Seabourn calling at Brunei with its new Sharia laws

markham

Agree with the two posts above this one.

markham.....the OP, you should be pleased with this country's smoking policy. They were ahead of the curve with their 2005 regulations. Your own country has its share of Sharia enforced.

Oregon50,

Not sure what you mean by your post or what you may or may not know about the UK. But never mind... I take it that many posters find travel broadening and hope that you will have more opportunities to do so in the future. Then you can enlighten us all!

Happy sailing!

Keith,

I agree completely that travel is about discovery but the most important thing I will ever discover during my years on this Earth is who I am as a person. There may have been a time in my life when I would have been willing to overlook what the Sultan of Brunei stands for in the interest of "discovering" the country and culture but no longer. I'd much rather be happy discovering a sanguine faced when I look in the mirror.

I have traveled widely including Burma when Ang Si Sun(?) was confined to her home. The political climate has never stopped me from going to a country. However, I think there is a difference between a country welcoming visitors who respect their way of life, and those that require capitulation, at pain of punishment, to visitors who don't know the details of their particular sect of Islam.

and those that require capitulation, at pain of punishment, to visitors who don't know the details of their particular sect of Islam.

Yet, presumably, you would expect a visiting Bruneian to the USA to abide by and be subject to the laws of the US? Even if they didn't know that particular penal code?

The worst a visiting Bruneian who violates the laws of the U.S. can expect is an arrest and trail. He won't be slaughtered for who he loves.

Which doesn't really address the principle that it is not unreasonable for a country to expect visitors to abide by its laws. That some will therefore choose not to visit is valid and understandable. The influence of a SB cruiser opting for a different intinerary is unlikely to shame the Bruneian authorities into changing.

I lived there for a time in the early 90s and it was a relatively tolerant, easy and friendly place to live. I can't believe the people have changed but I certainly wouldn't want to go back now nor would I support the right of a self-appointed few to, literally, have the power of life or death over people who don't subscribe to their moral doctrines.

Edited by Tothesunset

Cruise lines will change itineraries if political and social circumstances make it in their (and their passengers) best interests. A few years ago some cruise lines started adding additional North African stops to their cruises. Political unrest and other changes in that part of the world quickly put an end to that. Some cruise lines have limited their stops in Egypt while the political situation there remains in flux. I would love to visit Egypt some day, but not now (and anyone who has ever been involved in journalism should understand my feelings). More recently many cruise lines changed their Black Sea itineraries after the initial (and continuing) unrest between Ukraine and Russia. Quite frankly, without stops in Crimea and Sevastopol these cruises look a lot less inviting, and sure enough, cruise lines have been advertising big discounts on those cruises. The situation in Brunei should not be unexpected by anyone following political developments in that part of the world. By moving to their "right" the Brunei regime is hoping to keep extremists out of their little part of the oil empire. It may work. And I don't think tourism is a big part of their economy (unlike some of their neighbors) so I don't think it will make a big difference to them whether cruise lines decide to stop there or not. I'm pretty sure the folks at Carnival Corp. read these boards and let's hope it gets their attention. The people of Brunei can have whatever laws they want. (Well, I guess, actually, they can't since they are not really a democracy). But we don't have to go there. We won't. Jeff and Susan

Mr Luxury,

In connection with this thread, are you suggesting that everyone else is suddenly going to be flocking to cruise ships visiting ports with Sharia law?

Somehow I doubt it.

Happy sailing?

Oregon50,

Not sure what you mean by your post or what you may or may not know about the UK. But never mind... I take it that many posters find travel broadening and hope that you will have more opportunities to do so in the future. Then you can enlighten us all!

Happy sailing!

Thank you! We will be boarding Queen Mary 2 next month for our first trip outside the USA. Looking forward to our week long stay in East London.

Thank you! We will be boarding Queen Mary 2 next month for our first trip outside the USA. Looking forward to our week long stay in East London.

Think you may find East London in South Africa! However, if you are going to be staying in the East End of London I am sure you will find it interesting, historical, sometimes challenging, but very friendly with some excellent places to eat and drink.

Think you may find East London in South Africa! However, if you are going to be staying in the East End of London I am sure you will find it interesting, historical, sometimes challenging, but very friendly with some excellent places to eat and drink.

And a few Mosques

With the recent announcement to increase airport security Americans will stop travelling as they usually do when they get this sort of news.

I suspect some might. That's human nature. Nationality has nothing to do with it.

I actually think some people who fly from countries to the USA might put plans on hold too.

But it all will come down to how much all of this is in the news and how real this all might be.

I just want to note that we all have choices. If someone does not want to visit this country they can either not book this cruise or stay on the ship.

I have been on plenty of sailings where guests didn't want to get off the ship including visits to Iran, Saudi Arabia and Egypt just to mention a few in the Middle East or for that matter places such as Vietnam.

But to me that doesn't mean that the cruise line should not offer the opportunity for people to sail these places as long as they are deemed to be safe.

Many countries around the world have done some very terrible things either within their own country or aiding other countries who have done terrible things to others yet people choose to visit them.

Keith