$100 tip for butler?

sho

Butlers work very hard and if you are going to spend $ 5,000 on a cruise I'd tip at least $ 210 and that averaged out about $ 30 a day and that's less than 5% which is still low. I'd tip $ 300 if my cruise was at least $ 5,000. Most people tip $ 100 on average for an inside cabin so for suite passengers, you gotta step up and I know $ 210 may sounds a lot but percentage wise, it ain't nothing as compared to what you paid to get in Cagneys.

not to cause a stir but the most I have ever paid in addition to the automatic gratuities in an inside for my cabin steward was 30 or 40 bucks and if the just did an okay job then I didn't tip anything beyond the prepaid gratuities. so idk if the average person tips 100.00 in an inside cabin. just my thoughts, no flaming pls lol [emoji3]

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

I tell them upfront i don't want snacks and ask they don't bother with me and use their time on people who love having them around because i do not. I like the suite for the cabin size and some perks but not all perks. We all have different wants and needs. Most other cruise lines do not have butlers (like Princess) which we cruise most often.

I'm curious as to what the perks are that you still take advantage of? I would think that if the only other reason you book a suite is for size, it would be cheaper to book two connected mini suites or balconies and forgo the butler and concierge.

not to cause a stir but the most I have ever paid in addition to the automatic gratuities in an inside for my cabin steward was 30 or 40 bucks and if the just did an okay job then I didn't tip anything beyond the prepaid gratuities. so idk if the average person tips 100.00 in an inside cabin. just my thoughts, no flaming pls lol [emoji3]

Ah....I said average cabin not person so that's a different. However, if I were to spend 5k on a cruise, I think an extra 5% ($250) of my total cruise cost for my butler is not a whole lot and I wouldn't feel it in my wallet. Of course, my butler would take care everything including all my reservations. I've been on 30+ cruises and just back from the Breakaway and will be going on the Gem this fall to New England. There's no such thing is a bad cruise and if people are willing to spend thousands on a cruise what's a few extra bucks for the servers?

We have always tipped our butler and concierge according to the services they have provided. On our last cruise we had a butler, concierge and (for the first time) an assistant concierge. Where does it end!?

If you have the money to spend it should never end. Enjoy life while you can because you can't take the $$$ with you when you are gone. Look at what happen right now around the world many millions are suffering so I'd never complain "Where does it end" if I can afford a butler and a concierge. Life must be exceptionally good and it all could ended in a nano second when the next monster "asteroid" hit. It happened to the dinosaurs.

I am on the Getaway in September in a haven suite. There is no way I am giving the butler more than $100. I have already paid the cruiseline for the perks. They should pay his salary. I am only tipping him if he goes above and beyond. This tipping thing is getting ridiculous.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Forums mobile app

I am on the Getaway in September in a haven suite. There is no way I am giving the butler more than $100. I have already paid the cruiseline for the perks. They should pay his salary. I am only tipping him if he goes above and beyond. This tipping thing is getting ridiculous.

Butlering is a tipped position. Their income depends on tips, and those tips vary by usage. Your reasoning is basically flawed. It's like going out to dinner, paying $500 for the meal, and tipping $10 because you paid extra for the food -"I paid for the food and atmosphere, so therefore I see no need to tip appropriately". You are confusing the perks with the service. Yes, the perks are included, but tipping for the service is not. You paid to dine in the Haven restaurant, and even for room service delivery, but not the tip for the delivery.

Not saying that $100 is not an appropriate tip, just that the logic is flawed. :)

Robin

Edited by Fishbait17

No need to flame. Inside cabins stewards are in the pool we pay the service charge for. If one does a very good job, we tip extra and that's most of the time. However, our last one did a mediocre job at best (we had to wipe down the shelves when we entered the cabin before putting anything on them) so there was no extra tip.

The butler thing is different as they are not in the tip pool I'm no expert on that but did tip the one time we were in a suite.

If you have the money to spend it should never end. Enjoy life while you can because you can't take the $$$ with you when you are gone. Look at what happen right now around the world many millions are suffering so I'd never complain "Where does it end" if I can afford a butler and a concierge. Life must be exceptionally good and it all could ended in a nano second when the next monster "asteroid" hit. It happened to the dinosaurs.

Ok..........Your aren't an assistant concierge by any chance are you? :confused: We tipped him too, I promise! (Very sorry about the dinosaurs).

I'm curious as to what the perks are that you still take advantage of? I would think that if the only other reason you book a suite is for size, it would be cheaper to book two connected mini suites or balconies and forgo the butler and concierge.

My hubster would pay extra just to be in the Haven/ courtyard. Concierges always ignore us anyway!

Butlering is a tipped position. Their income depends on tips, and those tips vary by usage. Your reasoning is basically flawed. It's like going out to dinner, paying $500 for the meal, and tipping $10 because you paid extra for the food -"I paid for the food and atmosphere, so therefore I see no need to tip appropriately". You are confusing the perks with the service. Yes, the perks are included, but tipping for the service is not. You paid to dine in the Haven restaurant, and even for room service delivery, but not the tip for the delivery.

Not saying that $100 is not an appropriate tip, just that the logic is flawed. :)

Robin

It will be interesting to see what service he will provide.

Just a thought to consider.

Behind a great Butler is usually a great Consierge. The Consierge is the Butlers boss, and they work together to make a special occasion more memorable.

Some say the consierge did nothing. Well I certainly took advantage of what he offered. Early embarkation, early disembarkation, seating in the theater, fixing pre-booked reservations that were flawed, and last but not least, helping the Butler to make a in-suite party very memorable. he always found time to talk to us and let us ask about him.

Our Butler was great, our consierge was so happy when we told him. He said as the boss it made him proud.

Edited by NH Cruisers

Edited: I should stay out of tipping threads. :)

Me too:)

But we did use our butler and tipped accordingly along with a "Hero" Card. Our stewardess was outstanding and we showed our appreciation with a good tip and a "Hero" card. Our concierge is one that many rave about. We found she was nice and made sure that we received all the invitations we were entitled to but beyond that we did not use her or find her to be especially helpful. We both were left with the feeling that perhaps she had "bigger fish to fry" so a token tip and no "Hero" card.

I would have a $$ amount in mind and the ability to go up or down from there. In our experience we have received much better service on the smaller ships (Sky) than the larger (Pearl) and ended up tipping more for a 4 day cruise then we did for a 7 day. We start with $5 pp per day for the butler and $10 pp per day for the concierge. One time most of the money went to the butler and very little to the concierge. We don't have parties or anything like that in our cabin which would increase the the normal amount of work they do.

I have a feeling that most of them will be very happy with what ever you give them. Remember, most cruisers aren't on CC and if they book a suite I'm not sure if they even know the butler and concierge are not included in the DSC.

Breakfast at Cagney's, priority tender, priority check in and for just 2 people why would i pay two single supplements for 2 separate cabins?

I was confused by the comment about most inside cabins tipping $100, as I know they do not even have a butler. How does the poster know most tip this much?

I remember one cruise with my DH's family and he questioned the tipping. His BIL asked him if he wanted his luggage on the pier when we got back. He decided to tip!

I am sure those who can afford much, tip much and those who cannot afford much do not, but give what they can. I am thinking that there is a wide range of what people tip.

I am the one who does the tipping on cruises in our family, as my DH would tip less. I just make envelopes before we leave and go to the bank for cash. I adjust each envelope accordingly throughout the cruise as we use the butler/concierge and the service of the steward. I also keep an envelope with bills for tipping at bars, excursions etc. That way my DH does not even see it and we are both happy.

I'm confused about tipping the standard room steward. Is it standard to tip above the DSC?

That's strictly your call if for some reason you think the Steward went above and beyond. I only have once in the last three times I cruised and it was a minimal gratuity. No obligation for you to leave anything extra.

I would have a $$ amount in mind and the ability to go up or down from there. In our experience we have received much better service on the smaller ships (Sky) than the larger (Pearl) and ended up tipping more for a 4 day cruise then we did for a 7 day. We start with $5 pp per day for the butler and $10 pp per day for the concierge. One time most of the money went to the butler and very little to the concierge. We don't have parties or anything like that in our cabin which would increase the the normal amount of work they do.

I have a feeling that most of them will be very happy with what ever you give them. Remember, most cruisers aren't on CC and if they book a suite I'm not sure if they even know the butler and concierge are not included in the DSC.

Your "calculations logic system" seems fair and reasonable.

I will use this as on my upcoming cruise.! :)

Thanks.

Don

No, the vast majority of people let the discretionary service charge do the tipping for them.

Exactly. NCL has already figured out what is fair and reasonable and charge you accordingly, so no need to reinvent the wheel.

And I do just the opposite, $10 per day for the Butler and $5 per day for the Concierge. Less for the Concierge because I make all my own reservations for dinners, shore excursions, etc. and really don't use their services except for embarkation and disembarkation. And if I'm ignored by the Concierge on my next cruise (will be on the same ship as my last cruise where I was obviously invisible), it will be $10 a day for the Butler and $0 for the Concierge.

That's strictly your call if for some reason you think the Steward went above and beyond. I only have once in the last three times I cruised and it was a minimal gratuity. No obligation for you to leave anything extra.

No, the vast majority of people let the discretionary service charge do the tipping for them.

Exactly. NCL has already figured out what is fair and reasonable and charge you accordingly, so no need to reinvent the wheel.

Great, thanks!

And I do just the opposite, $10 per day for the Butler and $5 per day for the Concierge. Less for the Concierge because I make all my own reservations for dinners, shore excursions, etc. and really don't use their services except for embarkation and disembarkation. And if I'm ignored by the Concierge on my next cruise (will be on the same ship as my last cruise where I was obviously invisible), it will be $10 a day for the Butler and $0 for the Concierge.

With two people in our suite, I will probably do $10 / day for both the butler and concierge and go up from there depending on the service.

IMHO, this seems reasonable and fair.

I agree that people who do not go on CC actually know anything about tipping.

The cruise lines used to provide information on gratuities when you received your cruise tickets, but I do not believe they do this anymore.

Don