Some Final Questions...

esmo

We are going to be on our first cruise to Alaska leaving on July 12th out of Seattle on the Westerdam. For a variety of reasons we are not going to do any organized excursions this trip (I am anticipating another or several other trips to Alaska!). Here is tentatively what I have planned, anything I should add?

Juneau

Shuttle to Mendenhall, visitor center/view glacier/hike to Nugget Falls

Tram to Mt. Roberts

Self guided walking tour of historic Juneau (map and guide from visitor center)

Shrine of Saint Therese

Sitka

St. Michael's Cathedral and then over to Totem Park

Fortress of the Bears

Raptor Center

Walking tour

Ketchikan

Walking tour

Creek Street

Funicular – Cape Fox Lodge

Victoria

If we get off the ship (depending on whether we get in on time), we might walk along Dallas Road or pick-up a shuttle to Fisherman’s wharf.

One thing I haven’t been able to determine – probably because I am not framing my query’s correctly is any recommendations for galleries in any of the Alaska ports. I would like to pick up some jewelry, pottery, wood carving etc. as a keepsake from our first trip. Also, where are the best places to shop for potential gifts? I don’t want tourist schlock – I’ve got plenty of that at home..;)

Very excited to finally have a chance to take this cruise.

I haven't been to Sitka or Victoria, so can't comment on those.

For shopping we found the best place was Ketchikan. Along Creek street there are various shops. Some sell touristy stuff, but a lot of them sell jewellery and crafts made in Alaska by Alaskans. I don't remember the name of any particular store, but we found some great stuff fairly close to where the funicular starts. They had very good prices too.

In Juneau we went to the Glacier Smoothie soap store. They sell lovely soap made with glacial silt. I love it. Everyone I brought it back for loved it. :)

Have a wonderful time!

My only comments are:

- the Shrine of St Therese is out on the coast ... how will you get there?

- in Ketchikan if you have the time, take the city bus out to Totem Bight to see the park and wander along the waterfront ( look for brightly colored starfish)

In Victoria, we enjoyed shopping in the Rogers Chocolate store on Government Street. There was a really nice jade store next door also. And the trip before that, I recall that there was a pretty nice giftshop at the Fairmont Empress Hotel.

We had some great fish and chips at Barb's Fish & Chips at Fisherman's Wharf. I know you can get a water taxi from there to the Inner Harbour to get to the Empress and Government Street.

Have fun! We love Victoria.

My only comments are:

- the Shrine of St Therese is out on the coast ... how will you get there?

I second this comment. You really need a rental car to get out there. It is a ways out the road with no public transportation.

As others have pointed out the Shrine of St. Therese is well outside of town so you would need some type of transportation. This is also true of Fortress of the Bear in Sitka. While the other things on your list in Sitka are all within walking distance, you need to take the shuttle out to Fortress of the Bear (definitely worth it!). You can purchase tickets for the shuttle at the Information Center located right at the dock.

Also well worth the time in Sitka is seeing the New Archangel Dancers. They put on a wonderful show. Tickets can be purchased at the performance venue which happens to be located right next to the dock as well.

Thanks all. I should have double checked my notes before including the Shrine - that will have to wait for the next time (and there will be a next time!).

Our plan was to take the shuttle and I believe it will drop us at the Raptor Center too?

Thanks all. I should have double checked my notes before including the Shrine - that will have to wait for the next time (and there will be a next time!).

Our plan was to take the shuttle and I believe it will drop us at the Raptor Center too?

Yes it stops there as well which is nice as it is a very long (but pretty!) walk. My suggestion would be to go to Fortress of the Bear on the first shuttle which is what we did and it was just our group, so less crowded. Then have the shuttle drop you at the Raptor Center on the way back to town and then if you are inclined you can walk back from there through the park and along the waterfront. And then visit the sites in town and perhaps the New Archangel dancers. Would make for a very full and lovely day in Sitka - one of my favorite Alaskan ports!! :)

For galleries, google each town's chamber of commerce. That will give you a list of shops and at least some addresses to look for.

I actually have done that, for all three ports (not Victoria) and printed out the pages that I thought pertinant, but I was hoping for (and have gotten) some recommendations to cut down on the amount of shopping time. My husband is a patient, loving man - but even he has his limits when it comes to shopping....;)

I am cutting and pasting the replies into my word document that I will print out and add to my trip binder. (No I am not at all anal!:p).

Esmo

For beautiful handcrafted silver jewelry in Sitka, please visit a tiny shop called Eclipse Designs for unique pieces you won't find anywhere else. Lots of amber pieces. I've purchased several from that shop over the years, this couple - Sarah and Douglas are so talented and do great work. It is located right on the main street in Sitka, you can't miss it. (www.sitkaeclipse.etsy.com)

Another unusual, recently opened shop in Sitka is Alaska Pure Sea Salt Co.. They manufacture sea salt from Sitka Sound - in all flavors! I shipped home some smoked alder salt and lemon/lime salt - both of which are delicious on fresh seafood! It is located on the bottom floor (on the left) of the two story shops next to the traffic light in town. (www.AlaskaPureSeaSalt.com)

Instead of wasting all your time in Ketchikan just wondering around downtown I'd suggest you hop on the city bus and head out to Totem Bight. The ride will give you a much better view of what Ketchikan is like and there is no admission charge to Totem Bight. It seems like a bit of a wasted trip to just walk around and look at tourist stuff around the dock.

Edited by bearbait

I'll second the suggestion to take the city bus ($1 each way, I think) to the Totem Pole Parks (Totem Bight and Potlatch..they are next to each other, a whole 1 minute walk between the two). It is unique and only takes an hour to walk through both.

Also, there are some great galleries on Creek Street for shopping in Ketchikan as others have noted.

Enjoy your first trip!

I also vote for the suggestion of Totem Bight Park and Potlatch Park (right next to each other) in Ketchikan. I was just there last month. Only $1.00 each way on the public bus which runs out there every hour. The bus ride is about 30 to 40 minutes. You would need about an hour to walk through the parks so I would allow 2 1/2 hours total. Very enjoyable trip! Here are some photos.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Trails in the park

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Totem carving house

ry%3D400

We also chose not do any organized excursions on this cruise (this was our second trip to Alaska). We had a great time exploring on our own in each port and doing things at our own pace. Enjoy your cruise!