 1-5 Marriott hotels and I would like to use one of them for that night. Any recommendation for a Marriott near the cruiseport, or that has a shuttle to the port? Also, does anyone know the latest boarding time? I could alternatively arrive in Montreal around 3 PM.. would that be enough time to get to the ship? Thanks in advance!

I'm sailing on Maasdam out of Montreal in a couple of weeks, and will be arriving the evening before. I have some free night certificates for level 1-5 Marriott hotels and I would like to use one of them for that night. Any recommendation for a Marriott near the cruiseport, or that has a shuttle to the port? Also, does anyone know the latest boarding time? I could alternatively arrive in Montreal around 3 PM.. would that be enough time to get to the ship? Thanks in advance!

We stayed at Springhill Suites in Old Montreal. Very nice place, good size rooms for a metro area and great staff. Free breakfast. No shuttle, but it is so close to the pier that you COULD walk it (about 1/2 mile?) or its a very short cab ride.

DaveOKC

Edited by DaveOKC

DO NOT plan to arrive at the ship at 3:00 PM. If there is anything that goes wrong, you are quite likely to miss the sailing. The stress of embarkation day is already bad enough without adding the potential for more.

I can't help you with your hotel. I can say that it isn't necessary to be near the port though, so expand the area you're looking at.

When I stayed overnight before my cruise last year, my hotel was out by the airport. It was a short cab ride to the port.

Thanks! I looked at the Marriott site and found the Courtyard Downtown - I usually like the Courtyard brand. I put it into maps and see it's less than a mile to the cruise port (can this be? Is the port that close to downtown?) At any rate, I think you are right, Ruth, it doesn't really have to be close. Cab ride over to the ship around 11 AM is much less nerve racking than arriving the night before. I'm coming in on Greyhound from Vermont - I'll take a cab to the Courtyard the evening before, and cab to ship morning of. Does this sound like a good plan? The Greyhound terminal also seems to be only about a mile away from the hotel. Now I'm nervous (I'll be on my own) about finding an English speaking cab driver from the bus station to the hotel at around 10 PM... sigh...

Edited by Moriah

Thanks! I looked at the Marriott site and found the Courtyard Downtown - I usually like the Courtyard brand. I put it into maps and see it's less than a mile to the cruise port (can this be? Is the port that close to downtown?) At any rate, I think you are right, Ruth, it doesn't really have to be close. Cab ride over to the ship around 11 AM is much less nerve racking than arriving the night before. I'm coming in on Greyhound from Vermont - I'll take a cab to the Courtyard the evening before, and cab to ship morning of. Does this sound like a good plan? The Greyhound terminal also seems to be only about a mile away from the hotel. Now I'm nervous (I'll be on my own) about finding an English speaking cab driver from the bus station to the hotel at around 10 PM... sigh...

The port is in Old Montreal and close to the downtown area. My advice - write the address of the hotel on a slip of paper and hand it to the cabbie.

DaveOKC

Edited by DaveOKC

Yes, I think it's a decent plan. Just ask the cabbie if he speaks English, and follow Dave's suggestion to have the name/address of the hotel printed on a piece of paper.

You should be fine. I travel alone all the time; it just takes practice to get used to it. You shouldn't be too far out of your comfort zone going from Vermont to Montreal.

Yes, I think it's a decent plan. Just ask the cabbie if he speaks English, and follow Dave's suggestion to have the name/address of the hotel printed on a piece of paper.

You should be fine. I travel alone all the time; it just takes practice to get used to it. You shouldn't be too far out of your comfort zone going from Vermont to Montreal.

THANK YOU!! I'm really getting excited now!

Don't worry about finding a cab driver that speaks English. You will arrive at the bus terminal and they are used to tourists. They may not be fluently bilingual but almost everyone in Montreal knows basic English. However, be sure to look on google map the way to the hotel so that he does not take you on a ride like some cab drivers do with tourists!

I know that I am biased since I live in Montreal but you should come even 2 days before if you have another free nights. We have a beautiful city with great restaurants and you will be downtown and be able to walk almost everywhere before you leave for the cruiseship.

Have a great cruise!

Don't worry about finding a cab driver that speaks English. You will arrive at the bus terminal and they are used to tourists. They may not be fluently bilingual but almost everyone in Montreal knows basic English. However, be sure to look on google map the way to the hotel so that he does not take you on a ride like some cab drivers do with tourists!

I know that I am biased since I live in Montreal but you should come even 2 days before if you have another free nights. We have a beautiful city with great restaurants and you will be downtown and be able to walk almost everywhere before you leave for the cruiseship.

Have a great cruise!

Great advice .... google the route ... print it out ... circle the hotel and the port .... make sure the driver sees it and you should not have any problem ... we have found most speak English. This advice would work in any city where English is not the mother tongue. ... Love the Maasdam ... enjoy your cruise.

Thank you all so much! I've printed out the maps and the address of the hotel - I even found the address written in French and printed that out too. I'll be taking my first Greyhound bus ride since college (and that was a loooooong time ago LOL!) I really appreciate all the advice from the forum! I'm getting super-excited. I have visited Montreal before (but never by bus and never alone), and will again, but this time I will have to arrive the evening before the cruise. This is my first time doing it all solo... hmmm I might start a thread about THAT! Thanks again everyone!

We stayed at the Springhill Suites. It is about a block and a half from St. Paul Street, which is a great place to dine and drink. Lots of restaurants. The hotel is also about three or four blocks from the Cathedral. Great location.

Thank you all so much! I've printed out the maps and the address of the hotel - I even found the address written in French and printed that out too. I'll be taking my first Greyhound bus ride since college (and that was a loooooong time ago LOL!) I really appreciate all the advice from the forum! I'm getting super-excited. I have visited Montreal before (but never by bus and never alone), and will again, but this time I will have to arrive the evening before the cruise. This is my first time doing it all solo... hmmm I might start a thread about THAT! Thanks again everyone!

Don't worry about language. I've lived in Montreal my whole life and don't speak French. By law you will be served in stores and restaurants in French. Just reply in English and you'll be spoken back to in English.

I do think the merchants in Old Montreal are a bit more friendly toward English speaking patrons since they make their living off of tourists. Just my perception and based upon others who have stayed in the business district vs Old Montreal.

DaveOKC

If you're talking about the Courtyard Marriott at 380 Rene-Levesque Blvd, we stayed there the night before our 14 June sailing on the Maasdam. Very nice hotel overall and only a few blocks walk from the old section of town. It is also across the street from a large shopping mall and a grocery store (convenient to pick up a couple bottles of wine to take on board). You could walk to the port, but it is a little uphill and would not be pleasant with luggage. We took a cab which was less than $10.

Edited by trabeler