Tuxedo or dark suit

I'm taking a cruise aboard a Chrystal Lines ship, and advised that there will be two Formal dinners requiring either a tuxedo, dark suit or dinner jacket. I do have a dark pinstriped suit but want to know if I'd be the only one wearing such a gauche outfit while the others would wear tuxedos or dinner jackets. These are "black time" dinners, so would I literally wear a black tie with my dark suit?

I'm taking a cruise aboard a Chrystal Lines ship, and advised that there will be two Formal dinners requiring either a tuxedo, dark suit or dinner jacket. I do have a dark pinstriped suit but want to know if I'd be the only one wearing such a gauche outfit while the others would wear tuxedos or dinner jackets. These are "black time" dinners, so would I literally wear a black tie with my dark suit?

Did you mean Crystal rather than Chrystal?

Keith

A tux would be the most appropriate, but a dark suit will also be fine.... They won't turn you away, I'm certain! "Black Tie" simply means "formal"....there will be folks in tuxes with different color ties, I would imagine....

If you are taking a Crystal Cruise it is Black Tie Optional.

This means that you can wear a tuxedo, or a suit or you can wear a sport jacket and dress slacks,

I disagree. Typically black tie optional means if you choose to not wear a tux, a dark suit would be the other choice, and a sports jacket and slacks is inappropriate. They are considered smart casual, never semi-formal or formal.

If you have a tux wear the tux, otherwise a dark / black suite will be fine. No sport jackets and such, please! Also, I have often worn my "tux" with a white dinner jacket and the black tux pants depending upon the season and I can assure you that you will not get any harsh stares over doing that.