A review: Norwegian Dawn, June 13-20

dpg9300

An introduction:

I see people occasionally ask "why post a review here" instead of in the “Review” section. For me, I prefer to post where others can ask questions or make comments. I like to hear what others have to say, too.

We are a family of three (hubby, me, and 10-year-old daughter) from the US Midwest. We sailed on the Dawn from 6/13-20 with a couple of days of sightseeing in Boston before the cruise and an evening in Niagara Falls after. If you have questions, I will do my best to answer. :) Here’s what I remember:

First, we stayed at the Embassy Suites, Logan Airport. I reserved through stay123. I won’t use either again. I used Trinity before and I think I’ll stick with them in the future. I reserved a 2-bed room. When I checked in, we were given a king. I showed the clerk my reservation for a double, and she blamed stay123. I contacted stay123 and they blamed Embassy Suites. Normally, I would take what I get and shut up – life is too short to fuss about everything that goes a little off-plan. However, there were three of us, so I REALLY wanted that other bed. I was told there were no doubles available and nothing they could do, so one of us slept on a bad sofa bed (cigarette burns in the cushions was just the beginning – yuck) in a tiny hotel room that faced out on a dirty, loud construction site. Some of that is not the hotel’s fault, of course, but it was an unpleasant stay and the front desk staffers just had an “I don’t care” attitude. I don’t think that trying to receive the room-type we reserved is really asking them to go above and beyond, but they let me know that they really didn’t want to be bothered. So they have their wish – I will never bother them again. The breakfast was very nice and the shuttle drivers were great, but not enough to make up for the rest.

Boston! Now that’s another story. We loved Boston! Such a cool city (literally, too, it was a little chillier than we expected). Lots of fun stuff to do, lots of good seafood, lots of colorful personality and lots of neat history. We really enjoyed the part of our stay that happened outside of our hotel. We chose the Old Town Trolley to get around and found it to be a very good deal for the price. We had dinner at the Union Oyster House, which was fun, and the clam chowder and lobster roll were fantastic!

We decided to take the Silver Line to the terminal to save a few dollars. Besides the hotel choice, this was dumbest thing I did the whole trip. Having lived in DC for years, public transportation is usually pretty easy for us to navigate, but the whole “free Silver Line to the Port” thing just did not work out for us. First, it wasn’t free. It was $2.50/person. Not a fortune, but also not worth it. The bus was packed, there was no easy way to carry large luggage on and off, and the drivers did not give us good information about where to go. I have a feeling there might be a way to do it for free, but our driver dropped us (and yes, we told her where we were headed) at a stop where we’d have to pay. We took a cab back after the trip, and it cost only $15 more than the bus. SO worth it!

We arrived at the port around 11a and we were eating lunch by 12:15 (I think). I don’t know if the dining room was opened, because when I asked the assistant CD, he didn’t know. Just an aside here…is anyone else tired of hearing that from people who are paid to be helpful? I realize that sometimes, you just don’t know. But shouldn’t he know where people can go to get lunch at lunch time? Am I really the only person to ask that question? I know I’m sounding fussy, but it’s just such an obvious brush-off sometimes. It’s frustrating.

So we went to the buffet and since we were in the first 200 or so guests to arrive, it was pretty nice and quiet. The food was good, but the atmosphere is like a hospital cafeteria. We dined at the Venetian, Aqua, Moderno, La Cucina, and the buffet on this trip. I don’t recall that we ever had anything bad (well, once, but I’ll get to that later). Some things were a little bland for our taste, but we like spicy foods, so we kind of expect that on a cruise. Two suggestions I’d make to the chef: One, not every dessert is meant to be gelatin-based, and two, a tiny bit of salt never killed anyone! I felt that the quality of the food was quite good, considering what they have to work with. For some reason, the desserts just always look so pretty and almost always taste like unflavored gelatin. The tiramisu was pretty good, and there was a decadent double chocolate cake (on the same night as the tiramisu, of course!), but those are the only standouts for me. The surf and turf was in the main dining room on the very first night. I thought I recalled that it was usually the first sea day, so that’s a change. It was very good and a nice way to begin our first evening.

The seas appeared pretty calm, but the ship moved a lot more than we’re used to. We took one other trip on the Atlantic, and that was also rockier than usual, but not as much as this. It didn’t bother us at all, but it was noticeable most of the time.

The Dawn is relatively old, but they try to keep it nice. The carpet was recently updated, the pool was just re-finished (more on that later, too), and I saw people cleaning and renovating a lot this week. It’s amazing to me how much the crew can accomplish even while the ship is full of passengers.

The shows we saw were the Welcome show on the first evening, the Second City show in the Stardust, the acrobat/aerialist show, and Tim Kaminski’s afternoon matinee show. The second city show was not funny to us. About half of the stuff would have been if we hadn’t already seen it on the Star two years ago. The other half just wasn’t funny. That’s so subjective, I know, but that was our opinion. Tim Kaminski was quite funny and quick on his feet. We enjoyed him a lot. Those of you preparing to cruise on the Dawn will see someone else, though, as Tim said this was his last week before vacation, then off to a different ship.

Those who don’t wish to read less-than-favorable opinions about their beloved NCL crews may wish to skip this section…otherwise, get ready. I have read that NCL was pulling their more seasoned crew members from other ships to address the issues they were experiencing on some of the newer, larger ships. I don’t know if that’s true or not, but it wouldn’t be hard for me to believe after this trip. Our steward was nice and kept things clean and neat. We didn’t have any special expectations, and he didn’t do anything special, so we were satisfied. The place I noticed something different from the norm was mostly with the entertainment staff and the kids club counselors. It’s hard to put to words exactly what was off, so I’ll give a couple of examples. At the sail-away party, it was a little drizzly, so people were standing around under cover mostly. The DJ started to play some music about 20 minutes after the party was to have started, and the dancers moved out into the area by the pool and danced with each other. They were talking and laughing and sort of all over one another, and some were complaining about the rain and their hair. But not one of them was making any attempt to interact with guests. I get it, they’re all young and beautiful and they love each other, but it was very much their private party that everyone else was allowed to watch.

The kids counselors had sort of the same vibe. They often placed all of the children in the same room (3-12 year olds) and my daughter said this was because the guy in charge of the little kids just wanted to flirt with the girls in charge of the older kids. I didn’t see this happen, so am only reporting my kid’s observation, but she’s a pretty smart cookie, and what I did see did not lead me to believe she was wrong. At the family white hot party, the counselors danced around with each other, and only two of about 10 of them made any effort to get the kids involved. It was just like the sail-away, with everyone standing around watching the employees party together. As for me, that’s where I’m happiest, on the sidelines watching, but some of the kids were obviously waiting for a little push, and the counselors just weren’t into that as much as they were each other. Finally, with about 20 minutes left, the kids and parents were included in the party, but it just didn’t seem that a lot of thought went into this.

This staff was very young, for the most part, and sometimes that showed in ways that weren’t favorable. I’m not used to seeing a dining staff member off in a corner with the entertainment staff while one of them is supposed to be at work. That’s the kind of thing we saw more than once here. It was a different experience than we’re used to. And like a lot of you, I take the criticisms on here with a grain of salt, mostly because I’ve traveled enough to see how hard most in the industry work, and how unpleasant some guests can be. But I promise, my hubby and I are usually easy to please, sober, considerate and good tippers (who leave on auto-tips ;) )

:eek: Now, having said THAT…we did end up at guest services with a complaint. On the night of the White Hot Party, our room was loud. We were on the 10th floor, near mid-ship, and we could hear the party music pretty clearly. We expected this, and did our best to ignore it and rest – no worries. But after the party, around 1:30a, that’s when the real noise began. Because what better time to re-teak the pool deck than 1:30 in the morning, right? So for two hours, we heard hammers, drills, and planers. This sounded like it was actually coming through every wall at the same time. I cannot express to you how weirdly loud it was. It was impossible to ignore it. If not for the sleepy 10-year-old, we’d have gotten dressed and gone for a drink to wait it out. We tried to call the front desk but our phone didn’t work, so my husband went down to inquire about all the noise. Nothing could be done about it, so we waited until after 3:00, then it quieted enough that we could sleep. The desk did note that we weren’t the only ones bothered by the noise, but there was nothing they could do.

We noticed that the pool wasn’t finished the next morning, so we stopped by the desk to inquire if we were in for another night of the same. We were assured that the remaining work would be quieter, and it was. We weren’t “angling” for anything, just wanted to be prepared if it was to be another late night. But later that day, we received an offer of a free dinner and bottle of wine for our lost night’s sleep, so we booked La Cucina for that evening. I ordered the Lobster fettuccine, and it was awful. Some of the problem was that the ingredients listed on the menu weren’t complete and it has one that I really dislike, but I’d have dealt with that. The main thing was that the pasta was completely under- or over-cooked. I’m not sure which, but it was sticking to my teeth – yuck. I was not going to say a word, one, because it’s embarrassing to be complaining about a meal you were comped due to a complaint, and two, because I just couldn’t believe that an Italian restaurant couldn’t cook pasta correctly. However, the host was noticing that I didn’t eat my meal, and I’m a horrible liar, so when asked what was wrong, I told him. And I kept apologizing, which in retrospect was stupid, but it seemed like the thing to do at the time. They brought me the shrimp risotto instead, and it was pretty good. Maybe La Cucina just isn’t my thing.

Bermuda…ahhhhhh, Bermuda. Beautiful! The prettiest place we’ve been so far, and so clean and friendly. No hard-selling locals here – as a matter of fact, the locals put most of the tourists to shame with their beautiful manners. This was the highlight of the trip and we are already looking into a rental property next summer for a week or two. We really enjoy museums and such and you don’t often get to combine such great beaches with all of the rich history of this place. Almost paradise!

We bought the 3-day transportation pass for the buses and ferries. We could have done with a book of tickets, but it was nicer to just have that pass handy. The bus to Horseshoe Bay Beach is a wild ride – not to be missed! And this was a beautiful beach. The water was a bit chilly, but the air was warm enough that it felt nice. We took the ferries to St. George and Hamilton. We didn’t plan much in the way of tours on this trip, and we really didn’t need to. Both towns are very walkable and there’s plenty to do that won’t require a lot of planning. The one excursion we did through the ship was a Bermuda Triangle Evening Cruise. It was fun. Nothing tremendous. I wouldn’t do it again, but it was nice to do once.

I can’t remember anything else right now, so I’ll stop for now. I don’t do food pictures, but I have lots of pretty pictures of Bermuda and a few of the ship. If I can remember how to post them, I’ll include a few later.

Thanks for reading!

Penny

Penny, thank you for your review! I thought it was really well thought out and not nit-picky. I agree with you about the desserts on the Dawn; most are beautiful, but very few are worth the calories! :) Can you tell me if they have done away with a live band around the pool during the day?

Thank you!

Kathy

you seemed to have a pretty good trip; a few small setbacks; which the staff tried to correct; although you ate in an italian restaurant onboard; there may not have been an italian in the kitchen cooking; but whoever cooked the pasta should know how long to cook it; I assume it was cooked to order and wasn't sitting in a pot of hot water(thus the gummy taste). Thanks for posting

Penny, thank you for your review! I thought it was really well thought out and not nit-picky. I agree with you about the desserts on the Dawn; most are beautiful, but very few are worth the calories! :) Can you tell me if they have done away with a live band around the pool during the day?

Thank you!

Kathy

Thanks! We didn't spend much time on the Lido, as this sailing was CROWDED, and no where more than the pool area. But as we walked through during the day, these were my observations: There was often a band there, but it wasn't always the same one. Sometimes there was the usual calypso-style setup, sometimes there was a lady singing with them and one day some guy with a harmonica was up there with a band, but not the one I was used to seeing. I'm not sure he was part of the plan, as his singing was more of a karaoke-quality, but his harmonica-playing was actually pretty good :p

you seemed to have a pretty good trip; a few small setbacks; which the staff tried to correct; although you ate in an italian restaurant onboard; there may not have been an italian in the kitchen cooking; but whoever cooked the pasta should know how long to cook it; I assume it was cooked to order and wasn't sitting in a pot of hot water(thus the gummy taste). Thanks for posting

I figured that it was cooked to order and I appreciate that effort, but it just wasn't edible. I knew something was wrong when I tried to twirl it on the fork and it was too stiff to stay on the fork. That seems like something they would have noticed when plating, but maybe not. I was really just going to set it aside and go to the buffet later that night, but the host caught me.

You're right though, the staff was wonderfully accommodating. I was impressed with the effort, if not always the results.

How did your child like the kids club activities? My DD who is 9 has been looking forward to this. She has done the Disney kids clubs twice so we know it won't be like that.

My daughter is fairly outgoing and always makes friends quickly when we're vacationing, so she enjoys her time with the kids, but she was not too impressed with the counselors this time. There were a couple (Cello was one) that she really liked. Otherwise, she said they often did not do what was scheduled and seemed to pay more attention to one another than to the kids. She did go to the club often, but mainly to meet up with friends she had made. She had fun overall, but I don't think this trip compared favorably with our others (none of which have been Disney). I think her favorite activities were the 7-10:30 time slot, which was usually when they'd have some sort of "party".

Thanks for taking the time to review.

We ate at La Cusina as the guest of the Hotel Director (HD). It was one of our favorite meal the whole trip. I had Veal Osso Bucco. It was very good.

But as the guest of the (HD) we were able to talk a lot and ask questions. One thing Alaine the (HD) brought up was his fustration in folks not bringing short commings to immediate attention. He realizes the passengers spend a lot of money, and it is his intention to make our vacations a perfect as possible. They can and will try to fix something not right. I too am like you, I don't want to fuss what I consider small stuff. But now I will, the (HD) convinsed me that is what it takes to have the crew do the right stuff. Or cook the right way etc...

That really bites that they had to replace decking over your head at night. I guess there is no good time, but in Bermuda for 2 1/2 days? They could have done it from 8 to noon on a day or two I would think.

Hi, very good review and I enjoyed it blemishes and all. We will be traveling on the Dawn in October.

We have been on over a dozen cruises with NCL. In the beginning I never complained about the "petty" stuff but like NH cruisers upper staff convinced us to voice our problems on the spot and to the correct person. (you don't complain to the safety officer about the food)

Ninety five percent of upper management on a ship want you to be happy and satisfied. I know there are some there just for the pay like any job. I never expect anything I just want my next cruise to be better and to be sure other cruises are satisfied.

So if the food is not done correctly, if the bathrooms are unkempt, if you see something that can be done another way that would be better.... speak up.

Again thanks for the honest Dawn review.

Thanks for taking the time to review.

We ate at La Cusina as the guest of the Hotel Director (HD). It was one of our favorite meal the whole trip. I had Veal Osso Bucco. It was very good.

But as the guest of the (HD) we were able to talk a lot and ask questions. One thing Alaine the (HD) brought up was his fustration in folks not bringing short commings to immediate attention. He realizes the passengers spend a lot of money, and it is his intention to make our vacations a perfect as possible. They can and will try to fix something not right. I too am like you, I don't want to fuss what I consider small stuff. But now I will, the (HD) convinsed me that is what it takes to have the crew do the right stuff. Or cook the right way etc...

That really bites that they had to replace decking over your head at night. I guess there is no good time, but in Bermuda for 2 1/2 days? They could have done it from 8 to noon on a day or two I would think.

...So if the food is not done correctly, if the bathrooms are unkempt, if you see something that can be done another way that would be better.... speak up.

Again thanks for the honest Dawn review.

I guess it's a matter of perspective and attitude. It feels whiny and demanding to point out every little issue. But I know if I were on the receiving end of constructive criticism (delivered considerately), I'd be grateful. Next time, I'll keep that thought in mind and speak up.

:)Thanks!

I think you hit the nail on the head when you pointed out that had you not been travelling with your child, you'd have gone for a drink during the noise. I think who you are travelling with and what your needs are obviously influence your trip - that's why two groups of people can take the same cruise and have different results. When it's just hubby and me, we find we have the ability to "go around" bad service or noisy pool work or whatever, we're flexible. When the kids are with us, our expectations are higher - they have certain needs and of course, mom wants vacation to be perfect and memorable for everyone.

Sorry about your glitches, and hope it won't put you off NCL for good. It's amazing to spend three days in Bermuda, as you discovered, kind of makes it all worthwhile, but you should still be getting good service onboard.

I think you hit the nail on the head when you pointed out that had you not been travelling with your child, you'd have gone for a drink during the noise. I think who you are travelling with and what your needs are obviously influence your trip - that's why two groups of people can take the same cruise and have different results. When it's just hubby and me, we find we have the ability to "go around" bad service or noisy pool work or whatever, we're flexible. When the kids are with us, our expectations are higher - they have certain needs and of course, mom wants vacation to be perfect and memorable for everyone.

Sorry about your glitches, and hope it won't put you off NCL for good. It's amazing to spend three days in Bermuda, as you discovered, kind of makes it all worthwhile, but you should still be getting good service onboard.

I agree with this 100%. My husband and I can turn any situation into a good time, because we choose to. Not everyone is in a position to roll with it, and that can cause a small difficulty to become a major issue.

We will most definitely sail NCL again. None of the things I've mentioned had a meaningful effect on the quality of my vacation. They're just things that I thought might be of interest to someone.

I agree with this 100%. My husband and I can turn any situation into a good time, because we choose to. Not everyone is in a position to roll with it, and that can cause a small difficulty to become a major issue.

We will most definitely sail NCL again. None of the things I've mentioned had a meaningful effect on the quality of my vacation. They're just things that I thought might be of interest to someone.

This is a great point. Hubby and I are about to take our first cruise without our son and I am curious to see how our days (and nights) differ from previous trips.

Thank you for your review. I'm sorry you had a bad experience with the CD staff at the parties.

For me, the NCL dance parties have been consistently the best of the six main stream cruise lines I have sailed with. At the dances, they have encouraged passengers including kids to get up and dance with them. Even at a drizzly sail away from NYC on Jewel, they were getting people to enjoy the fun.

Disney is the 7th cruise line I've been on and to me it is in a category by itself so I don't consider it main stream. Perhaps a Disney Cruise is something you might consider. There is a lot of kids and family interaction on board.

Thank you for your review, we are leaving on the Dawn Aug. 1st and are mid-ship on the 10th floor. How did you hear the music from the White Hot party, I always make sure we have rooms above, below and to the side. LOL I hope the music doesn't travel that far down to our room. So sorry it kept you all awake, at least you got a nice dinner and hopefully it didn't happen again. I agree Bermuda is the most beautiful island we have even been too and can't wait to see it again!!! Glad you enjoyed your cruise and Happy Sailing!!!